Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 39798586878889
Results 8,801 to 8,861 of 8861
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    New to the forum, but not to mountain biking. Hello Fam!

1.) San Diego, CA native
    2.) I ride All Mountain/Enduro mostly
    3.) I've only owned 3 bikes in my life time. A Huffy back in the 80's, 2009 Trek Fuel EX9 that I recently sold, and now a 2017 Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    4.) I've been riding all my life but took a break between 1994-2008 haha!
    5.) I don't frequent any forums as far as mountain biking so this is a first for me

I love to ride bikes! Haven't been able to do that as much being active duty Navy for 20 years but that's all about to change when I retire in December! Looking forward to contributing to the community in all shapes and forms and meeting true enthusiasts from around the world. Check out my youtube channel if you get a chance! Dedicated to riding trails and less talk

Keep Pedaling!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIB...Xtx8y576o5zuhg

-MTB Chris

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    1) I am from Rutherfordton North Carolina

2) I am a very experienced rider that is having to start all over with some handicaps. I am just trying to get back on a bike.

3) Currently I only have 1 bike. I just purchased it used and fixed it back up as I am on an extreme budget.

4) I have been riding for 33 years. About 6 of those years were spent traveling from competition to competition.

5) I am a huge car and truck fanatic. I have been on a few sites other than this site. I havnt been on this site in years as I didn't think I would ever ride a bike again.

Current Bike:
    2002 Titus loco-moto
    Chris king hubs
    Mavic 819 rims
    Chris king headset
    Chris king bottom bracket
    Race face deus cranks
    Avid juicy 7 brakes
    Race face carbon rise bars
    Bontrager race stem
    Cheap carbon seatpost
    Cheap mtb seat
    Panaracer firexc tires
    XTR front derailleur
    X9 rear derailleur
    SRAM 9.0 halfpipe gripshift
    Fox rp23 shock
    Fox float 100 rlc fork

I bought the bike in some serious need of care. I have an extensive background of building and servicing bikes so it wasn't too scary. I completely disassembled the entire bike and every component and cleaned and re-lubed the parts. I drained the brakes and flushed them with new fluid. Changed the pads, and resealed the tires. Dissasembled the fork and shock, and cleaned the seals. I also replaced the shock and fork oil. I replaced the pivot bearings, and lubed all pivot points. The cranks looked super faded and oxidized so I hit them with a scotchbrite until they looked new. The bike seems to be pretty good and about ready to ride. I replaced the shifters and put new cables. I just need to do a final tune and take it out on some trails.

I used to be a very high level rider but was diagnosed with lung disease and had a love of my lung removed. During this they also found that I have a rare spinal disease (ankylosing spondilitus). I have about 45% lung function left and am in constant pain all the time so I won't be able to ride at the level I used to.

Previous bikes that I sold just after I got sick.

Mountain Cycle Battery with crazy high spec build

OnOne lurcher single speed all carbon everything

Trek Fuel EX 9.7

I am excited to get back on a bike. I am hoping to save up some money so that I can get my wife a decent used bike so she can ride with me. When I got sick we lost most of our finances and had to move and basically sell everything we had. I have three kids and they all like to ride as well, but they are on Walmart bikes for now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I am looking for information on a Paramount Series 70 bicycle that my daughter gave me. I l live in Washington State and ride a Trek road bike when I can. Iīm 71 years old but still love to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    1.) Where you are from? MN/WI
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? "weekend warrior"
    3.) How many bikes you own? 2: 2018 Fatboy, Revenio converted to flat bar
    4.) How long have you been riding?On and off since childhood
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? Gateway to airguns (my other hobby)

Been lurking for some time... Thought I'd register to get more out of this forum

Hi all!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    1.) Where you are from? Los Molinos, Ca (The real Nor. Cal)
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Mountain, trail
    3.) How many bikes you own? I currently own about 20+ bikes
    4.) How long have you been riding? Ive been riding bikes now for about 48 years... First bike was a Schwinn Stingray back in the late 60's
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? This is the first forum Ive joined. Looking for some help identifying a full suspension frame I bought from a metal recycling business near my place. I posted pictures of the only remaining graphics left on the frame and also included a picture of the serial number on the bottom of the frame. I find old bikes and frames that people don't want, either because the don't want them or don't want to spend the money fixing them, I fix them and sell them really cheap to people that can afford to buy or give them away to needy families... also do a little tattooing on the side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-dscn4175.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-dscn4176.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-dscn4177.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-dscn4178.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-dscn4179.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-dscn4180.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-dscn4181.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-dscn4182.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-dscn4183.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-dscn4184.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hey, I'm Tess (aka: the dusty Betty.) I've been riding almost 4 years. I travel full-time and I love seeking great biking all-around the country. I document my rides and my MTB exploits on YouTube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    1.) Tacoma, WA area
    2.) Beginner, I'm 41 now, last time on trails was when I was 14 I think (well before last week anyway)
    3.) 1 for me, 1 for wife, a number of them for the kids (mix of BMX, MTB, Beach cruiser)
    4.) A few times this summer on my 21 year old Schwinn rigid
    5.) Mostly 4x4 and dirtbike/Adv riding stuff.

