Thread: Old Man Bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Old Man Bike

Ok, let me lay out the scenario here...57 yrs old, bad knees and photograph high school XC meets. I want a MB or fat bike that will allow me to get around the courses so some gearing is needed. 2" or better tires I think would be needed as well.

I've been exhausting myself looking at fat bikes but my budget won't allow me to get in the $1500 range and the single speed, heavier cheaper bikes won't be useful on some of these courses, especially with my knees.

Budget in the $500-$700 range so a decent MB should be available.

Also the IGH (e.g., Nuvinci) hubs intrigue me. Are there MBs with that hub available in my price range?

Suggestions welcome!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Go to some local shops ,test ride some bikes ,they are much the same in that price range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes
    This BikeDirect Gravity Point 1 is $419 delivered. Add some Nobby Nic 2.25 Performance tires from ebikestop for extra cushion and grip.
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic Tire 29x2. 25 Performance Folding @ eBikeStop.com

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The Nuvinci hub costs almost $400 retail by itself. So no way are you going to get one in your price range. Fat bikes are also out of your price range. Just buy an XC hard tail 29er and call it good. For instance, there are several different versions of the Specialized Hardrock in your price range. "Decent" is a very subjective term and you get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    Old man bike? I'm envisioning something with a step through frame, tall stem, upright riding position (easy on the neck and back), large padded saddle ... Sound right?

Btw, I'm 49 so no spring chicken, either. And I agree that virtually any decent hardtail would get it done. Most come with a very useful gear range, good-sized tires and sufficient handlebar adjustments to find a comfortable fit.
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

AZ
    banned
    Hard tail, triple crank for the gearing and 2.35 tires for some flotation and cush. Please don't buy a bike you can't test ride. The LBS should be able to swap stems and bars to get you the position on the bike that suits you. You'll probably appreciate a 29er for its roll over.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    All good suggestions and I'll start hitting the LBS and do the test drive thing!

Yeah, all the above, step thru frame, wide saddle to match my big arse and in a trike configuration so I don't have to balance!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nocanrun View Post
    and in a trike configuration so i don't have to balance!
    lol
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

mtbr member
    57 is not old! Maybe you can sell your Jitterbug and put a little more dough towards the bike. Don't forget the basket to carry your bag of Werthers.