Page 5 of 89 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Good Afternoon

John. Southern Calif. 2000 Trek VRX 200. Quit ridding 8 years ago, bike just hung in Garage. Accidently wound up in Moab 3 weeks ago and found SlickRock late one night. I put SlickRock on my Bucket list when I saw the downhill Racing on HD TV many years back. I am going to start Ridding again and prepare for Moab, cause next Year when I show up I'm Gona have my Bike and not have to walk it. I belong to a Several Forums ,teh Paradox, Delphi(Host the GEEZERS MC) there, Many Harley Forums, Motorcyle Touring Forums, FJ TTORA. My Name comes from Good Ole Dad. Enjoy

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi. I'm from central Cal at the base of the Giant Sequoias. New to mtn biking but love it.
    Own a Cannondale Moto 3. It seems to work fine for now. Going back to China Peak Aug
    14 for some DH fun. Who also rides there?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    1.) Currently living in Berea, KY.
    2.) Still a beginner in terms of official MTBing, but growing up on/around farms, I've always had a bike to play around on. Trail-riding and -racing is fast becoming one of my favorite things.
    3.) Three bikes that I ride (MTB, commuter, and one I put a motor on), and anywhere from three to a few thousand others that I use for parts.
    4.) Got my first bike when I was about five or six, but didn't start using a bike for transportation or "actual" riding until about seven years ago.
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? Primitive Archer, ZoomBicycles, Motorbicycling, GotMead.

I have no idea what brand my MTB is: got it second-hand from someone who tried to do a custom paint job and stripped the decals in the process. Sometime or other, I'll post a picture of it somewhere on here to see if anyone can help identify it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Ok, ok I'll quit being a lurker.
    Live and ride around ABQ, NM area. Been riding casually for years now but recently became an addict. I ride an aluminum Blur XC. Enjoy all kinds of trails and the occasional race. The New Mexico forum is my main source of MTB news for my area.
    Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi I'm Brad

I'm from the North Georgia area.
    I have a Santa Cruz Heckler.
    I've been riding for close to ten years, but just in the last five months I have been riding almost everyday.
    I ride mostly single track and I like the more technical trails.
    Never thought I would enjoy riding as much as I do now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Hello

Do I need top-secret clearance, too? My god posting to this forum is a pain in the ass.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    1.) Where you are from? America
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Beginner
    3.) How many bikes you own? One
    4.) How long have you been riding? Technically for 14 years, but some breaks in there.
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites): Not that much.

mtbr member
    Hey there,

Be carefull, you may be considered unpatriotic for those slanderous comments; next thing you know you'll be labeled a terroroist ;-). .......hehehehe..................Sorry I could not resist. hehehehe

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hey there. My name is Jeff. I've been a road rider and triathlete for 5 years. I was a mtb'er in a former life and have decided to start racing xterra. I just bought a new bike after selling my old hardtail. Super excited to get back on the dirt.

I'm from Austin, Tx.
    I have 6 bikes. A couple roadies, a tri bike, a ss, a new mtb., and a vintage cruiser.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Fahzure

Rider: Sending it since the '70's, I ride it all, still learning: table 3's this fall!
    Last count: +20
    Riding since Nixon
    I don't frequent forums

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

New to Off Road

I'm Brad...been a roadie for years but live in one of the best MTB areas in the nation here in the mountains of central MD...and...we have the great C&O canal ride across MD that's just a couple miles from my home...I've tried it all and now want to dip more seriously into some offroad riding to supplement my road riding...

I currently own a Specialized S-Works SL-2 Tarmac road bike & I'm building up a Surly Troll frameset for my offroad needs which will include both harder fitness rides and multi-day treks...

To me...it's all the cheapest form of therapy known to man...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nickname is Lucho. I placed 13th at Ironman Hawaii in 2003. Ran a 2:30 marathon at Denver in 2007 and then 6th at the Leadville 100 run last year. I'm in the Leadville 100 bike next week... lots of reservations about starting in the last corral.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    1.) Bob from Tilburg, the Netherlands
    2.) Beginner biker
    3.) Just the one
    4.) Been riding since fall of 2010
    5.) mountainbike.nl

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My name is Matt. Started racing triathlon in 2007 on a club college team, and started MTB about a year and a half ago. Hoping to start doing more off-road racing (tri and MTB).

