mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Oakley Flak Jackets peeling...

Recently I've noticed a problem on my Oakley Flak Jackets. The part of the frame near the temple, between the two rubber pieces, is beginning to show wrinkles and peeling in the finish. Has anyone had a similar issue? Is this a normal problem from sweating and working out with these shades or all shades for that matter? I'll be contacting Oakley customer service to see what they can do just in case.
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

I DON'T avoid rocks.

mtbr member
    This is one of the main reasons I don't buy Oakleys anymore. I had several pair and they degraded quickly. Their painted frames are known to bubble and peel. I had a pair of silver/blue XX's that did just as you describe. I don't know if it is the flexing of the plastic, but they definitely don't hold up. The non-painted Oakleys don't have this problem.

responsible zombie owner
    I have a cheap of pair of sunglasses with different lenses that I often use to ride with, and the finish on those is peeling off. It's to be expected when painted/coated plastic meets sweat I guess. I also have non-painted Oakleys with prescription lenses for when I really need to see where I'm going, those don't have any issues.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Engineer The Future Now!
    Do you wear sunscreen or bug spray out on the trails?
    holy...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I don't normally wear sunscreen, but a few times I have. I'm sure the issue has to do with sweating. Here in South Texas you sweat just stepping out of the truck. I guess the thing that bothers me is this is the type of thing you expect to happen to cheaper sunglasses. I've had countless pair of cheapies do this and never would have expected it from a brand like Oakley. I'll definitely give the Rudy Project shades and SpyOptics a look.
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

I DON'T avoid rocks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i here sweat will damage them

responsible zombie owner
    I doubt Spy glasses will be any better, I've not been impressed by the quality of ones I've looked at.