Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread

2M views 11K replies 9K participants last post by  pushrod88 
#1 ·
With the change in the posting requirements, we've created this thread here for newbies to introduce yourself.

Hopefully this will unite all the "hello there" or "checking in" or "new here first time post" threads currently popping up here in the general forum.

Please respond with:

1.) Where you are from? (as specific as you care to share)
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...)
3.) How many bikes you own?
4.) How long have you been riding?
5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites)

Add anything else you care to share.

Thanks,

-gregg

ADDENDUM: DO NOT TRY TO PAD YOUR POST COUNT HERE! THEY WILL BE DELETED AND YOU WILL RECEIVE AN INFRACTION! NO TESTING EITHER. It's really not that hard to find 5 already existing threads to reply to.

Also of Note: Due to the high volume of Spammers trying to flood the site with fake posts all new users are required to post at least 10 replies to threads BEFORE you can start a new thread that includes Links to other web pages (including other mtbr pages) or links to photos. Once your post count is above 10 then you can begin to do this. - Klurejr

See less See more
#11,061 ·
Hi Everyone,
I am new to the group.
Name is Lance from Saskatchewan Canada.
I ride a little bit of everything, all recreationally. I am currently riding a Giant Talon 12 but own about a dozen bikes. My favorite at the moment is a 2001 or 2002 KHS Pro St which I just picked up and am doing some work on (photo attached). Next in line would be a 1996 or 1997 Specialized Rockhopper which I have owned since new.
I enjoy rebuilding older mountain bikes as much or more than I do riding them. I am very much a novice at this as well.
I joined this group as I feel I could learn a lot from people who have way more knowledge and skill than I do.
Thanks for allowing me to join.

#11,082 ·
First Post

How is everyone today?

1. Im Mike
2. From Hamilton ON Canada
3. Trail rider and XC mostly but getting into some more aggressive terrain
4. 2 bikes. Just got a new Norco Fluid FS A3 and also have been riding a Norco Storm for 6 years.
5. This is my first time on a MTB Forum but also post in Auto forums

This is my first FS bike so will be on here a lot!!

Thx gang

#4 ·
I don't have a name.
I'm from the SF Bay Area (peninsula). **** yea, NorCal. Represent.
I am a singlespeeder. I can't count all the geary doodads.
I got: a KHS singlespeed conversion, a 2010 Raleigh "road" bike, and am building a singlespeed/ fixed badass cyclocross-type thing for the summer. I've got a '73 Schwinn Le Tour frameset. If you got parts for sale that would work with it, please PM me. I'd appreciate that.
I guess I've been actively riding for two or three years. Been riding bike in general my whole life though.
I mainly do General, Passion, Norcal, and Singlespeed forums. On occasion I'll visit XC training/racing and get scared and run back to Singlespeed.

#10 ·
Late getting started, but making up for it

oh, gee. Another noob at the door. But a noob with WHEELS two at a time! :thumbsup:

I ride the hills and valleys in and around Novato, CA, a tad north of San Francisco. Been riding bikes (seriously) since 1988 when I retired from the Army, but have had a bike handy all my life. Retired from serious CC and hills these days, even converted my 94 S-Works to a cruiser (yikes) and mostly do easy trails and long road trips now since I'm getting more concerned with the effects of body parts crashing to the ground, something I did with GUSTO in my younger days. Yeeee HAW! Joining my S I have a 94 Hard Rock Ultra, and an 88 BMX Mongoose (27" with goosers). That one is a decent ride, 'cept when the wind is blowing off the ocean at 40 mph. And I'm going west 20 miles. And then it shifts to the WEST at 45 mph just about the time I'm heading back.:rolleyes: I first found your site while looking for rebuild help for a Fox Alps4. (The forums here ROCK!!!!). Will come back and edit some photos after I digi them.

Very happy to have found y'all!!

#15 ·
Hola

Hi, Im Jeff in Kodiak, AK and Im a beginner with a Pugsley Fatbike on the way. Hope to get a big dummy sometime too. Obviously I like the Fatbike forums. But Ive looked at the passion and brew (I homebrew) forums too.

The community here seems pretty cool and Im sure Ill be bugging some folks quite a lot with tons of newbie questions.

Nice to meetcha.

