Page 55 of 305 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 105 155 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 7612
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm Hello

newb to forum

Where am I from: Winnipeg, Manitoba (central Canada)

What kind of rider am I: I am a mountain biker / road warrior (all serious commuters are in my city) I have commuted to work almost everyday for 7 years even minus 35 degrees Celsius: windchill of Minus 40 degrees Celsius (committed car free) Certifiable Velo-sa-Nerd

How many bikes do you own: I own 5 bikes : 09 specialized epic(for sale) , 94 kona hahanna , 1938 ccm 28" wheeled cruiser bike (flat black) , nakamura fixie grocery getter with the largest Wald basket i could get. , 05 marin hawkhill with heavy modifications to make it a ridged 69er for winter.

How long have you been riding: 20 years

What forums do you frequent most: forums are now to me. I'am interested in 29ers and fatbikes and my next bike will definitely be fat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hey

DH rider from Zurich, Switzerland.
    Started in 07 on a Ironhorse 6point4. Now riding on a Intense Uzzi 07. Currently not riding because of a surgery in summer....diagnose ACL. So I am working on my own frame =)

mtbr member
    Hello, my name is Rob and I'm from Pennsylvania (Philly suburbs). After a long hiatus, I started riding bicycles again about 2 and a half years ago. Now I mostly ride on the road, but I ride some trails and am looking to expand my MTB riding. Other forums I like are TwoSpoke and RoadBikeReview.
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Im a new guy ... howdy from Texas... I always like looking for good places to go ride... I am near Belton Texas... If anyone has good trails.... please share... I am not afraid to get some scrapes and bruises!

I also have an old (very old) Kona, and I am looking at selling it to get a newer bike...

Kona needs a good home...

Happy Trails,
    Jonas

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    New guy in San Antonio, TX. Sold my Trek EX8 2 years back due to getting laid off but i'm financially secure again and looking for another bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Hello and Thank You

Thank you for inviting me into your community. I promise to be an exemplary member.

1-Nate is from St. Louis MO
    2-I likes all types of riding that can be done
    3-ask me tomorrow, it may be one or two or three. I ride my Masi Speciale CX every day to work and to pick up my son from his grandparents house.
    4-I been ridin bout 6 years now.
    5-I don't know no forums but this one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Hi From Taiwan and a question

1.) Where you are from? (as specific as you care to share)

Originally U.S.A. Nowadays I live near the geographical center of Taiwan, where there are zillions of beautiful mountain rides.

2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...)

I have no idea. I ride to work a lot. I ride about 45km through mountains regularly, exploring forest trails, farm roads, riverbeds..... I say 45km, because my regular rides go through one specific side of town, and make variations of a loop, which all end up being roughly that long. However, today, after that I pounded up Tiger Head Mountain for a kind of end of workout, workout.

3.) How many bikes you own?

4.) How long have you been riding?

As an adult, since 2009.

5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites)

Nothing to do with Bikes :-). Just came on here because I need some advice. I had to get a custom frame in order to fit my body size here (Giant sells out of their 21" frames by the middle of each year and you cannot get more on this island, but thankfully every bike in the world is made here, so my dealer was able to just call a factory and get a frame made for me, a very nice one). I had originally planned on getting a cheap Giant, but instead I ended up with a pretty cool bike. However, the hardware is the cheapest available, because I wasn't really planning to spend a bunch of money back then.

Now I live in Biker's heaven, making plenty of cash, and I would really like to improve a few things on my ride. For one thing, I've never liked front derailleurs. It seems like they always do something unpleasant from dropping the chain to not shifting to jarring me hard on my uphill if/when I change gears... I had this problem with my previous bike, and now with this one and its only a couple of months old (and has been adjusted recently).

So, I'm considering going to 1x9. I experimented with today's ride, not shifting from my middle gear and I think it would be fine, especially if I got a bit bigger rear cassette. I like the looks of the rotor q rings also, so I'm kinda thinking Rotor Q-ring in front or else a 30t front chainring and a 12-36 Shimano rear cassette.

Obviously, one of the other possibilities is to switch to a 2x9 which will not help with the dastardly front derailleur. The other thing I can think of is maybe upgrade JUST the front derailleur to something nicer. I could go 1x10 as well.