Looks like there's more info here than I could ever learn. I'll probably be hanging out in the Clydesdale section looking for things that I won't break so easily.

mtbr member
    1 NW Arkansas
    2 XC - Single track mostly
    3 I've got a 1990 Cannondale full rigid 3.0 and a 2004 Cannondale scalpel 3000 Lefty
    4 All my life
    5 This is my only forum now...lots of gun forums in the past

I've enjoyed my time here so far...Happy trails everyone!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    1.) I'm from Salt Lake City, UT but originally from New England
    2.) I consider myself a downhill/trail/endure rider. I bike uphill purely to go downhill.
    3.) I currently own (3) bikes, which is not nearly enough
    4.) I rode road bikes for the past 15 years but started mountain biking and focused on that about 5 years ago
    5.) I'm a long time lurker.

mtbr member
    Hi all! I am Andrew Larson from Minneapolis, Minnesota. I am running specialized s works enduro expert as well as an m4(don't use because shocks where slaughtered) Enduro had other parts but now I am selling them to buy better ones) I like enduro, downhill, and slope style (with friends) I have been riding trail since I was 7. I used to have low end bikes. I like all forums.And killer v

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    1.) Where you are from? Baton Rouge, La Recently moved to South Asheville, NC
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? beginner mountain trails
    3.) How many bikes you own? 2: Giant Escape and Trek Marlin 5
    4.) How long have you been riding? On and off since childhood
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? Pirate 4x4, tigerdroppings

Just getting back into riding, my oldest is 7 and wants to start riding the trails around here.

Jacob

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    1. I'm from Pismo Beach, CA.
    2. I'm an intermediate/advanced rider. Been riding forever.
    3. I've got 3 bikes total, my main Specialized Camber (about 5 years old now), an old Klein from the 90's, and a road bike (that I hardly ever ride).
    4. Really got into riding on a regular basis in college - say late 80's? Started riding hard core and racing in about '90.
    5. Other forums? Stuff about F250 diesel trucks (my 6-point-uh-oh Powerstroke is always breaking), and ATVs (the other fun dirt-related hobby the whole family enjoys!).

Kids are starting to go off to college, so my wife and I have lots more time to ride now (she's a harder core rider than me - how'd I get so lucky?). Looking forward to getting new bikes in the next year or so too, and learning lots of cool stuff from the forum!

Scott

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Hello everyone. My name is Michael.
    1.) I am live in Greenwood, Indiana.
    2.) I am a beginner who is looking to loss weight, get into shape, and learn riding trails.
    3.) I currently own a Mongoose STAT from Walmart. It was all I could afford to get when I bought it 3 or 4 years ago.
    4.) Even though I have had the bike for a few years, I have just recently began to ride. I been riding around my neighborhood trying to get into shape and loose weight. I usually ride 3 to 5 miles at a time.
    5.) I have joined this forum and I have also requested to join the HMBA forum.

I have made a few upgrades to my bike replacing the front derailleur and gears along with the bottom bracket. Not sure if I will do anymore upgrades or invest in a new or used bike for riding trails. I am looking forward to learning about this great sport from the members.

Mike P.

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1971 View Post
    Hello everyone. My name is Michael.
    1.) I am live in Greenwood, Indiana.
    2.) I am a beginner who is looking to loss weight, get into shape, and learn riding trails.
    3.) I currently own a Mongoose STAT from Walmart. It was all I could afford to get when I bought it 3 or 4 years ago.
    4.) Even though I have had the bike for a few years, I have just recently began to ride. I been riding around my neighborhood trying to get into shape and loose weight. I usually ride 3 to 5 miles at a time.
    5.) I have joined this forum and I have also requested to join the HMBA forum.

I have made a few upgrades to my bike replacing the front derailleur and gears along with the bottom bracket. Not sure if I will do anymore upgrades or invest in a new or used bike for riding trails. I am looking forward to learning about this great sport from the members.

Mike P.
    Welcome to it dude!! FYI, I lost over 100lbs via riding (and changing my eating habits for the better ). It is a great way to lose weight. Definitely look into getting a stringer bike if you are going to ride anything rough. The Wally World bikes are not the safest depending on the trail.

I suggest fully rigid steel : Surly Bikes

other s here will suggest many different types of bikes, but for me, this was the best bang for the buck. Simple, strong, rugged...a tank. I have a 2015 Krampus. It was like getting 3 bikes in one!

If you have any questions this is the place to be...sift through all the info you will get. The best thing to do is to think about HOW you will ride and WHERE you will mostly ride as you start shopping bikes/parts. This will help make wise choices when ou go to invest in a bike!
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    1.) Where you are from? Tamaulipas, Mexico
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? All Mountain
    3.) How many bikes you own? 3 an Alubike XTA 2014, Specialized Camber 2015 and an Azonic Revenge 2008
    4.) How long have you been riding? 10 years
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? MTBR and GMBN on youtube.

