Hi
    Mar 2018

One bike quiver.. suggestions ..

Hi everyone,

Im having a tough time deciding on a bike.

Im currently riding a trail bike.

In terms of my riding style, I like to challenge myself and enjoy the off trail / backcountry riding the most. Rock gardens, loose shale, steeps. However, by no means am I a racer, expert or EWS rider.

Ideally, Id like something that can take a 2.5-2.8 tire. ( loose stuff)

And Id run a smaller tire for flowy trails and the generally more benign riding.

Id like the bike to have decent higher speed and low speed handing. So ideally, something that does not need to be going mach 3 to wakeup.

Bikes Ive looked at:

Ibis Mojo HD4/3
    SC bronson

Any other suggestions would be appreciated..

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Rocky Mountain Instinct. You can buy this bike in 140mm travel or 155mm travel form and 29er or 27.5+ form (pipeline). The ultimate quicker killer with the spare shock and linkage for lower travel and 29" light duty wheels and tyres, then agressive 27.5+ setup and 155mm shock and linkage for gnar.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    Rocky Mountain Instinct. You can buy this bike in 140mm travel or 155mm travel form and 29er or 27.5+ form (pipeline). The ultimate quicker killer with the spare shock and linkage for lower travel and 29" light duty wheels and tyres, then agressive 27.5+ setup and 155mm shock and linkage for gnar.
    Sounds like a pita changing over wheels, shock and linkage to suit your trail choice for the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dash8driver View Post
    Hi everyone,

Im having a tough time deciding on a bike.

Im currently riding a trail bike.

In terms of my riding style, I like to challenge myself and enjoy the off trail / backcountry riding the most. Rock gardens, loose shale, steeps. However, by no means am I a racer, expert or EWS rider.

Ideally, Id like something that can take a 2.5-2.8 tire. ( loose stuff)

And Id run a smaller tire for flowy trails and the generally more benign riding.

Id like the bike to have decent higher speed and low speed handing. So ideally, something that does not need to be going mach 3 to wakeup.

Bikes Ive looked at:

Ibis Mojo HD4/3
    SC bronson

Any other suggestions would be appreciated..
    Because you mention backcountry I'd stay with Pivot or Ibis because of DWlink or Yeti. Sticking with a 27.5 tire for the maneuverability but still some good travel, I'd point you at the Mojo 3, Yeti SB5, or Mach 5.5. If I could get my self to go to a 27.5, I'd be on a mojo3 or Mach5.5.
    '18 Ibis Ripmo GX/XT

Backup - 2013.5 Stumpy EVO 29 - backup
    '18 Ibis Ripley LS V3 in Vitamin P (retired)

mtbr member
    My Knolly Endorphin doesn't have a DW link but still seems to do the back-country thing ok (even with a coil shock). Plenty of people running 2.6 tyres on them too. It's a really well engineered bike that strikes a great balance between being capable on the fast gnarly stuff without being overkill or dull on the more mellow trails IMO.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I don't know if Trek offers boost, but I highly recommend an EX. I'm hard on bikes and I am always riding in wet weather. The EX I owned was reliable AND durable. It's an all bearing linkage bike for aftermarket bearing purchases, it has decent travel and climbs well.

Just my $.02

Hi
    Mar 2018
    Awesome ideas keep em coming.

Anyone have time aboard a Scott genius ?

mtbr member
    After reading your post and what you wanted I immediately thought Ibis Mojo.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    It's a hard choice because it's hard to go wrong now-a-days. Almost every major manufacturer has a mid-to-longish-travel all mountain bike that pedals well.

I'd second SC Bronson and Ibis Mojo, but would add the following:

Specialized Stumpjumper
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Reign
    Trek Fuel
    Intense Spider/Recluse
    Kona Process
    Scott Genius
    Nukeproof Mega
    Commencal Meta

I'm sure I'm leaving some out. Go demo a few and see which ones you like. I'm partial to VPP and Santa Cruz because I think they pedal awesome and I love the lifetime warranty.

Out of the above list, I've personally demo'd a Stumpjumper and Spider in addition to the Bronson, and I know people with the Ibis and Kona bikes. They are all great, and there's really minimal and incremental differences.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chukwithak View Post
    Because you mention backcountry I'd stay with Pivot or Ibis because of DWlink or Yeti. Sticking with a 27.5 tire for the maneuverability but still some good travel, I'd point you at the Mojo 3, Yeti SB5, or Mach 5.5. If I could get my self to go to a 27.5, I'd be on a mojo3 or Mach5.5.
    I was on a Yeti all last season and into this season, and I am going to have a hard time getting away from the Switch Infinity platform. Pedals amazing.

Hi
    Mar 2018
    Hey everyone !

Just rode a HD4 the thing is mental ! It feels like a big trail bike .. I rode it around on the road as there was no demo available. It climbs like a 5.5 .. it doesent feel big at all. Ive been spoiled by the eagle drivetrain and I didnt miss it. In fact, I forgot I didnt even have it .. its that efficient.

Ive also rode a tracer a prefer this 1000 times over

I would not hesitate to take it on big climbs.

This may be it!

Trying the bronson tomorrow.