mtbr member
    Feb 2004

No water bottle cages on frame, need to carry another bottle... suggestions?

What options are out there to carry 1 or 2 water bottles on a frame with no mounts? Well, I should say my frame has a water bottle mount... on the BOTTOM of the downtube, which is useless to me.

So, what about seatpost mount cages? Do they hold bottles securely and not get in your way when riding? I think I've seen them in 1 and 2 bottle versions.

What other options are out there?

Looking to do a 50 mile race with only one feed zone and much prefer not take a camelback. I have carried 2 bottles in my back pockets but am looking for a better way.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

****** to the ski hills
    Handle bar cages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    http://thewoodgallery.blogspot.ca/

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'll splash my eye out!
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

mtbr member
    Seatpost mount cages originated from time trial bikes, as far as I know, and they work fine on regular road bikes.

The ones I've used would put the bottle in the way for descending on a MTB, though. If they weren't angled up, I'd be a bit concerned that you would lose a bottle.

I would wear a hydration pack. I only have bottle cages on my road bike anyway-- CX and MTB I always wear a hydration pack.

Front Range, Colorado
    Buy an Awesome Strap and all your troubles have just begun.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Essentially, to install a water bottle cage some where, you can clamp it to something or bolt the cage to something. Is it possible you might want to have a cage bolted to your seatpost? If you don't lower your seat, then you can drill holes and install nutserts. Here's an example of a tool you can use.

Nutsert Hand Tool Kit Metric Conversion Part Kit | eBay

They are essentially rivets with threads in them. A bike shop might be willing to do this for you. Other then that, I guess you have to bolt a tri type setup to your seat? Or they make those little bottles with straws in them that bolt to the handlebar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Checkout two fish, strap on water bottle cages. There are some that clip onto the back of your seat. Also ones that fit onto the top cap of the steerer tube. Better yet, one of those football drinking helmets, a can on each side of your head. Twisty tubes and all.

I like pie.
    One word: Camelbak.

Water bottles are a hassle to use when you are riding fast or hard. Camelbaks easy to hydrate with and you can carry more than what a couple of 28oz bottles will hold.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Checkout two fish, strap on water bottle cages. There are some that clip onto the back of your seat. Also ones that fit onto the top cap of the steerer tube. Better yet, one of those football drinking helmets, a can on each side of your head. Twisty tubes and all.
    Ditto. Twofish Unlimited
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Zip ties, brah. Wrap the frame with a bit of used inner tube to protect it. Three good sized zip ties, pulled tight with a "fourth hand" type tool, that sucker ain't moving anywhere.

Of course, this only works with non-fancy bottle cages...

Robertson
    Specialized SWAT bib! Put the water bottle in the back pocket, it holds it nice and tight to your body.

So Stoked!
    water bottle lid... it should work for a favorite bevy

Name:  beer-hat-beer-helmet-pic-8.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  15.4 KB
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

****** to the ski hills
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    it is even held on by a amazing strap type of thing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Camelback , just get a basic 70 oz version with no extra pockets. Once you get used to it, you will buy another with pockets

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    A buddy and I rode up pikes peak last September, he used a seat post water bottle holder to carry extra water for the ride, it worked fine. I sometimes throw a small bottle in my middle jersey pocket and then drink it first. Hydro pack would be best, get a life straw that can attach to the hose on a hydro pack and you can refill along the way if necessary.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    One word: Camelbak.

Water bottles are a hassle to use when you are riding fast or hard. Camelbaks easy to hydrate with and you can carry more than what a couple of 28oz bottles will hold.
    +1 when I brought my GT IDrive it didn't have a usable mount for a water bottle. I've also used a Nathan hydration waist pack thar holds 2 water bottles.

slow
    I have used my handlebar feedbag to hold an extra bottle on occasion. It will even hold a larger Nalgene type bottle.
    My feedbag is a J.Paks Ruksak, but there are many other types. It can also be used for many other things, can be removed, and more than one can be installed. It is out of the way except during all but the steepest climbs.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    I have used my handlebar feedbag to hold an extra bottle on occasion. It will even hold a larger Nalgene type bottle.
    My feedbag is a J.Paks Ruksak, but there are many other types. It can also be used for many other things, can be removed, and more than one can be installed. It is out of the way except during all but the steepest climbs.
    Wow! that thing kicks ass on the Awesome Strap.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Lotsa bikepackers run hydration bladders in frame bags, e.g. revelate's tangle bag. Jandd makes a similar bag that's less expensive but also fine quality.

the half breed devil
    "Looking to do a 50 mile race with only one feed zone and much prefer not take a camelback."

"Camelback , just get a basic 70 oz version with no extra pockets. Once you get used to it, you will buy another with pockets"

"One word: Camelbak.

Water bottles are a hassle to use when you are riding fast or hard. Camelbaks easy to hydrate with and you can carry more than what a couple of 28oz bottles will hold."

OK...ONCE AGAIN...

"Looking to do a 50 mile race with only one feed zone and much prefer not take a camelback."

<sigh>

Air Pirate
    For a bike-mounted hydration system check out the Showers Pass Veleau. I have not used one but it looks like a good alternative to a hydration pack if one does not wish to mount bottle cages all over the bike. The text on the product page states it was designed by a guy who didn't want to carry a hydration pack on a 100 mile mountain bike race. 42 ounces of fluid. $95 bucks.

Name:  VelEau on road bike.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  6.6 KB
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Elitest thrill junkie
    I would get a backpack and fill it with water bottles.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

****** to the ski hills
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    For a bike-mounted hydration system check out the Showers Pass Veleau. I have not used one but it looks like a good alternative to a hydration pack if one does not wish to mount bottle cages all over the bike. The text on the product page states it was designed by a guy who didn't want to carry a hydration pack on a 100 mile mountain bike race. 42 ounces of fluid. $95 bucks.

Name:  VelEau on road bike.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  6.6 KB
    42oz doesn't seem like a lot of fluid for a ride.

edit: sorry my conversion isn't that good. but 1.2 litres would only be good for a short ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomFL View Post
    Looking to do a 50 mile race with only one feed zone and much prefer not take a camelback. I have carried 2 bottles in my back pockets but am looking for a better way.
    What no Camelbak? I am doing a 50 mile race this weekend and will be bring 2 large waterbottles AND my 100oz camelbak. There are 3 feedzones, but I perfer to be self sufficient and not have to rely on water. Plus I can make up time by not stopping to refill in those areas. I have done a number of unsuported 45 to 100 mile rides and always carry 2 bottles and plant to stop and add water or filter. I once did a 37 miles with my camelbak and 1 water bottle and ran out of water.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.