Came here for reviews, and now i'm registering because i need help bulding my azonic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    1.) Where you are from? Charleston, SC
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Weekend warrior
    3.) How many bikes you own? Four: a Norco Torrent, an old GF Tassajara, a GT Tempest that's now a SS, and a Felt F75x XC bike.
    4.) How long have you been riding? Since I was a kid
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? None

Charleston is really flat. We have a couple of fun trails and a few more muddy, boring ones. But it's a great place and only three or four hours from some really great riding. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Hello,

1.) Where you are from? (as specific as you care to share)
    -- San Diego

2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...)
    - 29nr at moment

3.) How many bikes you own?
    - Two at moment

4.) How long have you been riding?
    - Several years infrequently but still blue trails at best

5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites)
    - T4R

Add anything else you care to share.
    - New to this site, will check it out.

Thanks,

-Brian

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Hi I live in NYC, and own a roadie and a fatty (Pugsley) that Iím currently building up. I commute everyday, and ride fast and furious on the weekends. At least thatís what I tell myself. Iím 39, and have been riding for a sling as I can remember. I just started on MTBR and the response has been great!

D

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by candyspan View Post
    Hi I live in NYC, and own a roadie and a fatty (Pugsley) that Iím currently building up. I commute everyday, and ride fast and furious on the weekends. At least thatís what I tell myself. Iím 39, and have been riding for a sling as I can remember. I just started on MTBR and the response has been great!

D
    Welcome fellow Surly rider!!! Krampus owner here!!
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Hello new guy from Poconos, Pa. Im a beginner all mtn/trail rider. I sold my marlin 5 and pro caliber to get my new Roscoe 7. I have been riding for about 6 months and i stipp consider myself a noob. Any riders near me please let me know.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Hi everyone! New to the forum and mountain biking in general.

1.) Where you are from? Western Massachusetts
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Roadie/MTB Noob
    3.) How many bikes you own? 1, just my Supersix Evo road bike so far.
    4.) How long have you been riding? 6 years as a roadie
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? MTBR, Bikeforums, Reddit

Decided to jump into the world of mountain biking to add some variety to my riding. I love road riding but by the end of the summer I need something different. Hopefully mountain biking can scratch that itch. Friend of mine is selling a 2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er that I'm trying out for a bit. Been on 2 rides so far (going again this weekend) and I love it so far. So much different from road riding (obviously). Can't wait to learn more and try out some local trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Hi everyone. I'm a new "29'er" here from Central Florida.

Just picked up my Trek EX5 last weekend. I have much to learn and glean from all of you here. I will be doing some trail riding as well as utilizing the bike for some street riding and occasional commuting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    1) Northern Virginia
    2)Trail/enduro
    3) 2 a 2014 specialized enduro and a old broken 26 inch Scott hard tail that i am planning on rebuilding
    4) About 2 years
    5) MTBR pinkbike facebook groups and reddit

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    )hi all from Australia

it's not easy riding upside down.
    cheers

been riding a long time, but only mountain bikes for past five years. as used to live in the city , now live on the coast.
    after trying a specialized turbo levo ht fattie ( 27.5 x 3.0" for two months bought a new 2018 turbo levo comp carbon 27.5 x 2.8" love it. lot of big hill's and the group I ride with ride 40 to 60 k at a fast pace. there are 5 turbo Levi's in the group out of 40.
    Last edited by kcarbon; 10-17-2017 at 11:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbchris619 View Post
    New to the forum, but not to mountain biking. Hello Fam!

1.) San Diego, CA native
    2.) I ride All Mountain/Enduro mostly
    3.) I've only owned 3 bikes in my life time. A Huffy back in the 80's, 2009 Trek Fuel EX9 that I recently sold, and now a 2017 Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    4.) I've been riding all my life but took a break between 1994-2008 haha!
    5.) I don't frequent any forums as far as mountain biking so this is a first for me

I love to ride bikes! Haven't been able to do that as much being active duty Navy for 20 years but that's all about to change when I retire in December! Looking forward to contributing to the community in all shapes and forms and meeting true enthusiasts from around the world. Check out my youtube channel if you get a chance! Dedicated to riding trails and less talk

Keep Pedaling!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIB...Xtx8y576o5zuhg

-MTB Chris
    Im active duty in SD. Lets ride!

mtbr member
    Hi everyone! I'm Scott and I'm relatively new to the forum and to Fat Biking.