It looks like the cost is similar between getting good stuff to go 1x9 (by the time I get one of those very effective chainstay thingies) or 2x9 or just buying an xlr front derailleur and shifter. Would the higher end derailleur system eliminate the fact that front derailleurs are of the devil?

Any ideas?

--Jiao

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

New to forum , not to riding...

Hey guys,
    may name is nathan i live in corona california and i have been riding since i taught my self to ride a bike when i was 4 years old, i started out racing bmx in my younger years and mountain biking was my cross training( i hated it lol), i was into bmx park and dirt jumping for the longest time until highschool when i got my first mountian bike ( kona kikapu ) for christmas, this was my new beginning to mountain biking and where i really fell in love with riding, i began modifying my bike to accomodate more aggressive riding by putting a 160mm fork on it and upgrading from a cheap rockshocks rear shock to rockshocks monarch 4.1 and from there the bike only progressed. well eventually life caught up and i had to sell the bike to get a new car. i went almost 2 years with out riding until about 2 weeks ago when i bought a rockymountain flow raw. its a totally different breed of bike than im used to but i am enjoying it maybe even more than i did my kona. rite now the bike is set up as a single speed dirt jumper/ freeride bike and i dont think i would change anything about that, it just feels great to be back on a bike...

1.) Where you are from? corona ca
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? experienced rider DJFR/DH
    3.) How many bikes you own? two. RockyMountain Flow raw, Gt Mach one bmx bike.
    4.) How long have you been riding?17 years
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? Mtbr, pinkbike, other non related forums such as honda tech and NAXJA.
    6.) where do you ride? skyline(cleveland national forest) is my back yard....

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Hi everybody!

I'm new to this site (joined ytesterday) and almost as new to mountain biking.

Born & raised in FL, my first mtb experience was on a trip out west to Zion national park in 2007. We rode all over a nearby mesa that the local bike shop recommended. The little map they gave us had trails on it and a border surrounding the mesa drawn in skulls & crossbones. I took this to mean that if you do something dumb, like ride off the edge of a cliff, you could die, so don't do it. Those little black & white illustrations of skulls was the only barrier of any kind between the rider and crippling tragedy. I do love the west.

A little later in the year, visiting the same friend in his rocky mountain town, we went up a narrow wooded trail in the summertime. I was heaving an panting as soon as we broke out of town (walking the bike up the trail proved to be just as hard as staying in the saddle), but when I finally caught up with the rest of the guys at the top of the trail where the woods cleared, I expressed my exhaustion (which was obvious enough), and one guy said, "Sure you're tired, you're at ten two." ... "Ten two?", I said. ... "Yeah, 10,200 ft altitude." The way back down was to ride the ski slopes, which were covered in beautiful green grass. If they'd explained to me what the ride down would be like before we left town, I surely would have wimped out, citing my lack of experience and poor conditioning. But that ride was some of the most fun I've had in my life and I survived, shaking thighs and all.

So here I am back in Gainesville, FL. I don't do any trail riding now, but I'm in possession of what I think is an early to mid 90's Ritchey. More on that in another thread...

Marshall

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    hello im joel just bought a new mtb for general fitness and mild commuting

1) I'm from san diego ca
    2) definately a noob
    3) 1, just bought a FS gravity 29er
    4) haven't even received my bike yet
    5) here and 29ers

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Howdy From Salt Lake City,
    My Name is Rich and I mostly ride Single speed 29ers. I will ride anything and am basically a bike nut and like skulls on my bikes!

I have 5 active bikes plus several projects:
    Vassago JabberWocky Single Speed 29er
    Misfit Dissent Single Speed 29er
    Salsa Fargo 29er
    1997 Trek 8000 Mtb
    Old Bertrand Road frame, rattle can painted fixie with Misfit decals.

I have been riding for 29 years starting with BMX and moving to Road. Now have come full circle to big wheel BMX bikes.

My forums include MTBR for quite a while now and bikepacking.net.

Ride More, Whine Less
    1.) Where you are from?
    Rochester, MN
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself?
    MTB and retired triathlete. In cold months, I ride the tribike on a trainer while watching tv.