1.) Where you are from? Originally southern California, then Lake Havasu, now in Tucson (since 1998)
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? triathlete, trail and XC rider, soon-to-be racer
    3.) How many bikes you own? 3-Felt 9 Race HT, Scott Addict roadie, Cervelo P2C tri bike.
    4.) How long have you been riding? 2007, MTB since April 2010
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? New here...mostly slowtwitch I guess. Good for entertainment value...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Hello from Alaska

I'm new and love to ride in Alaska. My main ride is an 09 cannondale moto 4. I like to freeride all of Alaska.

great to see this forum and look forward to learning.

Paul

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Now, I'm officially active...

1.) Where you are from?
    Pittsburgh, PA

2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself?
    Improving weekend trail/single track warrior

3.) How many bikes you own?

4.) How long have you been riding?
    Almost my whole life, on and off, but consistently for a few years

5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites)
    n/a

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    1.) Where you are from? Portland Oregon
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Beginner
    3.) How many bikes you own? Giant-Talon 29er
    4.) How long have you been riding? Well I've had real shitty bikes for a long time. So only a few weeks I guess.
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? This one and FOH Guild Message Board

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

new

From pa beginner one bike its nothin special don't know what to do from here and jus starting ridding

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

New from socal

Hey my names Dan. I love riding trails and road. Both my bikes were stolen yesterday. Iron horse maverick team and fugi road bike Newest 3.0

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Hello from Maryland

1.) Where you are from? Born in Wisconsin, grew up in Vermont, now living in Baltimore, Maryland
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Casual, trail, trying to get back out there after more than ten years.
    3.) How many bikes you own? 1 - Offroad Pro-Am, bought at Essex Junction Bicycles, Essex Junction, VT around 1992.
    4.) How long have you been riding? MTB since 1992
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? New here

mtbr member
    1.) Jake, 24 years old from Louisville, KY
    2.) Kind of a beginner, XC mostly with some all mountain
    3.) One. A 2009 Trek Fuel EX 5.5
    4.) Since 2008
    5.) All kinds

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

New on the forum

I'm getting obstinant in my old age. I almost decided to answer these 5 questions in 5 separate posts so I could start a couple threads I'm interested in getting some reader feedback on, but decided to play by the rules.

I Live in Marin
    I ride like I've been there dun that, jus don't bounce like I used to!
    I own 3 bikes, old school EVO's
    I've been Mountain Biking since 95
    I Like to wrench and build
    I Frequent Old School Hot Rod Forums most

Ride like there's no tomorrow, and if there is; so you still have some ride left in you!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    1.) Where you are from? Black Hills, SD
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? All Mountain, Like endurance riding, racing
    3.) How many bikes you own? 3- GF Hifi Carbon Pro, Trek Hardtail, GF Roadie
    4.) How long have you been riding? MTB since 2002 active
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? Mostly just like to read but starting to have more questions that I need help with

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hey guys, name is Matt, from Oklahoma...yes its pretty flat here but from the little research I've done I should find some places to shred.

Always had a bike untill I got a car then stopped riding them. Was more a bmx rider. Had a Dyno that was way too heavy. Now I have the urge to get back on a bike and I have always been interested in downhill mtb.

Been looking around at some used bikes so I'm looking forward to getting some feedback, and from the looks of it this forum is pretty active. Am a member of many car forums, mostly Honda/Import but not too active on them now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rvrrdr View Post
    My name is Matt. Started racing triathlon in 2007 on a club college team, and started MTB about a year and a half ago. Hoping to start doing more off-road racing (tri and MTB).

1.) Where you are from? Originally southern California, then Lake Havasu, now in Tucson (since 1998)
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? triathlete, trail and XC rider, soon-to-be racer
    3.) How many bikes you own? 3-Felt 9 Race HT, Scott Addict roadie, Cervelo P2C tri bike.
    4.) How long have you been riding? 2007, MTB since April 2010
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? New here...mostly slowtwitch I guess. Good for entertainment value...

