Thread: Nikon D50

mtbr member
    May 2005

Nikon D50

Anyone using this camera for mountain bike photos?? I would appreciate any input regarding this camera before i go ahead and buy it. I consider myself a beginner in photography and want something that has decent quality and is easy to use.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by leev373
    Anyone using this camera for mountain bike photos?? I would appreciate any input regarding this camera before i go ahead and buy it. I consider myself a beginner in photography and want something that has decent quality and is easy to use.

Thanks in advance
    You should go Canon instead.
    my bike is a $250 "department store" full suspension bike... seriously....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You might want to give a little more detail on that. I unfortunately have no experience with Nikon so cannot give you input on that. All i can tell you is I have a Canon 300D and am happy with it, although it has limitations. Some people rag on the plastic (polycarbonate) body, but it has proven to be durable, & lighter. Even better is the 350D which has improved functionality & is smaller & lighter. Always a good thing when packing it on the bike. I think Canon lenses tend to be a little cheaper than Nikon, something to consider if you're starting from scratch. But honestly the Nikon is a fine camera and I'm sure will work just as well as a Canon. If you want to get into technical specs check out dpreview.com.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nViATi
    You should go Canon instead.
    I'm a Nikon owner and I'm more open-minded than that.

I have a D70 and I don't have any experience with the D50 so I cannot give you any input.

Any reason you chose the D50?

mtbr member
    I've got a D70 and it's been wonderful for mtb photos.

As to the Canon vs. Nikon debate-- people take it way too seriously. You will be very happy with either brand. The lenses are of equal quality. They sometimes go about things different ways, but it's really just an interface thing. Go try out a few models in a camera store and pick the one you're most comfortable with. You really can't go wrong. Here's a comparison chart if you really must get lost in the specs: http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...D70SvsXT.shtml

Good luck with your decision, I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you get! You will learn so much in the first few months, just from being able to experiment so much more and make mistakes with no penalty. Instant feeback helps quite a bit too! Enjoy!

I've attached a few quick pics I found on this computer taken with my d70. I've got some better ones around somewhere, these were taken in my first month with the camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Forgot to mention, regarding d50 vs. d70, I think as a beginner you'll be plenty happy with the d50, but if you suspect you'll be getting more serious sometime soon, I'd consider jumping up to the d70. Two features I can think of off the top of my head: the d70 has a higher max shutter speed (1/8000th) and the built in speedlight can act as a commander in a wireless flash setup--something that I just jumped into, and am totally blown away by. Haven't had the opportunity to try it out with biking yet, but I can't wait. Basically it just lets you set up a compatible seperate flash anywhere you like and the d70'll trigger it and get the right exposure every time. Wonderful system. On the d50 you would need a more expensive flash to act as "commander", so if that feature is something that appeals to you, it's cheaper to buy the d70 and the cheaper compatible flash (SB-600) as your wireless unit.
    Ignore all that if it sounds silly or too complicated.

Oh and I believe both the d50 and d70 have a higher flash sync speed (1/500th) than the digital rebel. That's something that can be very helpful when you want some fill-flash as you take pictures of your buddies riding down a shadowy trail.

Oh and I'm going to attach one more pic just to show that all this technical nonsense is irrelevant if you get creative and have fun with your photos. This one was taken with an older 35mm Nikon F4 and a fairly cheap 17mm lens. Again, good luck and happy photo-taking!
    Attached Images Attached Images

just along for the ride
    Photos are real photography digital is snapshotsville due to lack of F stop control, JMHO, still saving my old Nikon FTN, F2 and F3, nothing beats a real photo! Excellent picture, notice the speed, show me that in a digital shot

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If you plan to upgrade down the line, the high end Canons beat the Nikons.

Pain Is A State Of Mind
    Quote Originally Posted by leev373

Thanks in advance
    Well i have a D70 and i very much like the quality of the photos though i am currently in the process of upgrading to a D200(it is 5 shots a second opposed to the D70 3 shots)

if youd like to check out my gallery to see the D70's quailty its in my signature!

P.S. the D50 is just a smaller body and less function version of the D70 but there the same quality photos!

Oh and im 15 so i am kinda rough on my cameras!
    Opportunity awaits those that are worthy....
    Photamagrapher---http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=244688

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    D50 Edged out the Canon for Editors Choice in PC magazine...
    Either one of these SLR's mentioned will be a TON of camera for a beginner....
    You cant go wrong with any of them really

dpreview.com has great reviews and lots of technical insight you can regurgitate on your favorite forums
    CDT
    Edit: And if you consider buying on fleabay, wach out. Most of those outfits will sell a kick a$$ camera bundled with a TON of low rent accessories you wont need or wont like....Off brand filters, batteries etc etc

mtbr member
    Nice photos, Alex!
    I wish I could afford an upgrade to a D200 too.
    If frames per second is all you're after though, buy an old 35mm. My F4 does 8fps. Also something to consider if you're rough on your cameras. I backpack and bike often with the F4. I've banged it on rocks, had it in rainstorms, etc. etc. Zero issues. I wouldn't dare do the same with my D70.

