Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

"Next" and "Mongoose" mountain bikes

I saw a slew of these bikes at Wal Mart today (don't ask why I was there), and they just have ridiculous features for bikes costing $99. I highly doubt you could trust a full suspension mountain bike at a two-figure price point.. Can anybody comment on the quality of these bikes? They look... flashy, and... well, cool. I almost know they are complete garbage. I wonder if they would even be good for a few singletrack downhill rides or if they would just fall apart under the smallest amount of stress. I know the components are crap but what about the frames? Has anybody, out of curiousity, tried a $99 full suspension mountain bike?

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    this thread will end badly..

please use the search as this has been covered (in depth) a million times...

but the short of it is this:
    - for 'real' MTB'ing these brands will not hold up well.
    - for paved bike path/sidewalk they will work fine.

my .02...and I am outta here!
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    i went to Oleta about 6 months ago with 2 friends who showed up with a pair of "Next" FS bikes. They grew up riding BMX so they know how to ride a bike. Oleta is not particularly brutal on bikes. Within 30 minutes the rear derailleur snapped off and the crank bent. 20 minutes later the rear suspension of the other bike literally snapped, and the stem detached itself from the bike.

hope that helps.

and like i said relative to the photos I see on this forum, Oleta is NOT hard on bikes.

AZ
    banned
    You get exactly what you pay $100.00 for, a $100.00 F/S bike. As far as trying one, no I have not felt the need to buy one. Logic tells me that when a decent rear shock for my Trance X costs about $300.00 that on a $100.00 F/S bike they cut some corners to meet the price point. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I dont plan on getting one. I have a Giant MTB already, I just find it funny that they make these bikes with all these fancy "components" on them when in reality making a less flashy bike would be more benficial.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SpAgetttt View Post
    I dont plan on getting one. I have a Giant MTB already, I just find it funny that they make these bikes with all these fancy "components" on them when in reality making a less flashy bike would be more benficial.

Flash is what sells it to the uninformed. Every industry is like this in one form or fashion. It is not unique to the cycling world.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah that's why I see these bikes all over the place.

see me rollin, they hatin
    i have an old 90's mongoose back when it was a bikeshop brand. it is NOT my sole mtb, i just use it as a store cruiser.

did you know NEXT has disc brakes now? scary!
    anyway, we were discussing how funny it would be to all grab a NEXT and take it out on our normal trails just to see what we could do with them. Reminds me of a "top gear" challenge. just beat the piss out of them to see what happens.

....sometimes though, they have crappy bike builders too. could explain why people have stuff just randomly falling off

GO JIMMIE!!
    Funny how they call these bikes mountain bikes when they have stickers on them that say not intended for off road use.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Compelling, and rich.
    If you're looking for a bike in that price range, buy used or go for a rigid bike.

of course as a kid the whole neighborhood rode cheap bikes. i had a pacific that costed maybe 170, which was more thn most of them at toys r us. i actually loved it. but i was 12, so i didnt know any better. but it fit me well and it was comfortable. i "mountain biked" in it for years, if you can call it that. i think it worked out fine because it was a rigid bike. it didnt have any fancy components to "go wrong". no suspension. Fast forward 15 years, and i started riding my local easy trails on a dept store schwinn. It did the job, it was comfy...but heavy. but i only rode it about 4 months until i got myself a 700 dollar bike (on sale for 360!) and i was like wow....DISC BRAKES ACTUALLY STOP!!!

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    i have an old 90's mongoose back when it was a bikeshop brand. it is NOT my sole mtb, i just use it as a store cruiser.

did you know NEXT has disc brakes now? scary!
    anyway, we were discussing how funny it would be to all grab a NEXT and take it out on our normal trails just to see what we could do with them. Reminds me of a "top gear" challenge. just beat the piss out of them to see what happens.
    Dirt Rag did a nice write up in that a few months ago. if I could find it I would give the linky
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    The mongoose deception is actually a decent bike for 200. The Next bikes are pretty much junk and I wouldn't take them off road.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    The mongoose deception is actually a decent bike for 200. The Next bikes are pretty much junk and I wouldn't take them off road.
    Should we all assume you ride a Mongoose Deception?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I repair these bikes all week long at the shop. Trust me, they're junk. Aside from poor quality parts and materials (off brand shifters and derailleurs often cannot be made to actually index correctly; flexy brake housing instead of shift housing, etc.), They are never assembled or adjusted correctly. They use freewheels instead of cassettes, which results in bent axles. Brakes are junk, and don't return consistently, The "shocks" are just springs with no damping.

Please do not try to ride these off road. We had a customer use one for dirt jumping, and ended up with a catastrophic fork separation followed by reconstructive facial surgery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    Should we all assume you ride a Mongoose Deception?
    I don't.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    I don't.

Genesis, gotta be.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    BSO(bicycle shaped object)=junk. Terrible products. I really wish they would just sell rigid bikes with decent components instead of trying sell bikes that look "cool". At the $200 price point, with big box buying power they could sell a functional safe bike if they wanted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Genesis, gotta be.
    Lol...very good Sherlock. I do have their 29er. For 200 the bike is decent. They are definitely better than the Next bikes which I would not take off road. I have a couple of hundred miles of single track time on it and it is holding up fine. It is a matter of time before I have to replace the BB and cranks but I knew that going into it. I wanted to ride now and at the moment due to other financial obligations I couldn't afford the bike I wanted.

GO JIMMIE!!
    I wonder why department stores haven't been sued over the failures of bikes that result in injuries. On the flip side CostCo sells a decent bike and target has the Forge line.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    I wonder why department stores haven't been sued over the failures of bikes that result in injuries. On the flip side CostCo sells a decent bike and target has the Forge line.

They have, it takes some searching but there are a litany of lawsuits over bicycles in general, not just Dept. Store bikes.

mtbr member
    Trek Fuel EX 6
    Cannondale F5
    Felt Z100

My photos

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SpAgetttt View Post
    I saw a slew of these bikes at Wal Mart today (don't ask why I was there), and they just have ridiculous features for bikes costing $99. I highly doubt you could trust a full suspension mountain bike at a two-figure price point.. Can anybody comment on the quality of these bikes? They look... flashy, and... well, cool. I almost know they are complete garbage. I wonder if they would even be good for a few singletrack downhill rides or if they would just fall apart under the smallest amount of stress. I know the components are crap but what about the frames? Has anybody, out of curiousity, tried a $99 full suspension mountain bike?
    They use them at red bull rampage. Get you one!
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

GO JIMMIE!!
    Gotta give respect to Dirt Rag for running that story. Surely MBA wouldn't even think about it.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast