Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread

2M views 11K replies 9K participants last post by  pushrod88 
#1 ·
With the change in the posting requirements, we've created this thread here for newbies to introduce yourself.

Hopefully this will unite all the "hello there" or "checking in" or "new here first time post" threads currently popping up here in the general forum.

Please respond with:

1.) Where you are from? (as specific as you care to share)
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...)
3.) How many bikes you own?
4.) How long have you been riding?
5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites)

Add anything else you care to share.

Thanks,

-gregg

ADDENDUM: DO NOT TRY TO PAD YOUR POST COUNT HERE! THEY WILL BE DELETED AND YOU WILL RECEIVE AN INFRACTION! NO TESTING EITHER. It's really not that hard to find 5 already existing threads to reply to.

Also of Note: Due to the high volume of Spammers trying to flood the site with fake posts all new users are required to post at least 10 replies to threads BEFORE you can start a new thread that includes Links to other web pages (including other mtbr pages) or links to photos. Once your post count is above 10 then you can begin to do this. - Klurejr

See less See more
#31 · (Edited)
1.) I´m Raoul from Germany - I live in Eschweiler (Middle West)
2.) I am a Downhill Rider, but I like to do everything else, too ;)
3.) I own four bikes at the moment - all Marin Bikes.
4.) I ride since I can think, but the first real cycle was my first BMX when I was 4 years old - thats 26 years ago now :D
5.) I dont write that much and use mostly platforms in Europe, but as I will make holidays in CA in August I found this place to ask questions and get Information ;)

#32 ·
Cheers all

Hi. My name is Mark.

1.) South-central Texas
2.) Love my singlespeed commuter bike (Soho S). Love my XC FS even more. I can't wait until they have a baby. I think I'm going to name it "Rig".
3.) Three bikes so far. Ye Olde GF Kai Tai, Trek Fuel EX8, Trek Soho S.
4.) Riding MTBs since '95 or so... skipped some years between. In retrospect that was a really dumb *ss thing to do. Get out there and riiiiide.
5.) I frequent this forum as of yesterday. Also electro-music.com... (techno/ambient/etc music making.) I'm more partial to listservs, but this bbs is really cool for the pics.

#33 ·
Hello All

Just checkin in as a newbie, although my main email would not work saying that I was already a member, so I have probably done this forum before years ago.

Mainly ride in Maryland
Build up my own bikes right now Dean Ace, selling my YBB, sold my single speed Specialized.
Been riding since 1998 actively when I made the switch from BMX (man those wheels look small now)
Considered goin 29er but "the boys" rested on the top bar of even the smallest framed 29ers at the bike shop, and I wasent feeling the girls frame idea.

#34 ·
Whats up all, names Eric

1.) Where you are from? Canton, MI
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? I'm new as new can be, but want to get into trail riding.
3.) How many bikes you own? 1 hopefully by friday.
4.) How long have you been riding? Starting this saturday...
5.) What forums do you frequent most?
Yet to be determined

Friends have encouraged me to get into mountian biking, hardest thing about it is too many choices and not enough dineros.

#35 · (Edited)
Hi There ...

My first post responding to Gregg's questions

1.) Where you are from? (as specific as you care to share) Oslo, Norway
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...) - Beginner, but aspiring to more ... Like single track the most, but not enough time to do as much as I wish
3.) How many bikes you own? 3 - Jamis Exile (93 model - for winter biking), Jamis Hybrid, Rocky Mountain Vertex 30 ...
4.) How long have you been riding? Depends - since early 90s, but mostly winter/gravel
5.) What forums do you frequent most? Rocky Mountain Bikes , 29er forum (hoping to get an Altitude 29 this summer.

Regards,
Bjørn Petter

#36 ·
Hi

My name is Stephen (Steve) from West Yorkshire UK

Thought I'd say hi, Ive not ridden for a long long time, about 15 years ago when I left school I remember pining for a MTB with Rock Shox , so now Im in my 30's Im re living my childhood

Ive just about finished building my tatty Kona Kikapu. Its built from what ever I could afford, but its a work in progress and it rides nice so Im quite happy!

#37 ·
Hello everyone :D
pleasure to be here.

1.) Where you are from? (Queens, NY)
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (beginner)
3.) How many bikes you own? (2 - cdal f4 and trek 7.2fx wsd)
4.) How long have you been riding? (just started)
5.) What forums do you frequent most? (legacygt.com head-fi.com)

#38 ·
Hi there people!

