mtbr member

Numbness in thumb and pointer finger

So recently the last two rides Iíve been on Iím pushing as hard and fast as I can. I broke my elbow last fall ďhahaĒ and my confidence and seems to be back. Now it seems though anything after 6 miles I start getting a tingle in thumb and index fingers on both sides. Moreso on the side the wasnít broken. Never had this issue last season but I did change to a 10 mm higher bar but the sweeps and widths are all the same. Any thoughts? My cousin says Ive got death grip but he was to far behind to see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sethd513 View Post
    So recently the last two rides Iíve been on Iím pushing as hard and fast as I can. I broke my elbow last fall ďhahaĒ and my confidence and seems to be back. Now it seems though anything after 6 miles I start getting a tingle in thumb and index fingers on both sides. Moreso on the side the wasnít broken. Never had this issue last season but I did change to a 10 mm higher bar but the sweeps and widths are all the same. Any thoughts? My cousin says Ive got death grip but he was to far behind to see

Sounds like carpal tunnel syndrome. Allot of riders get it. I've had it for years. Irritating, but you can live with it.

Not only is my short term memory horrible, but so is my short term memory.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    First thing I'd do is switch back to the lower bars to see if that's involved.

since 4/10/2009
    Yup, first ruleout should be any changes in bar positioning.

I will get numbness if other parts of cockpit setup aren't right, either. Maybe the injury/time off the bike has resulted in some slight changes in your setup needs.

Today I was demoing some bikes and the brake/shifter setup just wasn't working for me. SRAM brakes/shifting with the integrated clamps. I run independent clamps so I can position brakes and shifters exactly how I like them. Get the brake how I like it, and the shifter was in the wrong spot. Getting either how I liked it resulted in stretching to reach the other, causing issues. Further, these SRAM brakes took way too much effort to get the power I wanted. 2 different bikes. Same brakes. Same result. I was dealing with sore/numb hands a lot today. Spent a lot of time 2-finger braking because my index fingers were trashed.

mtbr member

Numbness in thumb and pointer finger

The change was a 5mm rise aluminum bontrager bar to a 15 mm rise bontragercarbon bar. I use to ride the bike with an aluminum 15mm before going to the 5 mm. Also I changed breaks from elixir 5 to level tlm. Maybe I need to tweak the bar position and controls

since 4/10/2009
    Maybe I need to tweak the bar position and controls

Sounds like the change in bar height probably came with changes to control locations. Definitely spend some time adjusting things before you start spending money. If you can move spacers to lower the bar, I would consider that, too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Sounds like the change in bar height probably came with changes to control locations. Definitely spend some time adjusting things before you start spending money. If you can move spacers to lower the bar, I would consider that, too.

Iíve wanted to try dropping the bar as Iíve gone from my low bb adjustment to high along with upgrading to clipless. Now that Iím typing this Iím realizing that when I changed the bb height thatís when all this started to happen. So maybe it is just slight adjustment on the cockpit.

mtbr member
    Carpal tunnel could very well be the case. I've had problems in the past.

More recently I have bulging disks in my neck that were causing some numbness. Doing all the same things to address carpal tunnel helped only a little. I'M getting a spinal epidural steroid shot later this month to help with that.

mtbr member
    Iíve had a kink in my neck on the left side for about two weeks. Been waiting for the chiropractor appointment. Iím all banged up since the wife had me moving boulders for the last few weeks. I get my neck cracked Monday, Iíll take my bike apart and clean it and try to realign the cockpit and maybe take a few more days off of riding.

mtbr member
    Probably not relevant, but I sometimes wake up at night and find my thumb and index finger numb from sleeping on my arm somehow. Some nerve somewhere is getting pinched.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Numbness in thumb and pointer finger-f5289cc1-2b55-41ea-9a10-268ba16c44c0.jpg
    I fought numbness for years on the mountain bike but was mostly ok on the road machine. Then I saw a vid on bar sweep. Stuns me I never figured it out on my own. Changed the sweep from 9 degrees to 31 with Watsonís Cycle Revelation bar. Changed everything. Mostly flat bar was the issue. All negatives issue disappeared. I am still amazed I can ride 50 miles in comfort.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Numbness in thumb and pointer finger-7af7a39c-fdd8-4c0f-9a4a-71fc617b6e85.jpg  

Numbness in thumb and pointer finger-c5d79bf5-e12b-4c30-86e1-c22d5bcf0634.jpg  

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5289CC1-2B55-41EA-9A10-268BA16C44C0.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	1197839
    I fought numbness for years on the mountain bike but was mostly ok on the road machine. Then I saw a vid on bar sweep. Stuns me I never figured it out on my own. Changed the sweep from 9 degrees to 31 with Watsonís Cycle Revelation bar. Changed everything. Mostly flat bar was the issue. All negatives issue disappeared. I am still amazed I can ride 50 miles in comfort.
    Lol. Good chance to show off your car collection.
    "Does anyone here speak jive?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5289CC1-2B55-41EA-9A10-268BA16C44C0.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	1197839
    Good deal. I also got a more ergonomic angled bar for myself this year. Definitely an improvement but as I mention above, the root cause of most my problems is in my neck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I much prefer to take photos on the trail in scenic spots but....I stopped carrying my phone last year when I switched to a cell watch so for now, garage pics only. The 911 looks real dirty. I just removed the cover and had not touched it yet.

weekdays..
    Dec 2009

Sounds like your shoulders are in a different position (possibly pinching a nerve) than you were used to in your previous setup. Iirc pinch in the elbows would be more likely to cause that in the pinky/ring finger
    video=youtube;][/video]...

mtbr member
    Do you think using the Mino Link to move the bb and head tube angle .5* can be fixed with dropping the stem 10mm? Or is that more of a 5 mm change in stem height? I think I need a metric tape measure.

mtbr member
    Well I dropped the bars and it seemed to get rid of some shoulder pressue and then I rotated the bars forward and which took pressure off the outsides of my hands and makes them feel more even on the grips. Hopefully try it out tonight and see if itís better.

mtbr member
    Doesnít seem to be better. I adjusted the cockpit so my breaks are straight in line with my forearms. Shifter and dropper followed suit. My bike is climbing great now but it seems the Downhills cause the numbness. When I flipped my link from low 65* to high 65.5* should I of raised the stem not lowered?

I know I changed bars and all this pain is new to this year but literally they are the same bar, with a 10mm rise difference. I donít know why moving the stem isnít helping unless the lower the stem the shorter it needs to be to get back to that set up.

Before numbness I was running 20mm of spacing under the stem on the low setting. Now on the high setting Iím running 10mm under then stem.

Any thoughts ?

weekdays..
    Dec 2009
    Keep in mind, no handlebars are exactly the same..and everyone goes thru this matching personal ergonomics on new setups, just do one change at a time till dialed..when I get diff bars, it usually takes at least a couple tries at rotating them in the stem to find that average position where pressure points in the palm are minimal for climbing and dh..generally rotated more forward can cause too much pressure @ thumb side of the palm, bars rotated more twards the rear of the bike can adjust more pressure to pinky side of the palm.
    video=youtube;][/video]...

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Yup!
    American and German.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.