1.) Where you are from? West Michigan..... Beer City USA.
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Intermediate MTB rider
    3.) How many bikes you own? 2, 1. Trek 830 Antelope MTB with RockShox (1996, ice green/ice indigo fade) and just ordered my first Fat Bike..... 2. Motobecane 2018 Sturgis NX with Shimano PD-MX80 Saint Pedals
    4.) How long have you been riding? 21+ years Mountain, trail
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? MTBR, fatbikeforum.com

I've been wanting to get into Fat Bike riding for a few years now. I saw my first fat bike race in Northern Michigan in the snow on the VASA trails in March of 2015. I enjoy my mountain bike but really wanted to get into riding a fat bike. Can't wait!!!
    Last edited by scottwoll1; 10-17-2017 at 12:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    1.) Where you are from? Riverside, CA
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? beginner,
    3.) How many bikes you own? 2 treks, (1) trek 4 series w disk brakes (2) trek 4300 aluminum
    4.) How long have you been riding? 3 months
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? mtbr and youtube lol

What's up guys and gals, new member here from Socal. I am 24 years old and bought a used trek 4 series with disk brakes, tried out the hobby/sport and fell in love with it. Only down side is that I have no friends who like MTB so it's only me hitting up Sycamore Canyon lol any peeps from Riverside, CA let me know. Have a great day everyone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxtrek View Post
    1.) Where you are from? Riverside, CA
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? beginner,
    3.) How many bikes you own? 2 treks, (1) trek 4 series w disk brakes (2) trek 4300 aluminum
    4.) How long have you been riding? 3 months
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? mtbr and youtube lol

What's up guys and gals, new member here from Socal. I am 24 years old and bought a used trek 4 series with disk brakes, tried out the hobby/sport and fell in love with it. Only down side is that I have no friends who like MTB so it's only me hitting up Sycamore Canyon lol any peeps from Riverside, CA let me know. Have a great day everyone
    Welcome! You can post in the SoCal forum to find some local riders. Never been to Sycamore Cyn, is a bit of a drive for me, but have to check it out.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Just Joined, but Been Checking Things Out Here for a While

1.) Where you are from? Steamboat Springs, CO
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? All mountain leaning more Enduro
    3.) How many bikes you own? 4 right now... 2018 Norco Bigfoot 1, 2016 Norco Sight, 2010 Diamondback Overdrive, 1986 Team Murray townie
    4.) How long have you been riding? since about 1980 ish
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? YouTube

Deviant
    Just checking in...
    Getting back into the sport after a long hiatus. I'm in Florida and not married to any particular style of riding. Given my location I'd say mostly single track but I miss the mountains. I ride at least twice a week off road. Currently own 1 bike...a 2018 Yeti SB5+. Overall been riding since I was a tadpole and even during the hiatus from mtb I've been riding my dirt bike (KTM 690R). This is the only forum I'm a member of, mostly just to gain tech knowledge for repairs/maintenance and upgrades.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    1.) Where you are from? Anchorage, AK, but settled in Missoula, MT
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? A beginner after a long hiatus
    3.) How many bikes you own? 1
    4.) How long have you been riding? Current bike, about a week

Previous bike was a 2000 Jamis Dakar Expert I bought at age 15 with earnings from a summer job working on boats. Thought that thing was the coolest because it had disc brakes. Stopped riding the bicycle when I got a motorcycle in '08. Didn't pedal another bike until a military deployment to Japan in 2014 where I rented a Santa Cruz Highball 29 and had a blast riding around the city. Was hell-bent on getting one but never committed. Finally 3 years later I have myself a Santa Cruz Chameleon and love it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    1.) Where you are from? Jacks Creek TN is where I live now
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Trail weekend warrior
    3.) How many bikes you own? 2, one Rockhopper Sport 29, one Litespeed M1 Road bike. Wife has a Trek 4300, and my boys have a Giant and GT 24" MTB
    4.) How long have you been riding? Getting back into Mountain Biking after about 10 years off. Knee injury from trail running has pushed me back biking. I have started to find the love again. I have converted my 3.1 miles of private running trails into MTB trails. Blessed with 2 healthy boys that are finding the love for themselves.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread

Hi guys, realised I didn't do my introduction despite being on the forum for a couple of months now, so here I am!
    My name is Brandan btw.

1.) Where you are from? Singapore, Southeast Asia
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? XC/Trail
    3.) How many bikes you own? Just 1 - a 2016 Cannondale Habit Carbon 3
    I did own a 2010 Scalpel Carbon 1 before that though
    4.) How long have you been riding? Almost 4 years now. Did commuter riding in my childhood if that also counts, lol
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? This is the only cycling forum I visit.

Also, the trails in Singapore are mostly quite tight, and there's climbs everywhere. Mainly technical more than flowy too.

Happy "forum-ing" and cheers!

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

EKE
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Hi,
    My name is Jim from N. New Mexico.

I'm a total noob (emphasis on oo) both to mountain bikes and biking in general other than some time on a cruiser commuting to work a decade ago and a little BMX when I was a kid.
    I own one bike, a stock Pugsley Necromancer that I've had for all of a month and a half, which, not at all coincidentally, is how long I've been riding, I mostly ride in the arroyos (like dry stream beds for those scratching their heads) a lot of sand and rocks but not steep or technically challenging.
    I dont frequent any forums yet but imagine I'll find myself spending time in the Fatbike section and probably the NM forum as well.
    Thanks and cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Hi I am Rob from Meridian, MS.