I bet living around Lake Havasu was fun? Heard that place is the American version of Cancun on a lake.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    hello my name is paul new to the forum just thought id say hello

1)Where are you from ? leicester uk
    2)What kind of rider do you consider yourself? xc & trails just learning
    3)How many bikes you own ? just 1 im affraid a gt avalanche 1.0 no idea what year but its far from the original bike now.
    4)How long have you been riding? since winter 2010
    5)What forums do you frequent most? none really i just look when i need to find stuff out

mtbr member

Hi Everyone,

My name is Mike, I'm 25 and new to the forum (and to mountain biking).

1) I live in Avondale, Arizona
    2.) I'm a beginner rider, but due to my skateboarding background I have all the guts just none of the skill, yet.
    3.) 1 Bike. I just bought a Specialized Rockhopper
    4.) 2 weeks
    5.) Just started looking at the AZ forums on this website.

My brother and dad got me interested in this crazy sport and I can't get enough so far despite some nasty crashes from going big!

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I guess this is the best place to get started...

1) I am Texas born and raised...
    2) I ride mostly pavement and light XC...
    3) I've gone from 1 to 6 bikes in the past 4 months...
    4) Bought my first MTB 4 months ago...
    5) Hang out mostly in the General forum right now...I'm like a sponge.

My first bike purchase was used and purely spontaneous. My wife was willing to try it out so we got her's from a LBS because she is an XS. Long story short I bought a couple more bikes and now my wife, daughter and son (both teens) ride 2-3 times a week. We are hooked.

Bummer...just saw that I can't post pics until after 10-posts...I'll come back and put some up when I've reached my mark.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi,

1. Malvern, PA
    2. Beginner. Last time I had a bike was about 24 years ago.
    3. Will be 1. I just got a go from wife so will be getting 2012 Hardrock Disc on my next payday which will be 15th of this month.
    4. Can't remember. It's been too long ago last time I did.
    5. I'll have to see still as I'm just about to start.

Well, 4 more to go before I start asking noob questions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    1) I'm from the Metro Vancouver area in BC, Canada
    2) I'm more of an opportunist. I ride mostly around the city to do errands, but if i can find a quick trail or something to get where I'm going, even if it is a bit longer, I'll take it
    3) One, due to the life of a poor university student....
    4) I've been trail riding ever since I went camping when I was young, about 10 years old. My first true trail was the perimeter trail around Shuswap Lake Park, and I still like going for speed runs with my cousins on it when I'm there. Started out as 30mins to complete a full run and now I've narrowed it down to around 5-10 mins
    5) To be honest, this is my first true mountain bike forums here.

mtbr member
    Helloooo...Cyber-Peeps. Before I hit the bullet points...This site is my fave for reviews. There's alot
    of educated opinions that come through here! I've made many part buying decisions based on what
    the site users recommend. Thanks for offering what is hands down the most comprehensive MTB
    info gathering site on the web!

Still rock'n my old Fisher

Please allow me to add another topic, What bike do you regret selling!

1) From? Pittsburgh PA
    2) Rider type? Trail and Recreational
    3) # of Bikes? 2 + a Monkey frame awaiting some parts
    4) Riding since? 1996
    5) Other forums? Dirt-Rag and Stickbow.com
    6) Regretable sale? Jamis Dakar Team frame w/a butt-load of cool parts for a meager $400.
    (I needed the money and was glad that an avid rider from MI got a sweet deal)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-hoo-koo-e-koo.jpg  

Last edited by Badassbassangler; 08-02-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: adding pic
    Only if I got paid to hang out in my garage and tweak on my bikes...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Wink Why I joined the forum

Hi to everyone,
    My name is Warren.
    I live in Yukon OK.
    I use my Bike(s) to run errands around town, relax and cruise the neighborhoods,looking at houses for sale and to get landscaping ideas for my own home.
    I started riding at 7 years young on a 24 inch Montgomery Ward bike. After world war 2 I got a 26 inch bike for my birthday from the Firestone store.