"Photos are real photography digital is snapshotsville due to lack of F stop control, JMHO, still saving my old Nikon FTN, F2 and F3, nothing beats a real photo! Excellent picture, notice the speed, show me that in a digital shot."

Every digital slr I know of lets you control the aperture.
    And I would gladly show you that shot in digital if I had a full-frame dslr or a 10mm lens.

That being said, I do love film, and my F4 gets very frequent use. I think we should leave a digital vs. film debate out of it. I think it's irrelevant to the OP and in my opinion, his photography skills will benefit more from the flexibility, feedback, and convenience of digital.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hiccup
    Nice photos, Alex!
    I wish I could afford an upgrade to a D200 too.
    If frames per second is all you're after though, buy an old 35mm. My F4 does 8fps. Also something to consider if you're rough on your cameras. I backpack and bike often with the F4. I've banged it on rocks, had it in rainstorms, etc. etc. Zero issues. I wouldn't dare do the same with my D70.

"Photos are real photography digital is snapshotsville due to lack of F stop control, JMHO, still saving my old Nikon FTN, F2 and F3, nothing beats a real photo! Excellent picture, notice the speed, show me that in a digital shot."

Every digital slr I know of lets you control the aperture.
    And I would gladly show you that shot in digital if I had a full-frame dslr or a 10mm lens.

That being said, I do love film, and my F4 gets very frequent use. I think we should leave a digital vs. film debate out of it. I think it's irrelevant to the OP and in my opinion, his photography skills will benefit more from the flexibility, feedback, and convenience of digital.
    It's hard to improve using film unless you are really hardcore. The excessive cost and the fact that post processing with it is so time consuming and expensive really makes it hard to shoot a lot and process a lot. With digital you can just use memory cards and you only need to shell out some money for photoshop cs2.
    I'll admit that i wish my 20D had the body of one of those old old all metal super rugged 35mm cameras

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nViATi
    It's hard to improve using film unless you are really hardcore. The excessive cost and the fact that post processing with it is so time consuming and expensive really makes it hard to shoot a lot and process a lot. With digital you can just use memory cards and you only need to shell out some money for photoshop cs2.
    I'll admit that i wish my 20D had the body of one of those old old all metal super rugged 35mm cameras
    Agreed, digital is by far the best way to learn quickly.

A good friend of mine has a 20d, very excellent camera!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    thanks for everyone's posts. they have been informative. keep them coming.

Silence! I kill you!

I haven't used the D50

But I have a D70 and I love it. The Canon vs Nikon debate is like Windows vs Macs- its gonna go on forever and there really is no right answer. You should ask this question over on the Nikon forum at www.DPReview.com, which is

http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=51

Also for some examples of MTB shots I've gotten from my D70 check out this gallery. All but two of those were taken with my D70. THe thrid and fourth from the end were taken with a Nikon D1
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    Photos are real photography digital is snapshotsville due to lack of F stop control, JMHO, still saving my old Nikon FTN, F2 and F3, nothing beats a real photo! Excellent picture, notice the speed, show me that in a digital shot
    Do these digital photos portray speed?

or this?

Taken with a Canon G5. That being said, I'll be ordering a d50 soon.

Film is nice but too expensive. Hell, it's death bed has been made.

Nikon to nixe film
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

R.I.P. DogFriend

From a die-hard Canon (currently shooting with a 20D) user:

Before you consider which camera body to buy, consider which 'system' to invest in. Most importantly, which lens 'system' you wish to use. For proof of this, consider how long lenses stay on the market (many, many years in most cases) and how long DSLR camera bodies stay on the market (1&1/2 to 3 years maximum).

You may not want to hear this, but your lens collection will likely outlast your camera purchase and unfortunately cost much more. Do lots of thinking about which which ones you want and what's available.

The good news is that if you decide to switch early in your journey, it won't be as expensive as it would be after several years of collecting and 'investing' and lenses hold their value quite well.

Personally I think the D50 is a great value and I would not tell someone not to buy a Nikon. They make plenty of excellent lenses and many prefer their interface and ergonomics.

Once you get into a DSLR like those from Nikon or Canon, YOU will be the most limiting factor in producing excellent images. You will also soon discover (at great peril to your savings) how much fun it is to shoot with fine lenses.