1.) Where you are from? Caracas-Venezuela
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Not sooo beginner lol!
3.) How many bikes you own? Jamis Komodo I (my A/M,F/R Bike) and Merida MATTS 40D (XC, commuting bike)
4.) How long have you been riding? I ride since a was 12 and stop 7-8 years ago because a crash/injury and got back to ride less than a year ago
5.) What forums do you frequent most? This one from now on...

#40 ·
From Florence, SC
I'm kind of a weekend warrior, I ride 9 miles about 3 or 4 days a week.
Trail riding but not crazy aggressive.
Rode all my life on Wal-bikes, been out of it for about 7 years, just got back in to it and went to LBS and bought a Trek. Man, what a difference.
I got my whole family doing it.
Looking forward to all of your knowledge.

#42 ·
1.) Where you are from? Northern VA
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? intermediate beginner haha
3.) How many bikes you own? 1
4.) How long have you been riding? my whole life, just recently started mountain biking though
5.) What forums do you frequent most? VA, DC, MD section and whichever one i need info on, im also over at TacomaWorld.com all the time

heres a picture of me this past weekend

mountain biking by S.Mshots, on Flickr

#43 ·
Greetings!

1] Seattle, WA
2] mostly city roads and trails
3] two bikes: GT Karakoram and Janus Sedona
4] riding 45 years and going strong...

I started riding a bike like many American kids on my sister's three speed, then got my own Stingray....wow! What fun, except for that time that I forgot to tighten the front wheel then trid to make that jump down at the new house being built at the end of our street....but I digress.....

I went through a phase of riding a ten speed in high school, also like many American kids, then dropped the thing like a hot potato when I got my driver's license....

Decades passed and the mountain bike craze is in full swing and low and behold, I discover the form factor of the 26" bike to be much closer to me on a 20" as a pre-teen than me on a 27" road bike and I am liberated! Now riding a bike is fun again, like when I was a kid! No more worrying about weanie tire that pop if you ride over a stone, here's the curb-hopping appeal of riding a bike that I lost when I moved over to gasoline fueled transportation!

Now I've gone over to the dark side and discovered the joys of suspension on the fork, which my aging hands and upper body appreciate more than the added weight, and I'm going strong into my fifth decade of pedal sports!

#44 ·
Hello, im Parker, I used to come here alot and post under MTBgreatfalls, but cant seem to access that anymore. anywho I was in the Navy stationed in Japan fpor 3 and a half years, and now im back home in Montana. I rode a Cannondale Gemeni 900 which unfortunatley was stolen from my apartment on June 16th, and has yet to be recovered ( Im still hoping). So right now i ride nothing, but Ill find another bike!

1.) Where you are from? Great Falls, Montana
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? advanced beginner, if there is one
3.) How many bikes you own? corrently 0, due to my bike unfortunatley being stolen recently
4.) How long have you been riding? since 2005
5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites) here, i used top post under MTBgreatfalls, but cant access that anymore for some reason.

#46 ·
Hey there, I'm Luis
I am from Mexico
I like to consider myself an aggressive Cross country - Soft All mountain rider
I have one bike I use and I'm on the process of building 2 more
I've been riding since 2009, but suspended 8months for a small injury
I love MTBR and I read BikeRadar often too

I still consider myself a beginner, because I have almost no time to ride during the week and I'm just reriding often on weekends, luckily for me, I live in the outer parts of the city, where there are a few trails to ride alone.
I LOVE riding and I love to do bike mechanics, so I decided to build my own bikes.
I bought a mexican brand hardtail frame, that is supposed to be strong enough for a 140 mm fork.
I have also a Jamis Dakar XCT. I'll be asking for advice soon
Nice to meet everyone :)

#47 ·
Newbie Alert

1.) Where you are from? Ft. Lauderdale, FL
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Striclty Street. Getting back into it,
I had a heart valve replaced, 8 weeks ago, started riding every day or so for exercise, (got tired of WALKING, (Dr. orders)

3.)How many bikes you own? Just one, bought new in '96, Cannondale, M900 Factory P-Bone Alum Fork, Hard Tail
4.)How long have you been riding? I've been riding since college, I am 58 now !!!
5.) What forums do you frequent most? Only this BIKE Forum, seems evertime I was after some knowledge or review, THIS Forum came up... I like reading about the Weight Weenies...My bike was light in '96 and still lighter than many Today... I Ride to work, around town and and out to the beach. Currently updating Rim Brakes to V-Brakes, Avid 7's. I lost my Brooks B17 after 40 yrs, the nose fell off, waiting for a new one to arrive shortly. I'll take better care of this one, should last me, til the end of my days !!!
Pics later
Ab

#48 ·
Hey there, I'm Eric G.

