mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Not impressed with 5.10 so far

I just purchased some 5.10 Spitfire shoes and a pair of DMR V8 pedals. They are nowhere close to "sticking like glue" like I have read all over the internet. Could I have possible got a pair of old stock not so grippy stealth rubber shoes? I plan to replace the removable pins with "terror pins" to see if that helps; otherwise, this turned out to be money wasted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Are you using the 'low heels' technique.
    Straight Lines with Fabien Barel - YouTube
    That's not the sole on the Impacts. It's different.
    Technique should make it work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Also, keeping more of your weight on your feet instead of your seat and hands helps a ton.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I did lower my seat a bit so that I can get more weight on my pedals and ride a bit more aggressively. This did not seem to help. I thought "Stealth rubber" was "Stealth rubber"? The Impacts are the only shoes with sticky Stealth rubber? Heels down does increase grip when coasting but when trying to pedal over a 20 foot long rooted section my feet are all over the place. I will just have to see if the 10mm pins help. I do like the feel of the shoes and flat pedals vs. clipless. It makes me feel like a kid again on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have free riders and they're great. When they say sticky as glue they mean laterally not vertically. I can lift my foot off the pedal but can't slide my foot around on the pedal if there is any weight on it.

If you want to be able to pull straight up on the pedal you need to use clip less pedals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenrats View Post
    I have free riders and they're great. When they say sticky as glue they mean laterally not vertically. I can lift my foot off the pedal but can't slide my foot around on the pedal if there is any weight on it.

If you want to be able to pull straight up on the pedal you need to use clip less pedals.
    I never said I wanted to pull up on the pedals. I do understand basic physics. I am wanting my feet to grip the pedals when pedaling over roots and not slip. I think I bought some bum shoes from Amazon. The soles on my Asics are more grippy and sticky that the Stealth rubber on my particular shoes.

I'd rather be on my bike
    For lateral and vertical grip, no matter what anyone says, clipless 100% prevents slipping in either direction. There are so many claims on this and other forums that sticky shoes and good flat pedals have just as much stick/grip as clipless. That is physically impossible. You are learning this the hard and somewhat expensive way.
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 2421/2500

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by googas7070 View Post
    I did lower my seat a bit so that I can get more weight on my pedals and ride a bit more aggressively. This did not seem to help. I thought "Stealth rubber" was "Stealth rubber"? The Impacts are the only shoes with sticky Stealth rubber? Heels down does increase grip when coasting but when trying to pedal over a 20 foot long rooted section my feet are all over the place. I will just have to see if the 10mm pins help. I do like the feel of the shoes and flat pedals vs. clipless. It makes me feel like a kid again on the bike.
    When I first switched to flats (10 years of clipless) I had to really concentrate on keeping pressure between my feet and the pedals when pedaling on rougher terrain while seated. Perhaps try riding that section standing? If it doesn't stick then maybe it's time for clipless. I've had zero feet slipping issues while standing on big chunk, the 510s stick when riding standing. I have 510's and the rubber is a little tacky but not noticeably more than a typical sneaker, I doubt the rubber on your soles is the problem, I think it may just be learning a little different riding technique.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    is he sitfire the skate type shoe? it has a somewhat higher ankle support and the sole is really flexible? If so, then I rode these for at least 18 months before wering them out. i thught they stuck rgeat. i am now using the desert impact that I got on closeout, the rubber seems to be the same just the sole is way more stiff than the spitfire.

if you came from clipless to flats recently then consider that you have to press down into the pedal on fkats, 5.10s don't minimize the need to do this. there is no comparison, cliples is better grip because of the mechanical connection, unless you get unwanted ejections.

bummer that 5.10s aren't working for you, maybe give it more of a try with pressing and if it doesn't help then time to move on, cost of doing business...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    For lateral and vertical grip, no matter what anyone says, clipless 100% prevents slipping in either direction. There are so many claims on this and other forums that sticky shoes and good flat pedals have just as much stick/grip as clipless. That is physically impossible. You are learning this the hard and somewhat expensive way.
    I've never seen people claim that both styles of pedals are the same amount of grip. It is obvious that being mechanically clipped in is going to prevent almost all slipping. I just switched from clipless to flats after about 10 years, and I will say that the grip is absolutely amazing, but I have to relearn how to actually jump my bike since I can no longer pull up on the pedals the lazy man way.

He sounds like maybe he has some rounded off pins on his pedals if he even somewhat has decent riding form. I say try some new pins on your pedals before giving up. It is a lot of fun to ride without being clipped in.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by googas7070 View Post
    I did lower my seat a bit so that I can get more weight on my pedals and ride a bit more aggressively. This did not seem to help. I thought "Stealth rubber" was "Stealth rubber"?
    No, there are several varieties. Stealth Rubber is Five Ten's rubber brand.