#62 ·
1.) Where you are from? (as specific as you care to share) - In Phoenix
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...) - Beginner all mtn.Trails
3.) How many bikes you own? - One
4.) How long have you been riding? - Since March or so
5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites) - Pretty much this one is all I found. I use mtbr for the reviews all the time and how I found the forum

Reactions: AZ
#64 ·
1.) Where you are from? Tallahassee, Florida
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Beginner
3.) How many bikes you own? 2, specialized Hardrock, Jamis Lightfoot commuter bike
4.) How long have you been riding? less that 1 year
5.) What forums do you frequent most? I just hit "New Post."

#65 ·
Hello from South Jersey

1.) Where you are from? Millville, NJ (southern part of the state)
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Pre-Complete Beginner
3.) How many bikes you own? one, Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc
4.) How long have you been riding? I haven't. I bought the bike this afternoon, came home, had to run out to a function. A buddy of mine is picking me up tomorrow morning for my first ride.
5.) What forums do you frequent most? Well, since this is the first post I have ever made on a bike forum, I guess this one. :)

#66 ·
Hi guys I'm from Leavenworth KS. I just started riding a few months ago. I was riding a Trek 4300 but am now riding a Gary Fisher Rig which feels like a huge improvement. I am starting to get into xc racing, have only done one race so far, none on the new bike yet. I need to get my five posts in so i can start making threads and asking questions.

#69 ·
Brad from Crossett Arkansas.
I enjoy trail or anywhere else i can ride.
I haved a Cannondale F300
I have been riding bikes all my life. Got caught up in the freestyle thing in the late 80s early 90s. Got the Cannondale in 96 and rode it alot around town. Decided to pick it back up a few months ago and start riding again.

#73 ·
1.) Where you are from? (as specific as you care to share)
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...)
3.) How many bikes you own?
4.) How long have you been riding?

1. Rural Maine, near the mountains
2. Beginner-intermediate. I have excellent endurance, but I need work on single track.
3. 2. I road bike, one mountain bike. I don't use the road bike much.
4. 2 years, but not consistently.
5. I have been frequenting running times forums most frequently. My primary sport in ultramarathon running, but I am out of commission right now due to a IT band issue. So I'm planning mountain bike races instead.

#74 ·
1.) Where you are from? Chattanooga
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Whatever trails are around
3.) How many bikes you own? 2
4.) How long have you been riding? Since I could walk
5.) What forums do you frequent most? Just trying to learn from it all right now

#75 ·
Hello All!

Been lurking here for a few weeks. Decided to jump into the forum tonight. Truth is, I had a question to ask, but can't start a new thread until I post 5 times! So hello! :) LOL.

I live in the Tampa area. Just getting into riding. Used to ride the heck out bmx bikes as a kid/teen. Now I'm ready to kick it up again at 38 years old! ;)

Cheers!

#76 ·
1.) Where you are from? North Idaho, south of Sandpoint
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Trail rider
3.) How many bikes you own? 1
4.) How long have you been riding? MTB since mid 80's, road bike before that.

#77 ·
Responding to the Q's.

1.) Where you are from? (as specific as you care to share): Maryland
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...) Former Rider
3.) How many bikes you own? One, sad, sad frame...
4.) How long have you been riding? I used to ride fifteen years ago.

View attachment 624017

Smiles

#80 ·
1.) Where you are from? Northern Virginia (Herndon to be specific)
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Probably Intermediate (trail)
3.) How many bikes you own? 2
4.) How long have you been riding? Well, I grew up riding BMX and got pretty advanced with that... but that was ages ago. Now I'm 45 (and out of shape) but I'm starting to get back into riding again and slowly building back up the endurance and absolutely LOVING it again.
5.) What forums do you frequent most? A few different music and guitar forums.

#81 ·
1.) Where you are from? Humboldt County, CA
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? trail rider
3.) How many bikes you own? only 1 currently (2009 Kona OneTwenty Supreme)
4.) How long have you been riding? since early childhood
5.) What forums do you frequent most? NorCal & Passion

#82 ·
Pink Pivot Pope

Hello I was told that this is a great site to find other ,tm lovers and get some insite on locations and products that people have tried and their opinions. I will be going to the Oaklahoms City area in a few weeks and wanted to know where there was some hills to climb on a rented mtb. Also where there is a bike rental place that woild have a bike to fit me. I have a xs Pink Pivot 5.7 and I know no rental can compair,but as long as I get some riding in I'll be happy.

1.) Where you are from? Livermore Ca.
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Intermediate rider on a mtb
3.) How many bikes you own? 1 2011 Pivot Mach 5.7
4.) How long have you been riding? One year now,but I have riden motocycles all my life.
5.) What forums do you frequent most? Not any usually. Some on FB.