I currently live in Shawnee, KS
I consider myself a born again rider...been out of it for about 10 years...jumping back in with both feet!
I just recently took the plunge and bought a Cannondale Flash 29er 1
I have been riding since 1998...but took a break from about 2004 until 2011.

#49 ·
Newb Check in

Hi All,
Lenny from NYC area

1.) Where you are from? Staten Island
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? General / fitness (trying)
3.) How many bikes you own? 1: just picked up a used 2010 canondale f4
4.) How long have you been riding? 12 yrs on/ off
5.) What forums do you frequent most? Riderforums, Fz1oa, now this one

Will be asking for alot of advice, looking to really get back into the sport, as well as the mechanics of our rides..... use to build my own BMX rides back in the day,, alot of new stuff out there to learn and experiment with

#50 ·
My name's Ray. Recently made the decision to start riding for my general fitness. After breaking my back a few years ago I've gained a bunch of weight. I'm lucky, I have a friend that was an avid rider and he has gotten back into riding to help me out. he told me to come on here and check things out. I picked up this Trek from another friend that just had it sitting in the back of his garage for the past few years. We're slowly repairing things it needs. So far my total investment is about $55 and a few hours of labor, between buying the bike and a couple tubes to get it up and moving.

1.) Where you are from? Blythewood SC
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? beginner
3.) How many bikes you own? 1, a 2003 Trek that I bought from a friend
4.) How long have you been riding? just started
5.) What forums do you frequent most? mostly car and truck sites.

#51 ·
Hey all. I'm Den. Recently discovered my passion for bikes after a long hiatus due to the last bike I loved being stolen. Prior to that I was out riding every friday and saturday night thru town with mates just being a general pain in the ass lol. And every saturday and sunday we'd be out hitting the skate parks, trails or just cruising around town.

I had a few different bikes back then. The 2 main ones were an old cheapy 24" MTB that I had fitted a 20" single speed rear wheel. Looked terrible but I loved it haha. The second was my free agent/diamondback BMX. Trusted that bike with my life which I find hard to do. So when it was stolen so was my passion for riding. But I'm slowly getting back into the game after realising that riding around is actually a great way to stay fit.

1.) Where you are from? Gold Coast, Australia.
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Weekend warrior at the moment.
3.) How many bikes you own? I own 6 bikes at the moment, 4 I'm keeping to use, 1 I'm fixing up for a friend and the last is a POS for parts.
-Specialized HT MTB (unsure of model or year), currently my commuter
-Easton BMX (unsure of model or year), just for learning tricks and stuff
-Apollo road bike (unsure of model or year), going to be a resto project
-An old beach cruiser, no idea of make or model or year as I'm only new to these cruisers. But damn it looks cool! I will post pics up as soon as I give them all a bit of a clean, hopefully someone might be able to help identify the models I have.
4.) How long have you been riding? On and off for about 14 years
5.) What forums do you frequent most? I shall start to frequent this site as well as Australian Cycling Forums. And any others that might be worth a looksie.

Cheers!

#53 ·

Hey all, new to the sight !

47 YO fanatic from Murrieta. I'm pretty fit, and would classify my self advanced intermediate.

Looking to find riding buds, and talk about bikes. I also regularly buy, build and or flip bikes and components so I may do some buying and selling here to.

Gonna go post my ride(s) in one of the other forums now.

#54 ·
DOPE !!!!!

Posted a new member thread 30 seconds before I read this.

The shame, the shame..........

Yeah, so, ummm (cough)

Hey all, new to the sight !

47 YO fanatic from Murrieta. I'm pretty fit, and would classify my self advanced intermediate.

Looking to find riding buds, and talk about bikes. I also regularly buy, build and or flip bikes and components so I may do some buying and selling here to.

Gonna go post my ride(s) in one of the other forums now.