mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Nokian Extreme 296 tires and MUD ???

Here in Southeastern Pennsylvannia the temperatures have risen to above freezing and the ICE and snow is disappearing from the trails. I imagine by the weekend the trails will be mostly mud with some icey spots. Has anyone ridden on their studded Nokian Extreme tires in the mud? How were they? I should probably throw on a pair of Schwalbe Black Sharks or Conti Vert pros, but it will probably snow and freeze up again next week.
    Thanks. -Bob

mtbr member

Not to start any sort of pissing war, but please refrain from riding on the trails

when they are wet and muddy. If you notice, most trails in our area SE PA are clearly posted "Do not ride if trails are soft". If you need to ride, get out on the trails in the early AM when the temps are below freezing and the trails are still hard. Once they start to soften up.....stop. There are a lot of people who spend a lot of time building and maintaining these trails and don't need them ruined or closed.

Thanks
    KMan

Quote Originally Posted by XCBob
    Here in Southeastern Pennsylvannia the temperatures have risen to above freezing and the ICE and snow is disappearing from the trails. I imagine by the weekend the trails will be mostly mud with some icey spots. Has anyone ridden on their studded Nokian Extreme tires in the mud? How were they? I should probably throw on a pair of Schwalbe Black Sharks or Conti Vert pros, but it will probably snow and freeze up again next week.
    Thanks. -Bob

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KMan
    when they are wet and muddy. If you notice, most trails in our area SE PA are clearly posted "Do not ride if trails are soft". If you need to ride, get out on the trails in the early AM when the temps are below freezing and the trails are still hard. Once they start to soften up.....stop. There are a lot of people who spend a lot of time building and maintaining these trails and don't need them ruined or closed.

Thanks
    KMan
    I'm hoping by the weekend things will dry out enough to ride.