My personal bikes are:
    1996 Trek Singletrack 930 (fully rigid, steal beauty)
    ~2004 Cannondale Ironman (fast and fun)
    2010 Gary Fisher Superfly 100 ('cause I'm getting too old for fully rigid mtb)

Then in the garage, there is a fleet of about 8 others for the Mrs and 4 boys.

Seriously since 1996, but practically my entire life.

5.) What forums do you frequent most?
    AVSforum (home theater) and youtube (not really a forum, but I enjoy original music and Failblog)

mtbr member

Hello

1.) Where you are from? Las Vegas, NV
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Trailrider
    3.) How many bikes you own? 3
    4.) How long have you been riding? 5 years
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? MTBR & Pinkbike

No pics yet.
    BBELL

mtbr member
    Newb Alert!

1.) Where you are from? Ortonville, MI
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? XC racer
    3.) How many bikes you own? 2 mtb 3 tri, 2 road. My MTB's are 2003 Fisher Sugar 3 and a 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 29er HT
    4.) How long have you been riding? MTB for 15 years BMX freestyle before that.
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites) Slowtwitch.com MMBA.org

Basically I ride 2-400 mile/wk on the road. I'm sick of it and I want to do something different. Race triathlon, mostly IM distance but I'm bored. 8 hour training days just don't do it for me anymore. Going after Xterra next year but I also want to do some long distance mtb and other local cross country races. Based on lap times around local trails where they have races, I would probably fit in around the top end of expert although, I think I have to start in sport next year.
    Last edited by Alexgonzalezmi; 11-23-2011 at 02:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Hello

1.) Where you are from? PA
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? pretty new to riding regularly, so I'm probably a beginner
    3.) How many bikes you own? 2 mtb's
    4.) How long have you been riding? 1 year
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? I've been checking out the AM bikes

I got hooked right away with mountain biking. A couple months after starting I began building a bike. Probably the coolest and most fun project. A side from finding tires I'm happy with, I think it's complete. I joined this forum to see if there's any info on modifying tires. I have yet to check into that as I've been too caught up with the pics of all the other AM bike set ups on the forum.
    Last edited by timma; 11-23-2011 at 04:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Adventure Component rear chub question

Hi
    I am new to this form and live in Brooklyn NY
    Currently I own a 1995 Diamond Back V-link bike which was there flagship model at the time, now it is vintage...
    Having trouble withe AC Chub rear hub the freehub is slipping and make a lot of crunching noises. Have contacted AC with no luck and I wonder if parts are still available for this hub. I do work on bikes & am stumped how to pull this hub apart. Any ideas
    Regards mcphoto

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

hello

Quote Originally Posted by gregg View Post
    With the change in the posting requirements, we've created this thread here for newbies to introduce yourself.

Hopefully this will unite all the "hello there" or "checking in" threads currently popping up here in the general forum.

Please respond with:

1.) Where you are from? (as specific as you care to share)
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...)
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites)

Add anything else you care to share.

And feel free to post a photo of your bike or even better, you riding your bike on your local/favorite trail!

Thanks,

-gregg

ADDENDUM: DO NOT TRY TO PAD YOUR POST COUNT HERE! THEY WILL BE DELETED AND YOU WILL RECEIVE AN INFRACTION! NO TESTING EITHER. It's really not that hard to find 5 already existing threads to reply to.
    hello my name is jesus im from san diego california i have been riding for about one year hope i can get more experience talking to people who really know about bikes i am a 29er bike riders.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hey guys, my name is Phillip. I started riding back in 08/09 while I was stationed on Diego Garcia. I currently own 2 bikes. Giant Rincon hardtail & Iron Horse maverick 4.2 softtail. My reason for getting involved with your forum was to actually find parts for my Iron Horse. I currently reside in Mount Dora, FL and I am soon to transition back into civilian life. I want to start compettitve riding again.

1.) Where you are from? Sanford, FL
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Weekend Warrior
    3.) How many bikes you own? 2, giant rincon & iron horse mav 4.2
    4.) How long have you been riding? Off and on for 4 years
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? This one now!

I would like to start by asking if anyone knows where I can get a rear derailleur hanger for my Iron Horse or what model number the hanger actually is that way I can at least start riding it again. Thanks in advance for the info!!!