My guess is that you will likely start out with a zoom lens of some sort, but I highly recommend treating yourself to a fast prime to go along with it.

Don't let the brand loyalists sway you, they are both great..... 'systems'

Regards,

Group Hug Participant
    You know you can use your old Nikon Lenses with a new Nikon SLR, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

R.I.P. DogFriend

Obviously Photoshop'd....

Just kidding. Nice captures.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by striker
    Do these digital photos portray speed?

or this?

Taken with a Canon G5. That being said, I'll be ordering a d50 soon.

Film is nice but too expensive. Hell, it's death bed has been made.

Nikon to nixe film

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I don't understand the argument about film a bunch of posts back. Film, digital, the optics & results are basically the same. You get the same control of aperture & shutter speed on a film point & shoot as a digital point & shoot. Actually thats not true, there are many digital point and shoots now (those G5 shots are a prime example) that offer way more control than film point & shoots. Basically, film is dying. It'll still be around for the specialty market, but for the majority film is dead. Just look at Nikon, they just annouced that they are ceasing film camera production for all but the high end stuff. Kodak scaled down out of film a while ago. Don't get me wrong, i like film. I learned with film & going into the darkroom. But digital is so much more convenient & quicker to learn on.
    To give you some feedback on my 300D, I've had it for more than a year, actually prob going on over two. I've taken it riding. I've taken it snowboarding & crashed multiple times, once bruising a rib. I draged it off a 3 foot high stone wall onto asphalt (imagine my horror at that one as my brand new L lens was only hours old when that happened!) It still works fine!
    My advice is to go to a shop & handle different models. Play with the features. Play with the control setup & figure out which one feels better to you. Image quality between the cameras is going to be so close it won't really matter. Megapixels also won't be such a huge difference, mine is 6 which might sound low by current standards, it's plenty good for almost all situations. Invest in good lenses. I find for riding I use wide angle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Just to jump in on the debate. I went through this last year as I decided to move from the Pentax SLR and Lenses I had been using to a DSLR. I always swore I would go with Nikon, but ended up with Canon. It was close enough that I still am not sure I would choose the same again. Here were the factors I found important:

Nikon:

I preferred the D70 interface. I think it works better than Canon. I like the faster shutter sinc on the Nikon. The downsides of the D70 were weight, size (Canon 20D sized), and concernes about the sensor getting dirty and needing to be sent to Nikon (common problem).

Canon:

I looked closely at the 20D and Rebel XT. I ended up with the Rebel because of its smaller size but slightly prefer the egronomics of the 20D. The XT is smaller and lighter than the Canon, has slightly better image quality as high ISO's and has faster focusing. The big thing that pushed me over was the availability of internally stablized lenses for the Canons.

As far as the guys post above concerning film v. digital, wtf are you talking about. You have just as much control with a DSLR as with a Film SLR. Film is dead as there is nothing it does better than digital.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    No, I am aware the Nikon makes IS lenses but their choices are far less than Canon's. For a do it all lens, Canon offers the 18-85is which is a great carry around lens. Nikons widest IS zoom is the 24-120 which is simply not wide enough on the wide side for a 1.5-1.6x camera.

As I said before, even today, I would have a hard time choosing as both cameras are so good. I really think it comes down to personal preference.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    i can't believe you guys ride around with $1000 cameras. i'm afraid of breaking my $200 camera. that would REALLY suck if you crashed with one of those babies in tow...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekFan
    i can't believe you guys ride around with $1000 cameras. i'm afraid of breaking my $200 camera. that would REALLY suck if you crashed with one of those babies in tow...
    Unless you suddenly feel like doing a wheelie and falling backwards or falling and turning so u land on your back which isn't a good thing anyway there is no problem!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC

As far as the guys post above concerning film v. digital, wtf are you talking about. You have just as much control with a DSLR as with a Film SLR. Film is dead as there is nothing it does better than digital.
    Yes, you have control over digital (and more flexibility really - changing ISO settings per shot is great for action in different lighting conditions) but its not true to say film is totally dead yet. There are still some things that film does better than digital (it's so easy to blow out highlights with digital). Also, medium format films will be around for a good while yet as digital doesn't come close yet.

However, for the normal user then yes, go digital.

As for the original question, I have a D50 and love it. It maybe worth thinking about upgrading the kit lens when you purchase, although the kit lens is very good for the price.

Best bet is to go into a shop and have a play with the cameras. See which you prefer using. I much prefered the feel and handling of the Nikon over the Canon so went with that. Saying Canon is better is just false, they are both great systems and just do one or two things slightly differently.