mtbr member

OK to put Judy Butter in a new fork?

I just bought a new (NOS '08 model) RS Tora 289 U-turn with no lockout. It's pretty basic except for the U-turn. It felt a little sticky so before I installed it I took the lowers off to lube it with Judy Butter. I was surprised to find that the only lube in it was oil. After putting some Judy Butter on the bushings it's now a little less sticky and moves nicer.

So here's the question(s):
    1) Why doesn't RS use their own lube on new forks?
    2) Did I do anything wrong?
    3) I didn't put any new oil in the lowers to replace what came out when I took the lowers off. I can't see what having a few cc's sloshing around in the base of the lowers is supposed to do for you other than to act as a corrosion inhibitor or something. Is there anything wrong with that?
    4) Do new forks get sticky if they sit for years before being installed?

I've given an '08 Dart 3 and '04 Judy TT (both bought new in the last year) the same treatment and was really satisfied with the results, but am I doing anything wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Pollution Warrior
    1) Why doesn't RS use their own lube on new forks?
    they want you to buy their lube
    2) Did I do anything wrong?
    if you wanna lube your stanchions, there's nothing wrong with that.
    3) I didn't put any new oil in the lowers to replace what came out when I took the lowers off. I can't see what having a few cc's sloshing around in the base of the lowers is supposed to do for you other than to act as a corrosion inhibitor or something. Is there anything wrong with that?
    that oil does serve an important purpose. that sloshing does inhibit corrosion, but more importantly, the seals dry out unless they're kept moist. they fail when they dry out. on some forks (like my Fox Float RL), that oil is an important part of the valves in the suspension, and without the oil, the fork doesn't work as well. you'd be well-served to replace the oil with entirely new stuff. I'm not familiar with your model of fork, but I suspect like with mine, suspension oil for motorcycles will work.[/quote]
    4) Do new forks get sticky if they sit for years before being installed?
    If the wipers and seals dry out from not being cycled, yes, they can. many forks actually benefit from being stored inverted so the oil keeps those seals/wipers moist. Usually cycling the fork will get the internals moistened up a bit and it will smooth out.
    I've given an '08 Dart 3 and '04 Judy TT (both bought new in the last year) the same treatment and was really satisfied with the results, but am I doing anything wrong?
    Other than not replacing the fork oil, no. Replace the fork oil and you'll be in good shape. Losing a few drops isn't necessarily going to ruin the fork, but that means there's less fluid inside there to keep the internals moist, what fluid that's left can break down more quickly, and it could goof with some of the valving if your fork depends on some of that fluid for damping.

mtbr member
    I was under the impression(after rebuilding my dart3 with srams instructions) that the oil that comes out of the lowers is just the oil that leaked out of the stanchions. Might want to make sure it's full up top.

Not sure about the Judy Butter but might help with the other bit.

mtbr member
    i just installed new 2010 R/S tora 318 on my bike, now im all paranoid that i have to take them off and take them apart too see if i have the same problem.Being new i assumed i was good for a while before having to attempt my first ever break down & service job on sus. forks!..is it likely i might need to lub mine to?
    " The Revolution Will Not Be Motorised "

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=jacktro]i just installed new 2010 R/S tora 318 on my bike, now im all paranoid that i have to take them off and take them apart too see if i have the same problem.

I wouldn't say it was a problem. I just wanted to make sure I didn't mess anything up. You might want to try putting on some Judy Butter though to see if you can get it working better than it is now though.

How should Judy Butter be applied? I imagine you can do more harm than good with too much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jacktro
    i just installed new 2010 R/S tora 318 on my bike, now im all paranoid that i have to take them off and take them apart too see if i have the same problem.Being new i assumed i was good for a while before having to attempt my first ever break down & service job on sus. forks!..is it likely i might need to lub mine to?
    Follow the manufacturers instructions and don't take apart a new fork just because somebody on the internet did.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollution Warrior
    How should Judy Butter be applied? I imagine you can do more harm than good with too much.
    Use a clean rag (!!!).
    Clean all the way around your stantions with the rag.
    Spread a thin amount of judy butter all the way around your stantion, the closer to the seal, the easier the next step is.
    Cycle your fork a few times, make sure the ring of judy butter you've applied actually cycles past your seals.
    Clean all the way around your stantions to remove the excess judy butter (leaving butter on the stantion will cause dirt to accumulate and stick, which isn't very good for the seals)

Applying too much isn't "bad" since excess won't get past the seal, it's just wasteful and makes it a bit harder to clean up afterward.
    Everypony loves riding bikes

I Have Cookies
    It's just grease.......
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

????

Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    It's just grease.......
    So I should stop putting it on toast