Jan 2013
    hey

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

New to MTBR

Fremont,CA.

Riding for 3-4yrs off and on.
    Getting more into it these days.

I own one bike: Iron Horse Maverick Hardtail 06.

I ride XC trails in the area. Water Dog is my fav. so far.

I am looking to purchase a used FS bike-

First MTB was a 1992-3 Trek 4500(6500?) LX/XT with Trek Mogul shock back in 1995.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hello all, I am from the eastern shore of the united states, I have been really riding regularly since January of 2012, I own two bikes a trek and a diamondback and I enjoy riding them both, I would consider myself to be more of a casual trail rider I try to hit the trails as often as I can. I look forward to learning as much as I can from this forum about trails, trail building, bike maintenance, and different type of riding.
    -Arctic
    2012 Trek Mamba
    2011 Diamondback Response

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Hello Bikers

I'm Blake and I'm happy to be here.

1.) Where you are from? Atlanta, GA
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Recreational Weekend Guy
    3.) How many bikes you own? Just one. A mid 90's Specialized Hardrock. Yes, It's old schools for sure.
    4.) How long have you been riding? Since I was 6 years old
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? This is my first post.

Nicholas
    Jan 2013
    High I'm a newbie from Akron, Ohio area, riding a Cannondale Trail SL 29er.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi everyone, I'm new to tho mtb world, will buy my first bike in few weeks. I'm from Montreal, Canada. I'm here to learn more and try to buy a good first bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi

Newbie from arlington texas. Just started riding to get back in shape, got a long ways to go. So far just riding the local trails, looking to buy a new bike in the next couple if months to replace my schwin sidewinder

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Noob to the forum

Hello everyone. My name is David and I've been lurking on this forum for several years. I thought it was about time to join and participate. Great collection of knowledgeable people on here and I'm hoping to learn.

1.) Where you are from? (as specific as you care to share)

Citrus Heights Ca. ( San Francisco Bay Area Transplant.

2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...)

I would consider myself a weekend warrior with a small bit of skill.

3.) How many bikes you own?

I own one mountain bike.. and a sport bike.

4.) How long have you been riding?

I have been riding on and off for about 10 years.

5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites)

I mostly frequent sport bike forums and gun forums such as gixxer.com and ar15.com

I'm glad to be here and look forward to talking with some of you.

mtbr member
    Hi all

My name is Robbie, new to the forum. Im from Ireland, try to hit the trials every weekend. Recenlty picked up a full sus bike, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC 50. I have a road bike too so I can work on my fitness. Only really getting into biking in the last year and I have to say its addictive.

Cheers
    Robbie

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hey everyone,
    I just got myself a new to me bike today and thought I would join up!
    Picked up a Rockhopper FSR comp and took it on its first ride today and it was great!
    I am from Santa Cruz and looking for some people to go riding with. I've been riding for about 10 years on mountain bikes and 14 years on dirtbikes.

mtbr member

Rachel

Hi! Im Rachel, Im from PA but just recently moved to Hampton, VA
    I just got my bike (08 Giant Trance x2)
    I am just beginning to learn the basics but am really interested in mountain biking when I get a bit more skilled
    I just joined this forum and will also be joining pinkbike as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Smile hi everyone

hi my name is glen and i live in goring on thames oxfordshire england
    i ride a marin palisades trail29er 2013
    i have been married for 22 years this year

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    1.) Fruita, CO
    2.) Love to ride any time I can road or mtb
    3.) three.
    4.) Two years
    5.) New to forums

29ers Forever
    1.) I am from Vermont
    2.) I would call myself a beginner XC singletrack rider
    3.) I own four bikes
    4.) I have been riding "real" bikes for nearly three years

Roosey
    names aaron from VA.
    love all types of riding
    i own two bikes(1 freeride/AM, 1 XC)
    ive been riding for almost ten years

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hey Drew here from New Haven CT. Im 46. Started mountain biking a long time ago with a Cannondale M800 "Beast of the east" or whatever it was called. I kept that until 2002 when I bought I Gary Fisher Sugar 3 Disk. A year later I upgraded just about everything on the bike. Should have just bought the right bike up front. Live and learn. Anyhow I rode that bike until a few years ago when I got hurt walking. Took over a year to get healed. Since that time I barely rode got fat and lazy. This past September I woke up with some internal pain. After being poked, prodded and scoped the doctor gave me an ultimatum. Get skinny and back in shape or face surgery. To that end in October I bought my first road bike since I was a teen a Cannondale Synapse 5 Carbon. Been trying to ride often.
    I am so impressed with this road bike It has me wondering just how far mountain bikes have come since 2002 knowing full well that once I begin asking questions the answer will cost me a chunk of cash.

I still have my GF Sugar but now I think I deserve an upgrade. As much as I enjoy the roads I am not enjoying traffic and distracted drivers. Im happiest when Im among nature. I hope to get a bike by March or April. As I keep stuff a long time this could very well be my last mountain bike.

I may act and feel 20 but my joints and healing remind me 46.