I grew up on a bike, small town; as an adult I was off an on, road biking and some MB but I have been away from this for about 15 years.

Last year I had open heart surgery, I decide to get back on the bike.

I had to relearn, bought an Electra Super Curser 3i; perfect bike for this!

As my skills came back I got a Trek VERVE-2. A good on and off road bike!

We have great trails and tracks about a mile form where I live.

I started exploring the high country, upper hills, and realized that I needed a MB.
    So I got a Cannondale Catalyst 2, traded the Electra in on it.

My type of riding; I am easy, moderate, aggressive; just depends on the conditions and my mood! I was really suppressed at what I put that Electra through!

We are in the foothills of the Appalachin mountain range, we have a lake with good fishing and Eagles to watch, plus great bike trails / tracks and rideing for road bikers.

Also good cell phone service, I say this because I have read in the forums that some ride in arears where there is no service. I have know of men who have gotten lost hikeing, cought after dark and had to call for help.

I am new to the site so I am learning the forums, I can tell that this is a great site and I can tell that I will learn a lot. We have a new facebook bike groupe 'rideing with Meridian', I will to share the site.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Hello! My name is Monika, and I'm from Alberta. I am a beginner rider in the sense that I haven't attempted a drop or a jump since I was 14 and I just turned 30. So to say the least it's been awhile.
    When I was 14 I got my first dog, and that meant ditching the bike and going most places with him on foot.

I picked up a decent hybrid to use as a commuter when I was in Uni, and waited awhile to replace it after it was stolen. Then I got the "job from hell" and stopped riding for several years. Too tired, too stressed. Winter of 2015 I decided to take up dog sledding, and by spring I had added what is essentially a mountain scooter to my belongings to train the dogs when the snow melted and the sled wouldn't run.

So I own two bikes, if you count the scooter.
    The hybrid I bought to replace my stolen bike is a Norco Plateau (2010)
    The scooter is a Diggler Alpha Dog, the gentlemen at the bike shop get a kick out of it and did a great job fixing it up after we blew the brakes up at the end of summer 2016. They think I'm nuts though.

In Summer 2016 I decided to haul the bike out as well as it was easier going up hill on it than on the scooter. I also wanted to get in better shape and lose weight so I started commuting to work, 20 km round trip. Unfortunately I went too hard too soon and blew up my knee. Not wanting to give up biking OR mushing I converted my bike to an electric pedal assist with parts off ebay. Downside? Weighs a tonne.

But that helped me get through the rest of the season commuting to work three times a week.

With a new knee brace ordered and hopefully arriving this week, and too much time on my hands now that I'm done with the job from hell, I am ready to add to my fleet. I've been browsing the forums for a little over four weeks getting answers to questions and reading bike reviews. I've also subbed to some of your youtube channels! What prompted me to join, however, was when I discovered the Clydesdale forum on here. Riders I felt I could relate to!

My goal is to up our bikjoring game as I train my team for winter competitions. So not exactly a mountain biker per se, but I do need a sturdy ride under me with good brakes. I've learned a lot already and am now officially shopping for a bike while I wait for my knee brace to come in. Then we'll be ready to rock and roll.

noob bikepacker
    ^^^ Welcome to it! I am so jealous that you get to do dog sledding AND MTB! I have been around and raised Siberian Huskies all my life, but given where I live (C-bus Ohio) have never got to have them mush.

Tons of info on this site! Check out the Dogs with Passion thread for sure.
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks for the welcome! So far everyone has been super friendly.
    I have a border collie, a kelpie mix, and now an Alaskan sled dog (which is a siberian husky cross bred for either distance or sprint racing. Mine is a distance type, more suited to our colder winters).

I started with the border collie, kelpie, and my now deceased australian shepherd, though he was 14 by the time we started so he ran along side more than he pulled in harness. I only got the sled dog last winter as an 8 month old pup so he's just now getting into full training, but loves to pull the bike and scooter. We got our first dusting of snow today so looks like the sled can come out of storage soon.

I want to take up the biking to get in better shape to run the dogs because right now I'm one fat musher, so it's totally connected. I probably wouldn't have looked at doing one without the other, but it's amazing the confidence I gained learning to run my guys as a team. You give up a lot of direct control and have to really trust in dog! Now I feel confident trying other sports that I always thought looked like fun but figured I didn't "fit" the body type, athletic ability, etc for. But browsing this forum and seeing the wide variety of people engaged, age and build, and personality... so many good helpful people, who don't seem to care who is on a bike, as long as they're on a bike!

I have friends who do mid distance racing with purebred Siberians. Would love to get one some day, but hard to find racing line Siberians here. Their dogs are way better behaved than my crew! Haha! But the herding dogs stop when you fall off the sled, so there's that going for them.

