mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Good job! Newbie Alert! Cannondale Sl4 2013 or SL 2 or 3 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum after finally getting the cash together to buy a trails bike. I've been road biking for a while but i've always missed trail riding from when i was a kid.

I've always liked Cannondale's but i've looked at the Voodoo Hoodoo and Merida 26er trail bikes. I am open to suggestions at the 500 - 600 price but I do like Cannondale's. So i've been looking in detail at the 2013 SL4

TRAIL SL 4 - Trail SL - Hardtail - Mountain - Bikes - 2013

the 2011 SL2 or SL3 for around the same price

SL2: CANNONDALE TRAIL SL 2 2011 :: 569.99 :: Mountain Bikes :: Front Suspension :: Pauls Cycles

SL3: CANNONDALE TRAIL SL 3 2011 :: 499.99 :: Mountain Bikes :: Front Suspension :: Pauls Cycles

From the research i've done the 2011 SL2 is the best buy but there's alot of info out there and my head hurts! Can't tell if i've made an informed decision.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post

mtbr member
    The SL2 has the best componants on it. I am not sure how nice the RST air fork is, but the rest of them should be durable and work great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for replying. I read this on the bike radar forum about air v coil in relation to a 2011 SL2 and SL3. From the comment air is the way to go apparently. I'll give it a google and see what comes up.

"The main difference between the two is the fork on the SL2 is the air version of the RST Deuce, and the SL3 has the coil version. Although the coil version works ok, it is sort of coil/elastomer hybrid, and it weighs a ton. I'd expect (though am not certain) that the air version will weigh a fair bit less, and will offer a bit more adjustability. You will need to purchase a shock pump for it.."

BikeRadar.com ? View topic - Cannondale SL2 or SL3

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Good coil vs air discussion here

Coil vs. Air sprung fork, pros and cons

Coils forks coming out in top. Based on forks, the SL3 2011 would be cheaper to go for but do the components on the SL2 2011 over ride the fork issue and warrant the extra spend?

mtbr member
    Air forks are almost always lighter. Either way its still an entry level fork. Are you set on Cannondale? If so why?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yep, from what i've read air forks are a lot lighter. Not set on Cannondale.

I've looked at so many bikes, mainly Voodoo Hoodoo, Merida, Btwin and Cannondale. I looked at Specialized but for the price there was usually a similar competitor that cam on top. I've ended up doing my head in researching so i went with Cannondale because u like the design. I really like the Bad Boy range. I'm am open to suggestions? Ideally an older top spec model i can get new from Paul's Cycles.

mtbr member
    What size bike are you looking at?
    If you are a tall guy, I would get this in a 20" frame.
    CUBE LTD 2012 :: 599.99 :: Mountain Bikes :: Front Suspension :: Pauls Cycles

This GT closeout is in size 16" and 18"
    GT AVALANCHE 1.0 DISC 2010 :: 459.99 :: Mountain Bikes :: Front Suspension :: Pauls Cycles

This is comparable to the Cannondale
    GIANT TALON 1 2011 :: 559.99 :: Mountain Bikes :: Front Suspension :: Pauls Cycles

mtbr member
    Personally looking at the bikes on their site, I would buy this guy:
    CHARGE DUSTER HI 2011 :: 849.99 :: Mountain Bikes :: Front Suspension :: Pauls Cycles

Huge discount, awesome old school steel frame. Drivetrain, brakes, fork wont need upgrading. And its in my size!

Unfortunately I am not in the UK.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It's a great website for discounted bikes. Must be one in the US?

One local dealer won't sell Cube's because they think they're rubbish - thoughts?

Also, i know nothing about GT but the price and size is my match. I'm 5ft 7 and a 16" would be perfect for me.

I do some research and see what comes up. Thanks for the tips!

mtbr member
    I bought an SL2 for my daughter. The RST air fork is a POS, first it stopped locking out after about 4 months, then it was returned and "fixed" at which point it locked up. Took it back again and now it won't lock. Even when it was working it sucked. Everything else is good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatdigits View Post
    It's a great website for discounted bikes. Must be one in the US?

One local dealer won't sell Cube's because they think they're rubbish - thoughts?

Also, i know nothing about GT but the price and size is my match. I'm 5ft 7 and a 16" would be perfect for me.

I do some research and see what comes up. Thanks for the tips!
    GT used to be one of the leaders in Mountain bikes but have been purchased by different companies and have lost some of the soul of the old bikes. They are now owned by Dorel (same company that owns Cannondale) and have been improving a lot recently.
    More info :
    Sideways and Falling Over: The History of GT Bicycles

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    A fascinating read about GT and weirdly my brother and wife just bought one each a month ago but i tend to disagree with my bro's taste. I'd go for the GT but i can't find a review for the 2010 model you suggested.

Similar spec to the Cannondale SL2 & SL3 i linked earlier...i think
    GT AVALANCHE 1.0 DISC 2010 :: 459.99 :: Mountain Bikes :: Front Suspension :: Pauls Cycles
    CANNONDALE TRAIL SL 3 2011 :: 499.99 :: Mountain Bikes :: Front Suspension :: Pauls Cycles
    CANNONDALE TRAIL SL 2 2011 :: 569.99 :: Mountain Bikes :: Front Suspension :: Pauls Cycles

I'd probably have bought a Cannondale already but my local shop hasn't got a 17" in for me to try yet. I actually think for an MTB i'm more suited to a 15"/16" as i feel more comfortable on a 20" road bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hi donutnational - you think you were just unlucky or have you heard/read more cased of that happening?

mtbr member
    I'm not sure if it is common or not, I don't know anyone else with an RST fork. My feeling is that after riding my daughters bike I wouldn't buy this fork even if it had not experienced the problems I mentioned. It feels more like a sponge than a fork no matter how you adjust it.

mtbr member
    My buddy has the new RST Blaze fork and it is super heavy, and the performance is pretty low. The rebound adjustment is useless. It is a fork that your replace and just throw away because no one will want to buy it.

The GT on the other hand has a Tora on it. Still pretty low end, but it works for beginners.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I feel like i'm settling on a GT now. Solid reviews and forks appear to be far superior than other bike brands. I'm having a dig around on eBay, Gumtree and forums to get a second hand one. The 2010 model on Paul's Cycle is the same price as it sold for in 2011 which is odd. But then, maybe that shows how good the bike it is!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Even though my bro just spent 1200 on 2 bikes from Mailorder Sale and Discounted bikes GT Giant Cannondale Scott Mongoose Cube Cheapest sale offer cycles :: Pauls Cycles they wouldn't know 10% off from the GT. Faceless retailer that doesn't care about building long lasting customer relationships. Since i'll have to pay between 25-50 to have it set up get i think i'll wait for an end of line sale and pay more at my LBS.