To that end I joined here to learn about the new bikes. Im overwhelmed by how much has changed.

Thanks for having me.

Drew

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm Michael and I'm happy to be here.

1.) Where you are from? Brentwood MO
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? occasional racer
    3.) How many bikes you own? Just one. 2013 Santa Cruz Highball aluminum
    4.) How long have you been riding? Since approximately 2005
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? This is my first post.
    Last edited by Placibo; 01-20-2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: mispelling

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've sold my 1996 Rockhopper and been off the bike for over a year. Always been an intermediate recreational-fitness type of dirt rider. Looking to get a new Trek Mamba. SF Bay Area hills including Mt. Tam!

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by solidass View Post
    I've sold my 1996 Rockhopper and been off the bike for over a year. Always been an intermediate recreational-fitness type of dirt rider. Looking to get a new Trek Mamba. SF Bay Area hills including Mt. Tam!
    The Trek Mamba will be OK, but if you can spend a little more (approximately $200 more), then you could buy a Trek Cobia like me. (I had originally wanted a Mamba myself).

I kill hills.
    Jan 2013
    Hi my name is Paul and I too am an addicted to bicycles.

I am from Naperville, Illinois which is about 25 minutes west of chicago.
    I ride singletrack when I can but I also commute on my trail bike.
    I have only one complete bike at the moment but I have a double suspension bike in the works.
    I've been riding mountain bikes for about a year but I was a BMX nut about 10 years ago.
    I also frequent a couple other forums on the regular.. dgcoursereview.com, floatfishing.net, speypages.com and centerpintalk.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    The Trek Mamba will be OK, but if you can spend a little more (approximately $200 more), then you could buy a Trek Cobia like me. (I had originally wanted a Mamba myself).
    The Cobia is definitely one step up. The only issue is the wallet.

I have to hold myself back. I've never had discs before, and the step up to hydraulics alone is one huge bonus already. I'd be thrilled with the Mamba for many years.

Ridgeliner
    Jan 2013
    Hi I'm Venancio from Huntington Beach, CA
    I'm a beginner XC rider
    Own a Trek Mamba hard tail and have been riding for several years on my brother's Specialized Rockhopper.
    Frequent the Oklahoma City rider forums because I live here now.

Look fwd to riding with you if you're ever in the area!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Newbie from Sandy Eggo

Hey Forum, names Dougo-

1.) Where you are from? Sandy Eggo, CA
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? XC
    3.) How many bikes you own? Two. Older Specailized M-5 FSR/ newer Cannondale hardtail (looking to buy a used '09 Trek Fuel EX8)
    4.) How long have you been riding? Since approximately 1982
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? This one & only this one (newbie).

Prefer XC and tech climbs but will ride whatever.

banned
    Jan 2013
    1.) Where you are from? Georgia
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider,
    3.) How many bikes you own? Uno
    4.) How long have you been riding? 30 years

Been on the dirt riding since I was 5, started with a little BMX and just never have liked pedaling on pavement, that's what my motorcycle's for. I blew my knee out about 7 years ago and just now bought another bike and got back in the saddle. Its a 05 Hardrock Sport, and so far other than needing a couple small tweaks and small upgrades (fork anyone?) I'm pretty happy with my purchase.
    I'm still working on getting back into fighting shape and am doing two or three 5 mile trail rides a week weather permitting.

On topic or no reply
    Jul 2012
    1.) Where you are from? Long Beach ,CA

2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Bicycle rider. I am a young luddite. 30 years old, prefer metal frames, no suspension and friction shifting. I take my 'cross bike on the same trails as guys on Claymores and have been known to commute on a Salsa Fargo. I like riding all bikes, all the time, everywhere.

3.) How many bikes you own? At the time of this posting, 9

4.) How long have you been riding? Since I was 3, but more seriously since I was 15

5.) What forums do you frequent most? /r/bicycletouring; STR

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Are there many people from the UK here?

Bailey

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Howdy,

I own 5 bikes, 29r Rumblefish, Trek 990, and a few others, live in the Denver Colorado area
    I consider myself an advanced rider, been riding Mountain bikes since I bought my Trek 990 in 1990 and entered a race in Boulder that year. I like to ride Buffalo Creek, Hale Ranch, Waterton Canyon and some of the Green Mountain trails, including lair of the Bear. I ride about 60 miles each week and will be racing this spring and summer. I bought a night light this year and I am looking for riders of my caliber to ride with at night.

mtbr member
    Hello !

1.) Where you are from? Switzerland
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? weekend warrior ^^ downhill, freeride, enduro, to the train station
    3.) I've 3 bikes
    4.) I ride since 2007 with some breaks
    5.) here for the mechanical part mostly, english is not my mother tongue

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

... and if we just ... Hey Y'all

Hey I am Mike from Chelsea Mi,
    I am a long time biker. I started working in a bike store in 1978. At that time Mountain bikes didn't exist in the Midwest. I remember the day the Panasonic rep brought in a MTB and we thought it was the craziest thing I ever seen.
    I went on to work in bike stores till 1994 then I worked for Trek, Keith Bontrager, Gary Klein, Yeti and Schwinn.
    Now I own my own bike store in Chelsea MI Aberdeen Bike.

