Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Not too impressed with Chris King c.s.

I bought a King headset new from a lbs over the weekend. When I got it home, I realized it was the old o-ring style cap, so it must have sat on the shelf a while. Called Chris King up and they basically told me "yep, it's the old style, we sold it to the shop, its the shop's inventory, we can sell you an upgrade cap though". I realize it's not their fault the shop was selling a 3 year old hs as new, but they didn't exactly make a happy customer out of me. I had their stuff on other bikes i have owned, but I won't be buying any more of their stuff if a part that cost them pennies to produce is too dear to make a customer happy.

mtbr member
    Did the shop mislead you somehow on how old it was?

If I were you I would just return it and have them order you the new version.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

Front Range, Colorado
    Bottom line is it was the shop that screwed you why hold it against CK.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

I think their customer service is fantastic. They still service my 20 year old headsets. I think you should have looked at the headset a little closer when you bought it.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    I recommend taking it back to the LBS you purchased it from and see if they can order you the current version.

Maybe CK customer service didn't meet your expectations, but really the LBS is the one you should hold accountable.

mtbr member
    I do not see how it is Chris King's fault that you bought the wrong headset. Also I don't think that they are entitled to give you anything. Go back and talk to the LBS and see if you can work out a deal. People need to take more personal responsibility before giving the company a bad name.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill View Post
    I do not see how it is Chris King's fault that you bought the wrong headset. Also I don't think that they are entitled to give you anything. Go back and talk to the LBS and see if you can work out a deal. People need to take more personal responsibility before giving the company a bad name.
    +one

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Considering it's been 3 years since they started using compression rings, I don't think I should have been expected to scrutinize the packaging. No worries. I will make the 200 mile round trip and return it this weekend, and then I think I will go buy a Cane Creek 110. Customer service is how you deal with issues like this. You might think they are fantastic. I have a different opinion based on my experience, and just because you haven't had a bad experience doesn't make mine invalid.

OTB Pro

RE: Not too impressed with Chris King c.s.

But you didn't have a bad experience. You even said it wasn't CKs fault above. Why hold them accountable and expect to give you anything when it was the shop's fault in the first place?
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I guess I feel like they should upgrade the cap based on how little effort it would take and the fact that ultimately the fault doesn't lie with me. I'm not gonna worry about it at this point. I'll take it back and get a CC 110. Won't have to examine it to make sure it's not old stock on a shelf.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So what you are suggesting is that a company buy back all of its dealer's old stock every time the company makes a design change? No company does that and they would not be in business for long if they did. Sounds like you are more upset at yourself for not verifying what you purchased beforehand and now have to make a 200 mile round trip to fix your own mistake.

One Gear

It's a LBS problem, not CK. Mail it back for a refund and save the gas.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Well, this is clearly a sores fault, ck has nothing to do with it. Also you should have been a little more careful when you bought it..

mtbr member
    If I lived 100 miles from a bike shop (that's not even considered "local" IMO) I would have just purchased it from the interwebs... Plenty of CK authorized dealers on the web.

mtbr member
    I find it really odd that you are blaming this on CK. You bought the wrong headset, dude. Own it.
    2011 Trance x1

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Not to mention that design has worked flawlessly for many thousands of people.
    It doesn't need fixing.
    It was never recalled.
    And you can purchase the new part easily.
    File under: whine
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    No, you didn't buy a, "Chris King headset new". You bought a CK HS NOS.

Could you imagine if just one tenth of one percent of the people who bought the old HS suddenly decided CK should upgrade the cap for free. They would go out of business.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ugapug View Post
    Oh, you've hurt my feelings. Punk ass *****. Somehow, I doubt you'd be quite so tough in person, e-stud.

At any rate, it's only 30 bucks to upgrade the upper bearing cap, which is a helluva lot cheaper than driving back. As someone who spent quite a few years in customer service at a hobby shop, I think I know what good service is. I would have told the customer that the headset was new but sitting on the shelf a long time, but that's just me. However, ultimately, it's King's product, regardless of where it was sold. I would have probably upgraded the cap if I were them, but that's just me, I guess they can do no wrong in your eyes. You're damned right I was upset when I got home and found that they sold me a freaking 3 year out of date headset. Is it the WRONG headset, dude? No, it's just using an outdated retention method. Luckily, it can be fixed. I doubt I'll go back to the shop I got it from, however.
    So, are you keeping the headset now?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ugapug View Post
    Oh, you've hurt my feelings. Punk ass *****. Somehow, I doubt you'd be quite so tough in person, e-stud.

At any rate, it's only 30 bucks to upgrade the upper bearing cap, which is a helluva lot cheaper than driving back. As someone who spent quite a few years in customer service at a hobby shop, I think I know what good service is. I would have told the customer that the headset was new but sitting on the shelf a long time, but that's just me. However, ultimately, it's King's product, regardless of where it was sold. I would have probably upgraded the cap if I were them, but that's just me, I guess they can do no wrong in your eyes. You're damned right I was upset when I got home and found that they sold me a freaking 3 year out of date headset. Is it the WRONG headset, dude? No, it's just using an outdated retention method. Luckily, it can be fixed. I doubt I'll go back to the shop I got it from, however.
    Wow, I hope you dont run a business, because if you run it the way you are describing it wont be around for long.

It sucks that you purchased the previous version headset (You did not order the new version from CK and they made a shipping mistake - if that was the case then ya, it would have been poor CS)

Good news is there is nothing wrong with the previous version CK headsets - I have used them on several bikes with zero issues.

Out of curiosity, what size fork is going to be mounted in the headset?

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Could you imagine if just one tenth of one percent of the people who bought the old HS suddenly decided CK should upgrade the cap for free. They would go out of business.
    I wouldn't be one of those people, because I've had 2 CK headsets in continuous use for 12+ years on XC and DH applications, have never replaced or upgraded anything, and haven't even had them apart other than putting them in new frames when the old frames break.

And I have no idea what problem I'm supposed to have been having all these years that this upgrade would solve.

I'd just install the headset and ride it. Worry less. Way less.

mtbr member
    Same here! It's only like the most trouble free part in mountain bike history. I'd say that he probably got it pretty cheap, but he did buy it from an LBS. You know how that goes.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

It's about showing up.
    Chris Kings has no responsibility in this; it is between you and the shop. But, and perhaps more importantly, I don't know why this is problem. I have these "old" headsets on 4 bikes and have for years.
    I don't rattle.

The Original Suspect
    The CS issue seems to be with your LBS, not Chris King. Deal with them before hitting up the manufacturer.

The Brutally Handsome
    I get what the OP is saying. It's just like the other day when I found some expired milk in my fridge, so I took it and threw it at a cow for making it.

mtbr member
    On the next episode of "When Threads Go Wrong":

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler View Post
    I get what the OP is saying. It's just like the other day when I found some expired milk in my fridge, so I took it and threw it at a cow for making it.
    2011 Trance x1

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast