Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    Did you let your 6 year old decorate it. Sorry not a fan of that.
    Good thing! If you liked it, I'd have to change it to something you didn't approve, lol.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    How is the engagement of that rear hub? I've never seen hat brand but it appears nicely machined.

Certified Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    How is the engagement of that rear hub? I've never seen hat brand but it appears nicely machined.
    I'm curious also. I bought a bunch of MOWA stuff off the 'bay for my recent build, and it seemed great quality. I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger on the hubs.
    Last edited by Lurch98; 08-05-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: typo, duh
    - Cody

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Sweet bike were can I order a fram like that
    29er rigid ss.
    Ride your bike

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    So far the MOWA hubs get a thumbs up! For the price they can't be beat.
    They have a nice loud click, but I haven't counted the clicks yet. Spin great, very light, and built up easily. I took them apart to check for wear, and so far after two races, and some training miles, still look great internally.
    Keep in mind that these are only XC use specific. I wouldn't use them for allmountain/dirt jumping/downhilling.

They are similar in construction to the ROTAZ hubs I had before.

Rotaz hubs:

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If you could, can you tell us about the carbon rims, and how the bike rides with the new wheelset? Really curious about these rims-thanks.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    The rims are sweet. They were designed to be a tubeless rim, and fit tight to the tire. They are virtual "carbon" copies of Easton rims. Built up easily, and even when a few rear spokes came loose after my initial break-in, they stayed straight and true. They are noticeably stiffer than the super thin Stan's aluminum rims.
    I built them 32 hole, 3x, and they still came in lighter than the 1300 gram wheelset I had previously, but I don't have a confirmed weight for them. The rims were around 280 grams each.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the reply, turbogrover. Looking at wheelsets now, and trying to come up with something that is light, strong, and reasonably priced. Have to start thinking about ordering some of these rims.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    I should also mention that I have 3 races, and lots of training and commuting miles on this bike already, and the wheels have been superb. Bike has been flawless except for the rear brakes.

The rear caliper leaks oil, and I've lost all rear brakes on the last two races I've been in.
    I bought the Hygia brakeset from ebay seller, evaevamei, and even though I had only used the brakes for 1 month, they refused to honor a replacement warrantee because of my purchase date. I was totally honest with them about the actual delivery and installation dates, and they didn't even offer a single option to me as far as a replacement or even a discount on a new caliper. I was even a repeat customer!
    So I would suggest staying far far away from evaevamei for any of your ebay purchases.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I don't know why, but I'm really digging the fish. Maybe it's the hologram that matches the anodized bits, they just seem to complete the bike.

mtbr member
    How much did you spend on the wheels?

Been wondering between paying top dollar for a set of wheels or give the carbon rims a chance laced up to smooth hubs
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    I spent $480 complete on the wheelset. That's carbon rims, Mowa hubs, DT revolution spokes, blue alloy nipples, and rim tape.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    I replaced the Hygia SLP brakes with Formula R1 brakes, after I couldn't get the rear caliper to stop leaking. I know I could've just bought another rear caliper, but didn't want to chance it again. The Formula brakes are awesome! One finger brake modulation, and ergonomic carbon fiber levers are a definite win-win for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogrover View Post
    So far the MOWA hubs get a thumbs up! For the price they can't be beat.[/IMG]
    Can we get an update on these Mowa Hubs? Are you still running them? Since you mention you have taken them apart could you please give us a bit more detail about the internal of this hub? I considering getting some of this cheap bay hubs for a xc race build but can't find much information on the Mowa hubs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Sweet build

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2