I usually only have 1 bike at a time. I am presently riding a Trek Superfly AL. I think it is great.

My favorite trail is the Pottawatomie in Pickney. Although My favorite place I have ridden is the echo canyon amphitheater new mexico. Very cool place.

I like all types of riding I am in a mountain bike period.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Please see my responses in blue.

Quote Originally Posted by gregg View Post
    1.) Where you are from? Texas
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? I am a roadie and trackie who has only done two off-road rides ever. Both were races this past fall; one XC and one Cross. The TXHSCL is a non-profit scholastic cycling league I run which has done a scholastic road race series for 7 years now and is still expanding into MTB with our 3rd annual scholastic series this past fall. Hence our reason for joining this forum. To continue getting more into the MTB side of things.
    3.) How many bikes you own? I personally own 5 but none are off-road. The League owns about 8-9 road bikes and 2 mtn bikes, all donated so kids can start riding.
    4.) How long have you been riding? Since February 2002 when I was a freshman in college.
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites) The Texas forum here as well as the TMBRA and TXBRA forums. TXBRA are the most frequented by both me personally and the TXHSCL.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-cycling-league-logo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hi riders,my name is Marco.

1.) Where you are from? Prato,near Florence,Italy
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself?all mtn/trail rider,
    3.) How many bikes you own? 2 bikes,transition covert,ragley blue pig
    4.) How long have you been riding? 15 years
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? mtb-forum.it,but this one looks interesting

ciao!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Joe from Chester County PA (near West Chester University). I like to ride everywhere/anywhere I can without irritating too many people. I currently own 4 bikes; 2 fat, 1 road/touring, 1 single speed mtb. I've been riding for 30ish years. I'm usually lurking the fat bikes forum...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Hey guys I am Jeremy,

1.) I live in Montgomery, AL.
    2.) I am trying to get back into Mountain biking.
    3.) I own just one Trek bike
    4.) off and on 15 years but never seriously....
    5.) hammockforums.net ( Yes... I am a Hanger )

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Spinal fusion!

I'm a 54 y/o male who had a spinal fusion (PLIF) at L4-S1 in October 2012 for spondylolithesis . I've been mountain biking for 22 years, and off-road motorcycling since I was 9 y/o. I'm looking for a spine surgeon on this forum who might be able to shed some light on my 2-wheel future!
    My surgeon doesn't want me to mountain bike or motorcycle anymore.... period! He thinks road biking would be ok, but who would want to do that? I currently own a Santa Cruz Blur Carbon 26" FS. It seems to me that a full suspension bike would be easier on the spine (adjacent levels!), than any road bike; any thoughts?
    Also, I was wondering if going to a 29er might also provide some added dampening to allow me to ride some "easier" trails? I certainly don't want to be a rebel and ignore the advice of my surgeon (he's also one if my best friends), but he's not a biker and probably doesn't fully understand the mechanics and physics of mountain biking.
    Obviously, I'm trying to convince myself it's okay to do some mild riding, but if anyone has any educated advice, or better yet, empirical evidence on this matter, I would certainly appreciate it!
    Sincerely,
    W84DIRT

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I feel your pain man.

When I was 15 I had a tumor next to my spine. Ended up with a curved and twisted spine. Had 6" of my lower spine fused with what I believe was called a "Harrington rod'. I was advised to walk slowly and maybe gentle swimming. Yeah right I rode dirt bikes, snowmobiles and mountain bikes. Snowmobiling became a problem in my mid 20's. Gave up dirt bikes and quads for lack of places to ride. Mountain biking was never an issue but I have always been mostly careful. Other body issues like my wrists and ankles are a bigger problem. Activities like doing dishes, standing for periods and shoveling snow are painful.

I dunno maybe listen to your doctor and your body. Ride with care.

Im just getting back into the sport after a couple year lay off. One of the reasons I want a new bike is I want every mechanical advantage I can afford that prevents or limits the risk of crash. Im 46 now.

Good luck I hope you can find a way and are able.

mtbr member

checking in

Hey everyone.

I've been browsing the hell out this forum the past few days as I get ready to purchase my first mountain bike.

I've been riding a Trek hybrid bike for commuting and exercise since late 2011 with a hiatus of 4 months for an Appalachian Trail thru-hike.

I just moved to South Lake Tahoe and am currently bike-less.

I'm looking at buying a Redline Monocog for riding around town and trying out some mountain biking when the snow and ice let up enough to hit the trails.

Peace and Love

-Sankara (JBC - South Lake Tahoe)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    1.) Live in Kansas City.
    2.) I'm mainly a weekend warrior/trail rider.
    3.) I have 3 bikes. A trek 7.3 fx, a trek 4300, and a NEW trek x caliber.
    4.) I've been riding since about 2004, but just recently decided to do it seriously.
    5.) Been lurking here for a while....thats about it.

I've been riding mtn bikes for a while but never really thought did much other than up and down curbs. I had a road bike for the last 4-5 years and was pretty happy with that. Then....last fall I decided to try mountain biking again with my old 4300. I starting riding a few times a week for a couple months and was LOVING it. I broke the wheel on my bike and went to my LBS to replace it and talked myself into a new bike. Now I have an awesome new bike....and a determination to use it!

Anyways, great to be here and I love the site. If anyone on here knows of or wants to ride in KC let me know!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Hi

Hi All

I'm Tom from Zurich, Switzerland.

I'm a road cyclist about to buy my first mtb in a long time.

I ride an Argon 18.

I've been riding for about 10 years.

I'm using this site now to get advice on what to buy. Much thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcleod View Post
    1.) Live in Kansas City.
    2.) I'm mainly a weekend warrior/trail rider.
    3.) I have 3 bikes. A trek 7.3 fx, a trek 4300, and a NEW trek x caliber.
    4.) I've been riding since about 2004, but just recently decided to do it seriously.
    5.) Been lurking here for a while....thats about it.

I've been riding mtn bikes for a while but never really thought did much other than up and down curbs. I had a road bike for the last 4-5 years and was pretty happy with that. Then....last fall I decided to try mountain biking again with my old 4300. I starting riding a few times a week for a couple months and was LOVING it. I broke the wheel on my bike and went to my LBS to replace it and talked myself into a new bike. Now I have an awesome new bike....and a determination to use it!

Anyways, great to be here and I love the site. If anyone on here knows of or wants to ride in KC let me know!
    Welcome to MTBR, gmcleod!

I live in the KC area too. Lots of good trails in the area, but still being somewhat new to the sport I haven't hit everything I want to yet. I'm hoping to fix that this year. Bought a Trek Mamba last year and love it... the G2 geometry of the Trek 29ers just seems to work well for me. Congrats on the X-Cal. Have heard a lot of good things about them. Maybe we'll meet up on the trails sometime and talk bikes (isn't that what most MTB'ers do?!??).

ride bikes, be happy.
    Hey Everyone, name's Justina
    1.) Where you are from? I'm from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, affectionately known as "The Yoop"
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? I'm a "weekend warrior", all-mtn rider.
    3.) How many bikes you own? I currently have a Trek Hardtail and I am rebuilding an old 80's road bike i found in the shed for commuting. Looking to get a never-used 2009 Trek fuel ex 5.5 that's sitting at the bike shop right now to replace my hardtail
    4.) How long have you been riding? Been riding pretty tame trails since jr high, so about six years of that. Started getting into some more serious trails over the past summer. (MQT's South Trails for anyone who knows them)
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? only mtb forum i'm on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkGX View Post

I live in the KC area too. Lots of good trails in the area, but still being somewhat new to the sport I haven't hit everything I want to yet. I'm hoping to fix that this year. Bought a Trek Mamba last year and love it... the G2 geometry of the Trek 29ers just seems to work well for me. Congrats on the X-Cal. Have heard a lot of good things about them. Maybe we'll meet up on the trails sometime and talk bikes (isn't that what most MTB'ers do?!??).
    Thanks Hawk! I've been really happy with the xcal so far. I got it at the beginning of December so I haven't ridden too much with the weather and holidays, but the little I did was great.

I haven't ridden too much around here either and hope to get to more this year. I have really only ridden the Shawnee Mission Park trails and the Kill Creek. Based on the reviews on here, I really want to get out to Landahl.

See you out there!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkGX View Post

Thanks Hawk! I've been really happy with the xcal so far. I got it at the beginning of December so I haven't ridden too much with the weather and holidays, but the little I did was great.

I haven't ridden too much around here either and hope to get to more this year. I have really only ridden the Shawnee Mission Park trails and the Kill Creek. Based on the reviews on here, I really want to get out to Landahl.

See you out there!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    New Member checking in. I've decided to take up the sport of Mountain bike riding after wanting to for the last few years. My 30'th birthday is coming up in the next few weeks so I'm treating myself with a new bike/gear.. I'm very excited for the recreational aspect, plus the fact I'm a bit out of shape and see the added benefit of losing a few pounds. On top of that I happen to live in a GREAT area for Mountain Bike Riding (or so I've been told, and seen - Agoura Hills/Santa Monica Mountains) I can basically ride out of my garage and find thousands of trails in my backyard.

Lately I've been spending allot of time researching bike options, etc, and I believe I've narrowed it down to a 29'er Hardtail based on recommendations from a few friends that ride, and some talk with the LBS. I do have 15+ years of experience riding Motocross so I have some skills that might transfer over, but my biggest worry being climbing... Right now I plan to ride Solo, as most of my friends that ride live in other states, so I will be taking my time on those climbs.