Check out dryland and urban mushing though! See if there is something you like. We live in the city and basically just wait until after dark in the winter to hit the public pathways on our little sled. In the spring and fall we run on wheels. In the summer, well, depends on the summer. Wheels if it's a cold summer, sitting in our kiddie pool on the deck if it's a hot summer haha! This was a hot summer, so we're well behind on our training, but first stage race starts next week, so I need a new bike fast! And if I want to win again this year I got to pedal some pounds off and get my own endurance back up. This was the summer of way too much beer and wings.

noob bikepacker
    my Siberians only ever raced to the dog bed, or the food bowl...most were abuse rescues. I did have them pull me on my rollerblades back in the day, but that was dangerous because of the wandering gene and the "squirrels" gene. I would love to have one as a trail dog, but again...the wandering gene and the "squirrels" gene.

I will check out the dryland and urban. We are without dogs right now for the first time in 20+ years b/c we live in a small condo. Will be moving to a house with a great yard here in the next few months, and will then get at least 1 or 2...again, rescue Sibs and German Shepherds...
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Hi everyone:

Just found these forums. At 56. getting back into mountain biking after about seven years off or so after I dislocated my clavicle at Whistler. I kinda went on a bike buying spree, as you'll see below.

Where are you from? Lower mainland, BC
    What kind of rider do you consider yourself? XC/Trail, Intermediate
    How many bikes do you own? 3 - A 2017 Ridley A50 for road, gravel, and the generally rough roads of Vancouver; a 2017 Trek Fuel EX 9.8 29er; and a Norco Charger 9.1 29er hardtail.
    How long have you been riding? Since I was 35, with the break mentioned above.
    What forums do you frequent most? Definitely this one.

Don't have many pictures of me lately, but the one below was from Vedder mountain this last weekend. The pic is blurry, but I'm wearing my vintage Roach pads!

Last edited by bjeast; 11-02-2017 at 11:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Hola ya'll. Im a long term expat from the southern USA currently living PanamŠ.

My check in:

1.) Where you are from? (as specific as you care to share)

Originally from the USA, but have lived in Central America since 2005: Belize, Guatemala, and now VolcŠn, PanamŠ.

2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...)

Intermediate. Trail rider mostly.

One. My wife just bought me a GT KARAKORAM from a friend who was passing thru...for $200...even with some upgrading will still be a cost effective bike. Sure beats the crap out of the Chino piece of junk I had for peddling around town though! Looking forward to some longer rides now.

Rode a lot decades ago when I lived in Texas, just now getting back into it...some beautiful options up here in the Chiriqui highlands of PanamŠ.

Im a sailor, sailed to Central America on my boat, so mostly Cruisers Forum, but also brew beer (HomebrewTalk), and have a Jeep XJ for offroad so a few Jeep forums too.

I have combined sailing and biking before...we used to carry 2 full sized folding Mongoose bikes aboard...best combo was sailing to Cuba and biking there.

No good bike shots to share yet, but the shot below gives you an idea of the beautiful terrain we have here...great for hiking, 4WD, and of course...biking!

Enviado desde mi SM-T820 mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Cool-blue Rhythm

Hiya people,

1) Iīm from Perķ, I am a hardtail bad ass fan.
    2) I am an advanced rider dedicated to all mtn/trail
    3) I have a 1 "do it all" bike
    4) been riding abusively about 3 years
    5) Any forum that has the info I need in the moment I need it

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hello from Canada!
    1) Living in Edmonton, Canada
    2) I ride mainly cross country, some road for the exercise, and whatever the kids can ride
    3) I own 3 bikes, a 2001 Kona Muni Mula thatís still in great shape, a Devinci Silverstone for the road, and just picked up a 2018 Trek Stache 5. Mountain bikes sure have changed in the last 16 years.
    4) been riding since the mid 90ís, but been riding more regularly in the last few years
    5) This forum, right now

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Welcome to the forums (even though I'm rather new here myself). Where do you ride around Edmonton? The only place I've taken my mtn bike around there is near Riverbend, down by the river.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the welcome! Riverbend/Terwillegar area is great, especially riding towards Windermere and just across the river in Oleskiw. But really, there are trails all along the river valley, by Fort Edmonton Park, below the U of A, Mill Creek, below McNally High, which connects all the way to the Science Park, and Fort Saskatchewan. Like many here, I use Trailforks, which has almost every trail mapped.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Next summer, when we're back visiting I'll be sure to check out Trailforks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    born and raised in riverside,ca
    just started riding my bike to work, im a beginner for sure.
    i own 1 bike: 2014 trek 820 (xl frame)
    here ive been mostly looking at the gallery forum and the 26" page
    other than here im on a few subaru forums as well.

mtbr member
    Hello!
    1.) Kyiv, Ukraine
    2.) Randonnťe, XC weekend warrior, singlespeeder
    3.) current bikes:
    Bottecchia 989, custom
    ORBEA LOKI 27+ H30 (2016)
    HVZ Sport B-541, SS
    previous bikes:
    Trek Superfly Al 2013
    Kona Mahuna 2011
    Bergamont Beluga Speed 2009

4.) Total experience starts from 1988, but only 2008 begins a serious rides
    5.) 27.5+/29+ forums

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Hi all!

