Bike everywhere!
    Jul 2011

Old School Huffy rebuild

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some help in a rebuild. A friend of mine was going to throw away an old (I estimate late 80's, early 90's) Huffy Grand Tour - being a bike lover I rescued it from the local scrappers and would like to convert it to a single speed commuter. The frame is in great shape, barely a scratch on it, wiped off some dust and dirt and it still has a nice shine.
    This will be my first major bike project, having only done minor repairs and upgrades to previous bikes. I managed to strip all the parts off and I am now looking at a bare frame. The biggest upgrades I would like are, if possible, to go from a one-piece crankset to a three piece. I also want to go from a 1" threaded to 1" or 1-1/8" threadless for the fork.

Question, is this possible? I found this conversion kit for the BB:
    http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ducts_id=10468

Has anyone tried this before? I don't know if it will work or fall apart after two rides. I'd like to get a nice singlespeed crankset on it and would like to stay away from the heavy, outdated one-piece systems.

As for the fork, I'd like to keep it rigid. I stuck an old 1-1/8 tube in there and it fit fine, but I'm not sure of any other compatibility issues. Anyone know anything I don't?

I appreciate any help or suggestions, thanks! I'm really looking forward to this project and getting onto a singlespeed.

human dehumidifier
    Those crank adapters work fine, but try putting a 1-1/8 headset in the frame to find your compatibility problem

Seems like a waste of money to spend a dime on it, but it's your money so go crazy Chester.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

Titanium junkie
    If you like it, do it to it. You will have a problem with the headset though. Lots of stuff to
    be found on E-bay. Good luck, and post a pic when your done.

Bike everywhere!
    Jul 2011
    Thanks, I've been searching eBay, Amazon and other sites for good deals on some small parts. I just came across the Truvativ American to Euro BB adapter, has anyone tried this before? It seems a bit more reliable than the Pyramid adapter I linked in the OP.

Truvativ BB conversion kit:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...n=&s=&v=glance

Thoughts?
    I have spare bottom bracket and cranks to use with this, seems like a deal to me. Just wondering if there are any known issues. Thanks!

wannabee
    I have a similar BB in my 71 Schwinn Cruiser I redid. They work great!

Bike everywhere!
    Jul 2011
    Awesome, glad to hear it!