As far as Bike Choice, I've narrowed down two choices. Trying to keep it under $2k

Scott Scale 950
    or
    Specialized Carve Pro/Expert

They both seem to be evenly matched, but the Specialized is about $100+ more (Pro) but has the tapered head tube which I hear is a better setup. Any advice on these two bikes, or any others in the category would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bryant

mtbr member
    Fuel&Fire, I am going to get a little biased here, but I did ride both bikes. I owned a KHS previously, but decided it was time to upgrade to some modern technology. I rode a lot of bikes, all brands, both FS and HT. I bought a Scott, and have never had regrets. I loved the Scale, but spent the extra dough on a FS because I have a bad back. The 29er Scale was a close second. Don't discount the 27.5 wheels though, at least give them a look. The Spark 750 might be my next bike. Whichever you choose, though, will give you much riding pleasure. Happy Trails and Welcome!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

... and if we just ... Checking in

Hello

I would like to introduce myself, My name is Felipe and I live in Vallejo CA. Begining of last year I bought my first bike a 2011 HardRock Sport Disc, I used it a dozen or so times and put it up for the season. I mostly rode trails and some mountain. I'm getting really addicted to riding and cant wait for the upcoming season.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    New guy here. I started out last year on a Trek 3700 and have been bit by the MTB bug. Currently looking to build up a steel SS bike as my upgrade to what I have now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi there,

My name is Ricky and I live in N.C. I am currently pursuing a doctorate in pharmacy. I just started riding a few days ago and am totally hooked. I am currently in the market to buy a used bike at a price point of around 800 dollars. I am unsure of what to get exactly. From the research I have done over the past few days, I have seem to found the biggest debate in MBT. 26 vs 29. HT vs FS. Anywho, I will keep doing my research and I look forward to being part of this community.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hey Everyone, name's Greg
    1.) Where you are from? Im from Canberra ACT Australia
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? I am an all mountain rider but mainly cross country, I am about to do my second 6 man 24 hrs race (Mont24)
    3.) How many bikes you own? I own a 2013 Giant Reign 1, love it but its pretty beefy to be lugging around teh cross country trails
    4.) How long have you been riding? Been riding more frequently since i got the Reign 4 months ago, but riden dirt bikes for the past 2 years (2011 RM-Z250)
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? only mtb forum i'm on.

Looking to find some more information on what people have done to their reigns!

cheers
    Greg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi guys!
    First time poster- long time lurker.
    Thanks for having me!

1.) Where you are from? Washington State - Whatcom and Skagit County.
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...) Probably a weekend warrior. Wanting to run more singletracks. Probably going to pick up a 29er soon.
    3.) How many bikes you own? Just one right now, a 2005 Kona Stuff
    4.) How long have you been riding? A long time, since I was a kid.
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites). I'm on Bladeforums (unrelated to biking), Pink bike, and I check singletrack forums and some other misc. local forums.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

... and if we just ... Hello from down under

Hi all,

I'm a newb to the site as well as MTB riding in general, I used to ride bmx as kid so I naturally gravitated back to riding - only now the bikes are bigger.

I currently own only one bike A GIANT STP 0 2007 which I use for everything.

I like mostly single track riding, nothing too intense.

I know by bike is built for dirt jumping but I'm not that into it so I've set it up more for XC enduro type riding..........actually all it took was a longer seat stem. It works for me as I have no basis fro comparison but I'll probably be upgrading sooner rather than later.

Anyway Hi everyone!!

mtbr member
    Howdy

I'm Jon, and I've been perusing these forums while waiting for the brown truck to drop off my new Montague. What with the cost investment in the bike I have pretty much compelled myself to ride And it follows that I'll be spending time here as this looks like a great site. So why not register here, I asked myself. No reason, I replied. So here I am.

1.) Where you are from? I live just outside Austin, Texas, watching The City gradually, but very surely swallow up the small town where I live.
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/ trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...)
    3.) How many bikes you own? I own one bike, which I do not yet possess.
    4.) How long have you been riding? I took it up in 1989 and had a lot of fun with it for a couple of years. I had a steel Huffy 10-speed at that time.
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites) I make pens, mostly ballpoints, but am learning to make fountain pens from 'scratch' (as opposed to kit pens), as I greatly prefer fountain pens myself (but realize most people don't) so Penturners IAP and FountainPenNetwork.

Lots of great info from helpful people here! Glad I stumbled upon this site.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hello everyone
    I'm new to the mountain bike forums but have been riding bicycles my whole life. Right now I only have a hard tail dirt jumper but will be buying a nice all mountain free ride bike in the next day or two. I'm from the Salt Lake area... if any of you are around here and know of some cool trails/ places to ride get a hold of me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Evening all, just checking in from the UK here

1) From the not-so-sunny UK
    2) XC rider, sometime racer, sometime road rider
    3) Currently down to three bikes after having a but of a clear out
    4) Been riding on and off since about 1995
    5) Tend to browse on here and Bikeradar

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    1. Juls, Edmond, OK
    2. I usually ride trails and cross country
    3. Had a mongoose xr that got stolen. I am looking at buying a Diamondback Sorrento 2002(used)..
    4. I've been biking for years on and off . After my bike got stolen I got a cheap road bike but it was just no fun for me. I was off for 6 months and I AM ITCHING to get back ...

Can anybody tell me what parts I can use to upgrade the DB sorrento please ? Like which model of fork and maybe pedals and brakes I can get for a decent price. Will an upgrade from a 7 speed to an 8 speed be easy to do ? My budget was 250 but the guy is selling it for a 100 , so i have some room to fix it before i hit the trails . Thank you in advance

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    and I frequent Mtbr

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Name is Cordell, from Canada
    I xc, all mountain, downhill and dirt jump
    Norco Storm
    I just started riding in 2010
    14 years old
    Here to get help and be with the biking community.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Newbie of 2013

My name is Bill. I live in Conyers, Georgia Rockdale County. I own a very inexpensive intro bike built in China for Columbia sports. I am 54 going on 55 and need to get my cardio up. Rule number one: Cardio. I rode for the first time the steeple chase trail at the Conyers GHIP today (the 24th) What a workout! I bought this bike 4 years ago at Sports Authority and it felt good and fits quite well. It is a 19.5 in frame, has no special or high end components but at least I placed better pedals on it and installed strapless toe clips to allow better pedaling efficiency and a safer dismount in case I need to remove my feet from the pedals. I am looking forward to riding the River course at Yellow River near Stone Mountain after riding at GIHP. the horse park kicked my but. After going there, I now read "newbies should NOT for their first time ride the south course. NOW they tell me. After I go to Yellow river I will ride the north trail of the GIHP. Wish me luck.
    Happy Trails!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

response to the UK

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeTee View Post
    Evening all, just checking in from the UK here

1) From the not-so-sunny UK
    2) XC rider, sometime racer, sometime road rider
    3) Currently down to three bikes after having a but of a clear out
    4) Been riding on and off since about 1995
    5) Tend to browse on here and Bikeradar
    Great attitude makes a good rider. Just beginning myself at MTB. Trying to get better at being fit. Will not by any beer until I drop 10 pounds. Until then, no brew for me. Wish me luck!
    A yank across the pond.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Couldnt go without beer...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hy Guys,
    Michiel is the name, from France (although I was born in the Netherlands).
    Most of the time you can find me 'enduro' riding over here (Hautes-Alpes). Been riding since 2000 with some gaps in between (due to mountaineering ). Found some local downhillers here to train with so who knows I'll own a downhill rig some day as well.
    By now I have three nice bikes; a Kona Kula Deluxe from 2004, a Titus Motolite from 2005 on which I really learned fun riding. Now I moved to a Rocky Mountain Slayer sxc70 from 2009, I was too scared the Motolite would break someday.
    Quite active on some Dutch forums, here and on Pinkbike every now and then.

mtbr member

Howdy!

Glad to be here. Great forum with lots of good info and funny folks.

I am from Texas, I live in Northern Virginia now.

2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...)
    Weekend warrior, XC, Singlespeedster,

3 MTBs:
    01 Schwinn Rocket 88 Stage 4, in the process of becoming a SS.
    01 Schwinn Straight 6, set up for long travel XC work
    03 Haro Extreme X1, my sons bike and general loaner

Full disclosure might compromise my youthful apperance.....

The Schwinn-Mongoose and suspension forum.

Ride On !

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Hello mtbr.

Hello

I'm Jay, I've been riding off and on for my whole life but started taking it seriously last year
    It became to much of a hassle to snowboard. I live in Denver, CO. I was riding a Gary fisher cake 3 since 2008 but last yeah I threw down on a new 2011 trance x2. I would probably consider myself mostly a trail rider mixed in with some resort riding. I would say I am committed to advanced rider but my cardio needs some work. My latest favorite trail is a three hour drive south out of town called penetente canyon, the A loop. (Unable to load a pic right now so maybe later.)

mtbr member
    Nick here

1.) From South Louisiana
    2.) Weekend warrior
    3.) Own 2 bikes, soon to be 3
    4.) Got first bike in 2006 (Specialized Hardrock Sport)
    5.) Frequent singletracks.com the most

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Jason

Owner, Back Alley Bikes

Like a drunk owning a bar.

mtbr member
    Hi, my name is Denis

1. From Central Florida
    2. 20 miles during the week, trails on a Saturday, Sunday's are for golf.
    3. 2013 Trek Mamba
    4. NooB to MTB, bought the bike to get my 55 yr old azz of the couch and lose weight. In 2 months I've lost 12 lbs.
    5.Been lurking this site for several months, very informative folks here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

In the market

I am from Upstate New York. Albany

weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, 650b rider soon I hope

1 MTB: retro GT RTS2 purchased in 1995
    Coming soon I hope 650b, 27.5

Been riding for 20+ years

5.) What forums do you frequent most? MTBR of fer sure

I'm in the market for a new bike and was hoping to get some insight on purchasing from an overseas dealer. The prices seam to be significantly less for what I'm looking for. So I guess the question is. Should I beware?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-get-attachment.aspx.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

In the market

I am from Upstate New York. Albany

weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, 650b rider soon I hope

1 MTB: retro GT RTS2 purchased in 1995
    Coming soon I hope 650b, 27.5

Been riding for 20+ years

What forums do you frequent most? MTBR of fer sure

I'm in the market for a new bike and was hoping to get some insight on purchasing from an overseas dealer. The prices seam to be significantly less for what I'm looking for.

So I guess the question is. Should I beware?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hello Everyone. Well, really annoying I have to repsond to five posts before I can create a new thread to just ask a simple quesiton. So I guess I'll have to answer the questions one reply at a time to get my quota .,.. wow.

1.) Where you are from? A transplant in CO originally from PA

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Intermediate all mtn/trl

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    3.) How many bikes you own? 2 frames, 1 complete bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    4.) How long have you been riding? 30+ years, but the last 10 years "seriously"

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? linux forums; aviation forums; skiing forums; mtbr most frequently

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    1.) US of A
    2.) all mtn/trail rider
    3.) 2
    4.) Since '94
    5.) MTBR and XDA

mtbr member
    1 - From Blackpool, UK. Currently working (long term) in Richmond VA.
    2 - XC Intermediate
    3 - 2 - Spec Stumpjumper & Breezer Jet Stream Comp
    4 - SInce 2011
    5 - MTBR (Passion, 29ers & General)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Brand new to sport..

Big Mike here....

1. Essex County, NJ
    2. I'll be a trail/xc rider, heavy on the trail then going to am...maybe.
    3. None yet, got my eye on the Cannondale Trigger 29 Lefty though. Just left lbs about an hour ago. Like the way that bike looks, at least in the book, no bike shop has one for me to see.
    4. Haven't rode a bike in years, so my stamina will be put to the test for sure
    5. Of course this site and my other is stripersonline being other passion is surffishing at the jersey shore. So riding the trails will get me in shape for those long walks up and down the beach chasing those stripers. This is going to be a perfect match..

So with that being said, I'll look forward to all the knowledge from all you guys with the experince(especially the big guys). I'm 6'1'' and about 285 right now

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Hey all

1.) Where you are from? Longmont, CO
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? All Mtn. & DH
    3.) How many bikes you own? 7
    4.) How long have you been riding? Since 1990
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? nasioc.com, naxja.org

I've been visiting this site since it's very early days but never registered until now.

Climber
    Jan 2013

Hello

Hello!

1.) Where you are from? (as specific as you care to share) Ventura County area
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...) all Mtn/trail - 29er
    3.) How many bikes you own? 5
    4.) How long have you been riding? 22+ years, but just getting back into it seriously
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites) This forum mainly

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hello, Im Tom I ride and race bmx I got an odd mountain bike frame so would like to see if anyone could id it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    1. Who cares
    2. Who cares
    3. Who cares
    4. Who cares
    5. was there a 5th ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Michael (Mike) Shanks > MikeLee777

Started riding road in Jul 2011, MTB Dec 2011

1st road > hand me down Felt F75 from brother
    1st MTB > 2005 Specialized Epic, w/Fox forks

current road 2006 Trek 5.2 Madone
    current MTB > 2012 Specialized Epic

Have reviewed the Epic on MTBR, will be doing roughly 500 mile / 3 month update soon, have had some challenges

Ride MTB 2-3 times per week, local Phoenix, AZ trails more often than not.
    I do get up on Black Canyon Trail, Sedona, Prescott, etc... hope to make pilgrimage to Moab in spring.

Ride road 2-3 times per week as well, starting doing a few sanctioned events this year, 1st big one is Tour De Gila in May, goal is to finish (4 day stage race)

So I am cross species cyclist (remind me to post definition of cyclist sometime)

I define myself is AOGWB

another old guy with bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi all - hope life's smiling on you all!

1) Sebastopol
    2) All Mountain 29er
    3) 2 Bikes: Hardtail and road
    4) Ever since I started hating walking
    5) Norcal Forum

Specialized Stumpjumper Evo 29er - "Bike 'Til You Barf!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Muadib?

Are you a harry hobbit, or from Arrakeen?
    MikeLee777
    Phoenix, AZ
    AOGWB
    Another Old Guy with a Bike.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    South Carolina rider here. Just getting back into riding after a long long break so I am considering myself a newbie again. ATM I am riding a HT Garry Fisher but I am looking to go to a full suspension bike real soon.

Covert 44
    Jan 2013

Newbie to mtbr

Hi newbie to this forum but riding for many years.
    I am from Mississauga,Ontario- Canada
    Trail ride,all mountain, free ride.dj
    2005 king fisher 2, 2008 specialized p2 cromo, 2011 giant revel, 2013 transition Covert 26
    I do enjoy pink bike forums
    Luv to shred anything with my boys 10&16

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    1.) Where you are from? Edmonton Alberta
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? intermediate to advanced trail rider
    3.) How many bikes you own? 2 at the moment, always looking though. Next I want a fat bikle for the winters
    4.) How long have you been riding? since a child but have been into mountain biking heavily over the last three seasons
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? here I frequent the Passion forum most at the moment, pining for riding so the pictures there are great. Also frequent pinkbike but the more mature attitude here is really nice.

