mtbr member

New Voodoo Bokor with old (2005) components

I have a plan...

I'm currently riding a 2005 26" Hardtail. The components are all pretty good (full XT with BB7s, Mavic wheels, and Thompson post) but the frame is cheap and beat up pretty badly. I want to replace the frame with a better HT frame.

However, I'm also buying a new FS this year so the HT will be a backup. I've been looking for a Yeti ARC frame but can't find one anywhere in my size (small). Then I discovered the Voodoo Bokor.

Voodoo Bicycles USA :: Bokor 26

From what I can tell, the Bokor shares nearly the same standards as my 2005 frame. Same headtube (1 1/8") so it will fit my current fork. Am I safe in assuming that my bottom bracket and wheels (old style skewer-type QR) will fit as well? Any other parts off my '05 that may not fit?

The advantage to this plan is that the Bokor can also run 650b. After I get my FS built, I can convert this to 650b if desired. It can even go SS if I decide to go that route.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You need to find out if the head tube is longer than your current frame and if so can you still use your present fork with less spacers?

You may not be able to run the same seat post or front derailleur due to possibly different tubing diameters (I.D. and O.D.) as well as FD cable routing differences.

You may need a different seatpost collar.

The BB shell may be a different width too, however shims might solve that problem.

You may need a different stem to duplicate your present riding position.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Good things to check. Thanks. The seat post is OK (good thing, too, as its a Thompson). Front derailleur is the righ diameter. Not sure about the BB but I'm sure my LBS could make it work or replace it

The head tube is shorter than my current frame so the fork should be OK.

But I haven't read a lot positive things about the Bokor from a construction standpoint. Misaligned frames seem to be a bit too common for my comfort.