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by kondrack View Post
    Hey guys, my name is Phillip. I started riding back in 08/09 while I was stationed on Diego Garcia. I currently own 2 bikes. Giant Rincon hardtail & Iron Horse maverick 4.2 softtail. My reason for getting involved with your forum was to actually find parts for my Iron Horse. I currently reside in Mount Dora, FL and I am soon to transition back into civilian life. I want to start compettitve riding again.

1.) Where you are from? Sanford, FL
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Weekend Warrior
    3.) How many bikes you own? 2, giant rincon & iron horse mav 4.2
    4.) How long have you been riding? Off and on for 4 years
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? This one now!

I would like to start by asking if anyone knows where I can get a rear derailleur hanger for my Iron Horse or what model number the hanger actually is that way I can at least start riding it again. Thanks in advance for the info!!!
    Check out derailleurhangers.com to find you hanger number. Then there's a good seller on eBay who make lot of hangers and has good price, ~$15. I think the eBay username is 925engenering or similar.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Keep Up!
    Nov 2011
    Hi everyone!
    I'm Dave I'm 42 and I'm from Tyne and Wear in the UK.
    I consider myself as an 'All Mountain with aggressive descents' rider.
    I currently ride an upgraded Marin Attack Trail but I'm keen to start riding downhill so I'm currently looking to add a downhill rig to the garage.
    I regularly ride in Hamsterley Forest in UK and have been since the end of 2008/ early 2009.

If anyone here is a regular at Descend Hamsterley maybe you could recommend a good downhill bike for those tracks. I've been looking at Orange 224's and 2010 Giant Glory's.

Thanks!

Dave

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Check out derailleurhangers.com to find you hanger number. Then there's a good seller on eBay who make lot of hangers and has good price, ~$15. I think the eBay username is 925engenering or similar.

David
    I don't know which hanger is mine because I lost the original in my move back to the states. I have been using makeshift ones from after market dealers. They are too thin and do not fit right. I also realization that my deraillure might be bad as well causing the hanger to fatigue quicker. Any advice on a inexpensive derailleur? Thanks!

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by kondrack View Post
    I don't know which hanger is mine because I lost the original in my move back to the states. I have been using makeshift ones from after market dealers. They are too thin and do not fit right. I also realization that my deraillure might be bad as well causing the hanger to fatigue quicker. Any advice on a inexpensive derailleur? Thanks!
    Check for your hanger number by the bike model and year.

For rd, my pick would be a SRAM X-7 or a Shimano Deore LX, depending on your current shifters. You new SRAM shifters for SRAM rd and Shimano for Shimano rd. X-7 rd can be had for less then $45 on eBay. Be sure to get the proper cage length, short, medium or long, depending of your crank. For a 1 chainring, you be okay with a short cage, 2 chainrings for a medium cage and 3 chainrings for a long cage.

Don't forget to take the bike to a bike shop when you get your new hanger to have them straighten the hanger parallel to the wheel.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Live in Denver, currently riding Gary Fisher Superfly 100 full suspension.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    New to the forum...been away from MTN biking for a while...glad to be back...
    (1) Southern US
    (2) Intro Trek
    (3) Disk brakes and shock
    (4) Started way back in 1992/1993 on a Specialized Cromolly (sp)
    (5) Forums...well depends what is broke...and what code needs to be wrote...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    1.) I am from NYC
    2.) I would say I am a beginner, I've ridden in the streets for 15+ years but still consider my self a beginner.
    3.) Own 1 bike, so far 2 were stolen.
    4.) On and off 15 years, casual riding.
    5.) Many different type of forum.

Hello there, I am from NYC and I like not getting doored.

Currently have a 1996 Cannondale M200LE that I am converting to ride on the streets (don't ban me bro!). Well I have a few questions about swapping the super crappy Shimano cantilever brakes with V-brakes. I've googled the swap extensively and it seems pretty straight forward and have everything (v-brake, lever, brake cable and compression less housing).

Maybe someone can answer here? Well I bought Avid SD5 V-brakes and when I put them on the stud/boss, there is a gap between the the boss and the bottom of the v-brake mount. Is this normal? This is on the front, only doing the front for now.

Hope the pic helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newbies Check in Here - official thread-img_1111.jpg  

Page 55 of 305 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 105 155 ... LastLast