Sweat is just fat crying.

ODI's new and amazing Girth Grips

As some of you may know, I have my ears (ok, hearing aids) close to the ground when it comes to product innovation, and I happened to have the hearing aids to the railroad rails when this news was in the infancy pipeline. As a result, I was offered one of the first sets of the product (as explained below) for review. Without further a-doo-doo, here is my review, adapted slightly to the MTBR crowd (ok, maybe 2 or 3 of you). You know who you are.

Well, ODI, maker of the ever-popular Lock-On grips, has hit the jackpot once again. For people like me with big hands, long fingers or both (and you know what THAT means!), they've come out with Girth Grips. Girth Grips are super-fat bar grips that are 3 inches in diameter. I repeat, 3 FOCKING INCHES IN DIAMETER! (Do I really need the exclamation point?) Going in a totally opposite direction of the grips that are paper-thin and make you feel like you're gripping a pencil wrapped in SaranWrap, Girth Grips allow you to ride in total comfort; absorbing bar shock with aplomb, and letting you ride for hours without fatigue.

As seen in the picture, I've mounted a set on my bike, and have been riding the hell out of them. I can't tell you what a difference this has made in my riding style & prowess. So I won't. For more reviews, just keep an eye peeled to your favorite mountain biking magazine, as ODI plans an all-out print media blitz in the December mags (as Mountain Bike Action's February issue is already out, see either the March issue, out on November 3rd, or April's issue, due Nov. 15th). Bike Magazine has plans in the works for an entire issue of a future mag dedicated to Squamish (oh, and Girth Grips) riding. A little bit of trivia here for you trivia buffs: The Girth Grip was almost called The Squamish, but cooler heads prevailed.

Plans to come out with a Lock-On version are being considered, but industry insiders insist that there is no need for the Lock-Ons, it will only add to the cost.

Made of a space-age rubber from the Alibangbang (Bauhinia malabarica) tree, the ODI Girth Grips slide on regulation-diameter bars with ease, and tighten tenatiously to the bar within minutes, without the consumer needing to do a thing, other than gape in amazement. To remove the grip, simply blast it with any airhorn-type device. Or anything over 130 db will suffice. Soundwaves counter the grip on the bar, using a complicated mathematical equation that I don't understand, unless Sheldon plans to explain it on The Big Bang Theory anytime soon. All I know is that Penny can hold my Girth Grip any time she wants, if you know what I mean and I'm sure you do.

So! Please keep an eye peeled to your favorite mag for a review. I'm going riding with my new Girth Grips!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ODI's new and amazing Girth Grips-odi-girth-grip.jpg  

Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Pfft. If you can reach your grips, your bars are too narrow.

mtbr member
    very nice. :P

brakes optional?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Very nice TROLL !

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Will they fit a 29er?

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

Chamois Dropper
    They work great, just remember the plastic insert. If not you have to blow it off with the compressor.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

wannabee
    That just seems rediculous.

PRETENDURO
    A couple XL buttplugs from an adult novelty shop should work too, right?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Chamois Dropper
    I thought all the cool kids had 'em...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ODI's new and amazing Girth Grips-download.jpg  

2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

usually cranky
    trololololol

mtbr member
    I guess some guys just like taking the bigger girth.

mtbr member
    Thanx for sharin Finch Platte. They look like they'd be worth a try.

What am I missing with this troll talk?
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'll wait for the larger ones to come out. They'll get it figured out just like wheel sizes. A new standard every few years.

mtbr member
    If they were any bigger you could just steer with your shoulders.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Are these the new 2.9er grips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    If they were any bigger you could just steer with your shoulders.
    Or your boobs. Don't have boobs yet? How old are you?
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

WWYD?
    Can you post a pic of someone gripping it? Looks way too big and I have XL hands!

mtbr member
    ODI Choads

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostRing View Post
    ODI Choads
    On the Left Coast I've also heard it called: "Chode"

PRETENDURO
    You’ll all soon see… just give it time… they’ll come out with special grips “specially designed” around 650b wheels/tires.

And in a few more months, they’ll have grips “specially suited” for the 32-inch wheeled Walmart bikes as well.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
    Can you post a pic of someone gripping it? Looks way too big and I have XL hands!
    It's the size of a beer cozy. You don't have a problem gripping one of those, do you?

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    It's the size of a beer cozy. You don't have a problem gripping one of those, do you?
    Mr. Platte, I've got doublewrapped bars on my commuter, but nothing like those ODIs. Do they compress? And how does drinking while braking work with those? Like holding a beer can in a cozy while riding?

Odi Drink Coozies > Accessories > Gifts and Novelties | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Last edited by johnnyb; 10-20-2012 at 08:55 PM.