Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Old bike crap

  1. #1
    Contains no juice.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,376

    Old bike crap

    No, this is not a thread about old bikes, it's a thread about unused bike products, i.e. shock pumps, chain tools, pumps, etc. I just found a bag of stuff (hoarder!) that included a shock pump (I must have three, now), brand new brake pads for a bike I don't even have anymore, patch kits (now tubeless), various Allen wrenches, oy, the list goes on. I even have a couple of bikes I could stand to get rid of (an old Marin Bear Valley), a Specialized Allez road bike I bought from a friend because he isn't into the sport and was asking a ridiculously low price for, the list goes on & on & on.

    Any ideas on what to do with this stuff? How do I clean house?

  2. #2
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    32,290
    Didnít we do this in the Off Camber forum a couple of years ago? Pretty sure we did. It was a ďPay it ForwardĒ thread. Announce what ya got and those that bite itís free game. All they have to do is pay shipping. Is that what you are going for Finch? We all have something we could part with but feel guilty at charging someone. May as well pay it forward.

    If thatís not inline with the thoughts of this thread then have at it: Iím waiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  3. #3
    Contains no juice.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,376
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Didnít we do this in the Off Camber forum a couple of years ago? Pretty sure we did. It was a ďPay it ForwardĒ thread. Announce what ya got and those that bite itís free game. All they have to do is pay shipping. Is that what you are going for Finch? We all have something we could part with but feel guilty at charging someone. May as well pay it forward.

    If thatís not inline with the thoughts of this thread then have at it: Iím waiting.
    That's good thinking, but, damn, to list all the stuff I have would be rather daunting. And it seems to me the posters on mtbr probably have the same problem I have, that they have too much stuff, or they have dupes of gear. My main focus would be to put together packages for newbies who want to get into the sport, but don't have the bucks. But jeez, just getting the right parts into the right hands (brake pads, etc.) would be a royal pita. I'm almost thinking of giving the spare stuff to the LBS and letting them sort it out.

    Maybe I should check around to see if there's going to be a local bike swap meet or something.

  4. #4
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,767
    I see bike swap meets listed on CL, but I guess you still have to sort it out.
    The Orange Fleet:

    '16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

  5. #5
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,538
    Kids.

    Have a few.


    Was able to recycle all sorts of goodies as both my son and daughter got into riding.

    Things like 9 speed drive trains, 26" tires, V-brakes. Problem is, my son, now 11 and he's pretty good, has acquired some tastes that surpass his disposable income....

    Things like clutch-less 9 speed drive trains, and V-brakes are "pretty lame dad".

    If he wasn't so good at riding I'd just tell him "stifle", but since he's riding pretty well, we can't have sub-par gear holding him back can we?


    So, despite holding on to shoe boxes full of parts since, like the 90's, waiting for my kid's, only some of the stuff found a home with them. In reality most of that gear is getting used up on my winter/mud bikes.


    Adaptors - I have boxes with just adaptors for all sorts of things. I have adaptors for adaptors...

  6. #6
    Bicycles aren't motorized
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,706
    Take it all to the local bike co-op or Big Brothers/Big Sisters etc.
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

    Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

  7. #7
    Contains no juice.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,376
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Take it all to the local bike co-op or Big Brothers/Big Sisters etc.
    Excellent idea. This is 45 minutes away from me: Home - Sacramento Bicycle Kitchen

    Thanks.

  8. #8
    Contains no juice.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Kids.

    Have a few.


    Was able to recycle all sorts of goodies as both my son and daughter got into riding.

    Things like 9 speed drive trains, 26" tires, V-brakes. Problem is, my son, now 11 and he's pretty good, has acquired some tastes that surpass his disposable income....

    Things like clutch-less 9 speed drive trains, and V-brakes are "pretty lame dad".

    If he wasn't so good at riding I'd just tell him "stifle", but since he's riding pretty well, we can't have sub-par gear holding him back can we?


    So, despite holding on to shoe boxes full of parts since, like the 90's, waiting for my kid's, only some of the stuff found a home with them. In reality most of that gear is getting used up on my winter/mud bikes.


    Adaptors - I have boxes with just adaptors for all sorts of things. I have adaptors for adaptors...
    Adaptors for adaptors = sig worthy!

    As I am in the twilight/sunset of my years, kids are out of the question, lol. Thankfully.

  9. #9
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,914
    I drop off my old gear (not just bike stuff but also all sports stuff) at a local consignment shop. Iíve gotten hundreds of dollars back for things Iíve long forgotten without having to do any Craigslist monkey business.

  10. #10
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,482
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Take it all to the local bike co-op or Big Brothers/Big Sisters etc.
    I was going to suggest the same. Once things chill at work in another couple of months, I'm going to sort through my junk and make a big donation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

  11. #11
    Contains no juice.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I drop off my old gear (not just bike stuff but also all sports stuff) at a local consignment shop. Iíve gotten hundreds of dollars back for things Iíve long forgotten without having to do any Craigslist monkey business.
    I find it hard to believe I'd be able to get money for an old chainbreaker or a mismatched set of Allen wrenches. Most of the extra stuff I have is small bits & pieces.

  12. #12
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,208
    One of my LBS's has a ...secondary?..shop in an old shed behind the shop. There are old bikes back there that are good bikes, but maybe need a part, and some random tools, and maybe even some parts that will fit those bikes. I've seen kids from a neighborhood that is.....plainly not a place well off people live....walk past the shop, and into the shop, and stare at bikes. And I've seen these guys go put something (safe, reliable, maybe not shiny and new, but solid) together and give it to these kids, or to parents who ask about "junk bikes" they can fix up for their kids - I've seen them let some of those kids pick through a box of your random hex keys and tell them to find the one they need and take it. So there's no doubt what I'd do with your stuff if it was in my garage. Maybe there's a place like that somewhere near you?

  13. #13
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,482
    I was just checking out the Atlanta co-op and found a link to another one at my alma mater, which is even closer to me; though the co-op does have several drop off locations at some LBSes. So anyone looking for a place to drop off parts may want to check nearby universities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: djlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    258
    My race team organized a collection and donated to the local high school mtb team. The kids (and their coaches) were very appreciative. Some of the kit/parts were quite usable, and some of the tools might help a kid learn to do his/her own maintenance. I've even seen some of the kids riding around wearing/using my old gear. Brings a smile to my face when I see them and I say hello and wish them good luck...
    Is this where I write something witty?

Similar Threads

  1. Does making you bike look like crap deter thieves?
    By digitalayon in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-11-2017, 07:57 PM
  2. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-13-2015, 09:56 AM
  3. Crap Mountain Bike Husbands Say
    By Enduramil in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-14-2012, 10:41 AM
  4. Two "oh crap" moments on a bike trail...
    By getagrip in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 12:17 AM
  5. How to keep the crap off of my bike while transporting it??
    By Bryank930 in forum Cars and Bike Racks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-17-2011, 08:53 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.