mtbr member

Oh, Snap! (a brief build photo essay)

1. Wait a minute Mr. Postman
    2. Tryng to strike a balance between trick and cheap
    3. Legit Cane Creek press adapters and $6 press
    4. Almost done - shake-down ride around the block, new pad wear-in
    5. Ready to race

First hour on dirt, finished second this evening in a local BMX race, 31-35 Cruiser. Stoked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oh, Snap! (a brief build photo essay)-snap_box_08_23_2012.jpg  

Oh, Snap! (a brief build photo essay)-snap_03.jpg  

Oh, Snap! (a brief build photo essay)-snap_04.jpg  

Oh, Snap! (a brief build photo essay)-snap_01.jpg  

Oh, Snap! (a brief build photo essay)-snap_02.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    dude, thats a sweet ride! where did you do the bmx race?

i built up a 1x9 jackal to cruise around the local bmx park (calabazas), or the one in pleasanton, and also to trail ride in the winter if we get another wet winter.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Snfoilhat View Post
    1. Wait a minute Mr. Postman
    2. Tryng to strike a balance between trick and cheap
    3. Legit Cane Creek press adapters and $6 press
    4. Almost done - shake-down ride around the block, new pad wear-in
    5. Ready to race

First hour on dirt, finished second this evening in a local BMX race, 31-35 Cruiser. Stoked.
    NICE, like your handiman press too (c:

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

mtbr member
    They allow geared bikes in the cruiser classes?

Cool looking bike!

mtbr member
    @dth656 I practice at Pleasanton and race at Santa Clara PAL BMX, occasionally making it out to the Manzanita (Prunedale, CA) and Manteca tracks. Calabazas every once in a while. Say Hi if we ever bump into each other.

@ gnewcomer Thanks!

@elcaro1101 You are allowed to ride any bicycle in the cruiser class so long as both wheels are at least 24" diameter and your bars are no more than 30" wide. No other restrictions. I find it to be really fun, and it has improved my riding (bike handling, decision making, sprinting) a lot. I think more mountain bikers should be out there.

Inexpensive, low-key racing, good atmosphere, families, children and women participating is more central and much less of a side-show than in many mtb disciplines. And the more mountain bikers there are that get into gated racing, the bigger the push for access to dual slalom, four-cross (which the US is pretty short on) and pump and skills parks (which we could use more of). Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    wow, i'm so stoked! i checked out the PAL website, but still had a few questions:

-is the racing by age bracket, and is there a class for absolute noobs (i'm in my 30s, but have never raced before)?
    -are shorts allowed w/ kneepads, or is it pants only?
    -can you just show up before 6PM on a tuesday, purchase the USABMX membership, and race same day? i'm planning on going next tuesday...

thanks! i'll def say hi if i see you at calabazas or pleasanton. i'm on a black jackal w/ no decals, and i'm usually the only dork wearing a camelbak
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    The real deal of BMX is the 20". There you have novice -> intermediate -> expert skill levels and all the age groups. Cruisers are all lumped together skill-wise, and broken up only by age. This means that at a local race you get a real mix of people on the gate. You can pay $3 to just practice, but I think the racing is a good experience. Even if you are the one rider that doesn't make the main event, you still get to race the 2 or 3 qualifying motos against people going pretty hard. You miss out on only one lap, essentially.

Shorts and knee pads are OK if your shins are covered. The material covering your legs can be socks if you don't have a knee-shin combo type pad. You'll get a feel after visiting for how the rule gets interpreted and enforced.

You can definitely join USABMX and race the same day. Reg has a separate window for new members. You can also get the membership requirement waived for a single day trial.

Good luck!