1.) Where you are from? SoCal! Escondido, specifically.
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? AM/Trail newbie
    3.) How many bikes you own? Two. A 2003 Trek 4300 (my old college bike), and a 2017 DB Sync'r Pro.
    4.) How long have you been riding? Since I could walk, but I have mostly rode BMX as a kid and this my first foray into the mountain biking world.
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? This is the only mountain biking forum I visit, and no other current forums I use right now. But I tend to spend a lot of time on them depending on the hobby I am in.

My name is Angela, I am a wildlife biologist, and I work mostly on Marine Corp Base Camp Pendleton conducting endangered bird research. I spend most of my day hiking around base solo, which can be pretty exciting!

I used to BMX when I was a young adult/teen then as things go, got preoccupied with other things. When I went to college, I got a trek for commuting and the occasional "mountain biking" which wasn't all that much.

I used to be a runner, but in 2014 I got in a bad rollover accident and had to have surgery in both knees due to it. One ACL and one one meniscus repair later, and I find I can't run anymore. So I decided to get back into biking. I have a bunch of friends all over who mountain bike so I decided to try it out, knowing I would love it. Like I said, I'm a noob, but I have been getting out there after work, mostly going to areas in Carlsbad and Escondido to learn. I'm still getting the hang of the new bike (it's only 2 weeks old) and trying to build up my endurance. So here's to getting into better shape, enjoying the outdoors, and meeting lots of new people out there who are also passionate about the hobby!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Hi everyone! I'm a middle aged lazy sloth who plans on someday getting back into mountain biking. Will start with forum arm-chair biking first.

1.) I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area
    2.) Annual Warrior?
    3.) One old Yeti AS-R that has not been maintained, but works well when needed
    4.) Most of my mountain biking was done 17 years ago. Now not so much.
    5.) I like to take photos! Sometimes I'm on Dpreview.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtistasty2 View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm a middle aged lazy sloth who plans on someday getting back into mountain biking. Will start with forum arm-chair biking first.

1.) I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area
    2.) Annual Warrior?
    3.) One old Yeti AS-R that has not been maintained, but works well when needed
    4.) Most of my mountain biking was done 17 years ago. Now not so much.
    5.) I like to take photos! Sometimes I'm on Dpreview.
    No worries, we all are middle aged/lazy/sloths that ride as much as possible
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    This is Ed...
    getting my first fat bike soon... canít wait to explore the taÔga/ tundra!

1.) Where you are from?
    Kuujjuaq, Quťbec. Anyone from Nunavik in the area?

Used to have a cannondale lefty but sold it a few years ago, I was riding a road bike when I was in Toronto but now iím getting a Norco Bigfoot

2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Commuter / everyday warrior hehe

3.) How many bikes you own? Two

4.) How long have you been riding? Since high school, on and off.

5.) What forums do you frequent most? First one here.

Looking forward to learn a lot about fat biking.

Huckin' trails
    Welcome Ed, glad to have you in MTBR community. To my knowledge you're the first one I hear being from the far north of Quebec, however there's several fellow Quebec riders on here and there's probably some close to you. I'm from Montreal myself. If you hang around for a while, I'm sure you'll run into them.

It's hard not to enjoy a fat bike in the wild, especially if you have nicely tamed snowmobile trails.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Welcome Ed, glad to have you in MTBR community. To my knowledge you're the first one I hear being from the far north of Quebec, however there's several fellow Quebec riders on here and there's probably some close to you. I'm from Montreal myself. If you hang around for a while, I'm sure you'll run into them.

It's hard not to enjoy a fat bike in the wild, especially if you have nicely tamed snowmobile trails.
    Right on, thanks! We don't really have any official snowmobile trails here... nice and groomed ones like in the south... but I think it will be fun regardless! Looking forward to see the river freezing soon... so that we can cross it to the other side...

Cheers!
    Ed

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Concord/Pittsburg ca. NorCal
    Novice/intermediate rider

looking to get in to a slope style dirt jumper or similar mtb. I rode bmx when I was younger havenít riden a lot in the past 5or so years wanting to get back in to it

Been on bikes since I was 4 really in to bmx/dirt jumps/ freeride from about 8-23 then stopped riding for a while

Just signed up in this first bike forum Iím on

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Newbie and the school of sticky knocks

Hey MTBR fam, nice to meet you!
    I used to ride some single tracks in VT and NH, but it had been years, and years. So I took the plunge a month ago and bought this Surly Wednesday used. Seemed in great shape, but two weeks in I had a flat on the rear with some kind of white messy liquid leaking out. What is this????