Some more about me, I have entered BC Bike race this year with my wife. I ride a 2012 Trance X1 and we just get her a 2013 Trance X1 29'er. Super excited for her to get it, hopefully it will boost her confidence.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    1.) Southern Ohio
    2.) Intermediate rider
    3.) Own 3 Bikes.
    4.)Used to race BMX when I was a kid. Rode some when in Marine Corps, California.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I live by college park md, smack dab in the middle of the land of the gimmiedats. (new pol party)

I started working on anything I could take apart in the early 40s bikes in 44-46 when delivering newspapers. Never stopped taking crap apart and puting it back together.

I don't care about anyone or anything unless you try to take what I have acquired.

Then there will be a massive conflict.

carry on...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm Adam from Atlanta, GA.

I'm a former weekend warrior that is now a beginner again after a 17 year hiatus from riding.

I have no bike yet, but am picking up a Trek Cobia next weekend or the weekend after.

I rode hard for several years in the mid 90's.

This is the only bike forum that I use (for now), but do frequent several firearms forums.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    USA
    Beginner
    3.) How many bikes you own? 0
    4.) How long have you been riding? since i was 5?
    prolly notebook

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hi Colin here

1.) From Port Elizabeth, South Africa
    2.) Currently a weekend warrior wannabe
    3.) Have 4 bikes in the garage. 2x 29er HT, 1x All Mountain26er converted to a 650b & 1x Road bike
    4.) Been riding for the past 7 years
    5.) Mainly browsing through the Ibis 650b thread and recently the Cannondale thread. I also browse through thehubsa.co.za forum infrequantly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    heyyya everyone

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hello.. I'm from Michigan.. Only a couple years if trail riding under my belt..
    Riding 26in FS.. Looking into buying a 29er. Still milling over Full squish or a slick carbon hardtail..
    I'm 6 feet tall and 215lbs.. Mostly ride singletrack thats more along the xc lines.. Winter has me itching to ride. Hoping for decent weather soon!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

A life of riding

I have been getting back in to riding the past year and find myself on this site more and more. My passion of bikes has been an evolving hobby. I take pride in building bikes just as much as riding.

1.) Where you are from?
    I'm from west Michigan
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself?
    I have decided that I will be entering a few XC races this year however I would not consider myself a competitor. I enjoy riding in events but don't expect to be a contender.
    Personally I have about 3 1/2 bikes. My main mountain bike is a 93' Trek that I keep upgrading. Other bikes range from BMX to cruiser.
    I would say I have been riding for a lifetime. I started racing BMX at a young age and that has evolved into mountain biking.
    I am here almost daily.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Good morning everyone, Hunter here. First time posting, but I've been reading for the past few months.

1.) From the Columbia, MD area. Stationed in NC at this time.
    2.) I'd say at this point I'm getting back into the weekend warrior aspect, hopefully progressing to something a little more after I get back into the groove of things.
    3.) 1 - Just ordered a 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er in Satin Black.
    4.) Started trail riding back in 1998 through 2006ish. Had to take a break due to finishing up school/work/life/etc. Looking forward to starting back up again this Spring.
    5.) This would have to be my most frequented forum, drunkcyclist.com would be another, and twentynineinches.com would round out the top 3.

Currently in Afghanistan, but recently found out about a group of guys that ride some nice loops in the woods during lunch hour. I'll be looking to join as soon as I get back.

Sorry - No photos yet. If you'd like I can post some build pictures as they are emailed to me from the bike shop!

Look forward to gaining some wisdom and all that other good stuff that comes with riding. Thanks for having me!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    good idea

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    1.) Birmingham, AL
    2.) Beginner
    3.) 2010 Trek 3700 and I am building a bike with a Redline D660 Frame
    4.) I have had a mountain bike all of my life, but I am have raced dirtbikes for about he past 12 years. I have raced pro class for about the last 4 years, but due to a lot of injuries in the past couple of years and a 10 month old. It is time to find a new hobby.
    5.) I am on the 29er forum a lot trying to learn about bikes. I am also a member of ktmtalk.com as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Greetings. I'm new to MTBR and just wanted to say hi to everyone out there. I'm from Fairfax, VA and for the most part, stick to XC trail riding and the occasional downhill. Currently on a 26er but like everyone else, considering the jump to something bigger. I've been riding for about 12 years, racing for about 10 and at last count, I'm the proud owner of 6 bikes. Looking forward to learning from and contributing to the forums. Thanks.

Richard

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hi Everybody,
    Just checking in with my first post.
    1) Rock Hill, SC
    2) Definitely a weekend warrior
    3) 09 GF Paragon, Niner RIP 9
    4) Started with Huffys and BMX many yrs ago, mtn biking for ~5years

The RIP is new, I got the black frame recently and buying parts and pieces as my wallet allows. I'm very excited about finishing it soon!
    Bob