Five Ten describes the Spitfire as a 'casual, all-day shoe.' It's not going to perform as well on pedals as a shoe like the Impact or Freerider that are designed as bike shoes and have the S1 rubber. Or now the Mi6 rubber on the redesigned (and improved) VXi versions.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

derp
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Never seen anyone say that platforms have more vertical grip than clipless, that doesn't make any sense ... horizontally though i prefer my flats/5.10 combo than my clipless/Alpine combo.

In the end it's all about the technique.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    My N=1 experience: after riding clipless all my life, I recently bought some 5-10's and Canfield ultimates. I was amazed at the grip. Far more than I expected. I've not once slipped on the pedals and thought "I wish these had more friction/grip"

My only problem is managing staying connected when I get air. But that's technique and has nothing to do with grip.

EDIT: FYI, I have the Freerider VXI.
    Last edited by matto6; 07-07-2014 at 08:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I use half the available pins on my flats with little to no slip. Just gotta learn to ride without being clipped in. My first couple years I had terrible technique and my shins paid for it. You'll get it down soon if you keep focusing on keeping your body low and feet planted

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There's quite a few formulas. MI6 is far stickier than the other ones because it will actually stick to the smooth body of the pedal (Rubber originally made for Tom Cruise when climbing the Burj Khalifa). It's also softer, about 40a instead of 60a durometer so it will deform around the pins.

Also, check their website since they're always discontinuing and bringing back the same shoes, sometimes changing the rubber.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    i have spitfires and freeriders. the spitfire I use as a walk around shoe, it's ok but nowhere near as sticky as the freeriders. The freeriders feel like they're sucking the ground when I walk in them, I use them as commuting shoe as they let me pedal as well as clipless but easier to stop/start in city traffic

Dissolved member
    IMHO 5.10 does themselves a bad service by calling all their soles "Stealth" even if they are different animals on different shoes.
    My Spitfires have this green "Stealth" sole. It is thin, soft, and not very grippy.

I also have a pair of Karvers. The difference in their grip is huge, day and night. They almost grip too well if such a condition exists. And the sole is stiff. STIFF!

Get shoes with the stiff, grippy sole and be happy. The Spitfires may not be it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    As mentioned before, if you just came from clip-less, it's a different animal and it takes awhile. I've also rode clip-less for last 10+ years and switched to flats a couple months ago. First couple weeks you'll regret it, after first month you'll be used to them. Jump and bunny hop everything in sight on the trail and get used to the technique. The only downfall so far with my setup is the extremely steep and loose sections that I can barely climb with clip-less, I'll still slip a pedal or pull a foot off now and then trying to put down too much power. I'm running 5.10 guide tennies with wellgo and origin 8 ultim8 pedals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Are you using the 'low heels' technique.
    Straight Lines with Fabien Barel - YouTube
    That's not the sole on the Impacts. It's different.
    Technique should make it work.
    Thanks for the cool and helpful post. I can't wait to try it out next session.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

You might consider flat pedals with more spikes. Five Tens are good, but they like a great pedal. The v8 is not the best.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Update......Installed the 10mm pins last night and took the bike for a spin. Much better grip than before. I'll hit the trails this weekend if it is dry enough for a proper test ride.

mtbr member
    Next time you need shoes try the Freerider!! That is the STicK you are wondering about! I do wear my Freerider shoes EVERY day, tho they are MTB spacific shoes (Spitfires are more for casual wear) they clean up so well with the garden hose (trail dust rinse off) I wear them to work all day err day!!
    THE tuffest shoe I have ever owned.. getting a little smelly as my feet sweat! LOL
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

Yes, using "meh" shoes with "meh" pedals feels pretty "meh".

I put Blackspire Sub4 pedals on my mtb earlier this year and they felt pretty nice with regular trail shoes, but grippiness was lacking. I got some Freeriders and the grip on those is pretty serious. My ankles aren't all that flexible so it's hard for me to ride with dropped heels all the time, but even still, I don't have any problems hitting the chunk at speed.

mtbr member
    I for one can say technique matters more than anything else. Never ridden clipless (with right ankle damage that requires surgery to fix the idea of them makes me cringe) and I know problems of feet coming off plenty. Good pedals matter too, I prefer the ones that use set screws over pins as the sharpness of the end and threads coming to the very tip helps alot.

Currently using $25 pair of target skater shoes (mossimo) and mixed with CB 50/50 pedals I couldn't be happier. Working on balance of when to release weight on my feet for pedaling efficiency vs when to put weight back on so rough stuff doesn't knock a foot loose. I can say doesn't matter what I hit while up off the seat, feet dont move. Once I get more of the technique as "second nature" I will spend the money on some 5 10s. Till then my shins bare the marks of a rider that's still learning (and the pain of it is a great motivator lol)
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    "Yes, using "meh" shoes with "meh" pedals feels pretty "meh"."

I remember posts like this in the Mustang forums back when I drove one. "Meh" is not helpful. I am sure your Sub4's are "meh" to someone that owns some Atlas pedals. Happy riding.