Bam, not only had I never ridden a fatty, but I didn't even know that the tire was tubeless. What's a tubeless tire? What a concept! Now what do I do? At 53 I realized that I didn't know what I thought I knew.

Well I read enough on these forums from the outside to get me through it, but also just not enough to be dangerous!

I used Zip tape for the My Other Brother Darryl rims with cut outs, but I was hurrying and didn't add anything else inside the rim. It worked, I was back in action, but now I had sticky cut out bumps, and that Zip tape sure is sticky. Was planning on reading more and re-teaching myself correctly, but then had one of those "what if" moments.

I searched on line and found some prismatic powder (I guess it's the same stuff as used for fancy powder coating) in a sea foam green that seemed to match the Wednesday color and sold for $10.95 for a 1lb bag. After it arrived I poured on the rims and distributed it around with a dry paint brush, and then got the hose off and rinsed off the powder.

Not only did it work (no more sticky zip poking through) but it was pretty painless. Since I've got enough powder for 50 bikes I'm probably going to reseal the front tire as well. Just wanted to share in case any other newbie has an oops moment.

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-surly-wednesday.jpg

Bikes? My other bike is an Iron Horse Maverick I won at a raffle. I always thought it was dependable, but it feels like a toy when I try to ride it now.
    From? Natick, MA now (originally from VT)
    Ride? Well right now it's just to and from work, but I just got a rack for the FJ and am itching to find some good trails and get out there.
    What else? Oh, the bike came with an extra set of handle bars...so I put them on...Jones H bar. Different but I kind of like them.

I have no signature. I have no clue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    1.) Where you are from?
    I am from Virginia Beach, Va. We have no trails!

Road Cyclist and Ultrarunner

1 road Bike

On and off since I was a child

Game Collectors Forums

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    1.) Raised in Lake Tahoe and currently living in Bay Area (San Jose)
    2.) All mountain/Trail rider/Road. Love anything in two wheels!
    3.) Ibis Ripley Gen 1 X01 ďwerksĒ package (for sale) and Cannondale Synapse Di2
    4.) Grew up riding but never on good bikes so they would break. Then I discovered riding on new generation bikes in 2014 and fell pretty hard for the love of the sport.
    5.) Many Hobbies so have Always read many forums but now starting to participate more

Have read many posts here over the years which lead to my first true MTB purchase of s Ripley. Loved it and recently demoed a Yeti SB5 and fell in love. Now that Iím stronger for climbing since first starting the sport, I feel Iíll enjoy the all around benifits going to Something a little more slack. Day job is a pilot and very OCD wth my equipment so if anyone is interested in buying my Ripley, I just posted it over in the classified section. Looking forward to many more years of riding and learning with everyone!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Hi, everyone!
    1.) Matt from Phoenix, AZ area
    2.) all mtn/trail rider
    3.) Own 1 hardtail: 2007 Kona Caldera
    4.) Been riding since 2008
    5.) New to forums, mostly browsing technical pages

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Fresnan here

Just signed up. My name's Eric, i live in Fresno, California, and after decades of wanting one, i finally got a mountain bike. It's a BMC sportelite, one of the lower end models with Alivio components. Possible buyer's-remorse, but it'll work for now.

Back in the 80s i used to race club criteriums with my Bianchi Campione d'Italia, in the late 90s/early 2000s i bought a Gary Fisher Wingra for around town. Looks like a mountain bike but made for pavement. Found a BMC sportelite 27.5 on sale last week and due to peer-pressure and extra cash in my pocket, went for it without much research. Dang.

Now i'm looking for trails around my area, and need to relearn how to ride, specifically off-pavement. I'm a wuss when it comes to off-pavement. I'm also a professional photographer who fly fishes in my off-time when i can.

-eric

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Brad from Virginia

Checking In
    Brad from Virginia
    trail rider, long gravel rides (Rough Ride, Little Washington)

Currently Mountain bike less. My beloved 2001, Specialized Stumpy FSR died with a blown rear shock that RocShox wouldnít repair. Iím considering moving away from full suspension and getting back to the simplicity and versatility of a hardtail.
    Now Iím trying to figure out what to buy. I love the idea of the boost standard 110mm front tru axle and 148mm rear which allows the frame to fit 29Ē tires or 27.5+ tires.

My shortlist, Specialized Fuse, Santa Cruz Chameleon, Salsa Timberjack, Surly Karate Monkey.
    Reach list, 2018 Stumpy FSR, Canyon Spectral, Jeffsy Al 29.
    Bikes kicked off the list Trek Roscoe, Specialized Camber both blew it by not following the boost standard.

Been riding all my life, mountain bikes since 1984.
    Virginia Like Wakefield park, Difficult run trail from Great Falls to Reston, Cambo trails.
    Alaska power line pass, hillside trail system
    California, USCB campus point trails

Photo is me at Wakefield park with a little green snake. Iím a bit of a reptile freak.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-mewithgreensnake.jpg  

Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 39798586878889