The big reason I joined this forum is that in the process of trying to find a picture of parts breakdown for my suntour thumbshifter on my 1974 schwinn suburban, I ran across your forum and noted all the great comments about thumbshifters and suntour in general. I took my shifter apart to replace the cable, had all the parts laid in a container in the order they came out, and accidentally dumped the container.
    I was hoping someone in the forum could tell me how this thing goes back together. I have it back together, but I know it is not right because it doesn't work like it did.
    You can contact me at my email address instead of boring the rest of the forum members with the information. I appreciate any help you can give me. email address (1wideguagerr@cox.net
    Respectfully,
    Warren

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Charlie from WV. Riding XC several days a week. starting to get a lot more aggresive on downhills and looking to move on to FS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    1.) I'm Joe from Atlanta, GA
    2.) Beginner Rider, I don't count my college days of getting to class as experience.
    3.) I have my old college ride and my new Cannondale SL4 ride.
    4.) I've been riding since i was a little kid, but for real maybe since freshman year of college.
    5.) Slickdeals.net, Wrxatlanta.com, and fatwallet.com. I like my bargain shopping.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi fellow cycle enthusiasts!

I live in Golden CO
    First and foremost, I consider myself a roadie junkie; secondly, a never-improving mountain bike rider who just adds to my on-going collection of cuts, scrapes and bruises
    I own an old Gary Fisher MB, a Trek 2200 Road bike (soon to be replaced by a brand new Parlee Z5 which I won)!!! Thirdly, if this counts, I also own a motorized scooter, which only runs when it feels like it....tempermental SOB!
    Been riding MB's far longer than you'd think by my poor handling skills. Road riding since 2002.
    First-time forum for me

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    let's see...SLC by way of AZ.

bikes? Any and all...singlespeed, hardtail 29er, road and cross, etc.

I don't have a preference for riding...I just like to ride bikes.

Riding bikes since I was a kid - Love MTBR, just never really posted and now I finally have some legit questions so I figured I would ante up. Great reviews here, great info.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Heyo Everyone!

Hey Everybody.

I'm relatively new to the mountain biking community. For a year or so i had only been going on trail rides once a month, however i have more recently gotten more involved in my local MTB community here in Alpharetta, GA.

Currently, i have been riding for two years, and ride a Felt Q520.

Nice to meet everyone!
    Last edited by jacobhdylan; 08-03-2011 at 08:18 PM.

mtbr member

Meesta Chow just needa a little bump

1.) West Chester, PA

2.) Beginner

3.) 0. Hoping to buy in a week. Looking for a 29er.

4.) Tried mountain biking through Boy Scouts 4 or 5 years ago. Never had the cabbage to throw down on a MTB until now.

5.) This is the only forum I am registered with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

New

Hey im new here just wanted to say hi

1.) From Orchard Park,Ny
    2.) I used to ride alot a few years ago stopped for awhile and now just getting back into riding
    3.) I own 1 bike i just bought it its a Mongoose Deception
    4.) Probably about 5 years in total
    5.) this is my 1st biking forum

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Bozeman, MT
    Getting back into riding
    own 1 bike, second bike on it's way
    first year back after 20 years
    1st forum

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Guys, im Scott, i come from Scotland (funny huh? :P ) ive got a cube reaction pro 18" frame which i built using my 2009 cube reaction pro 20" , plenty upgraded/aftermarket parts. Ive also just recently bought a Marin Wolfridge 6.8, took it to the local trail centre and its a bit of an animal, its the first full susser ive owned.
    Ive been riding bikes all my life (badly) but have only really started propperly with the trails and going out 2 /3 times a week locally since 2010, its all good so far.

cheers
    scott

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

New user

1.) Where you are from? => Finland
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? => Difficult trails are close to my heart.
    3.) How many bikes you own? => Just one, 2010 Rocky Mountain Altitude 90 RSL
    4.) How long have you been riding? => 6 years
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? Rocky Mountain, 29er

mtbr member
    Stubbled across MTBR by searching for reviews to research a new mountain bike I plan to get pretty soon.

1.) Where you are from? Originally from New Hampshire but now live in Arizona
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Guess I'm somewhere in the middle between expert and training wheels. Tried just about anything on two wheels(with or without a motor)
    3.) How many bikes you own? Currently nothing with pedals, hope to change that really soon.
    4.) How long have you been riding? Many moons. Looking to get back into mountain bikes after about 7 or so years.
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? Mainly frequent quite a few motorcycle forums as motorcycles are one of my true passions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    1.) Where you are from? Hi! I'm Jake from north western PA
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? beginner/weekend warrior
    3.) How many bikes you own? 1
    4.) How long have you been riding? Beat up a lot of Kmart specials growing up....then took a 15 year hiatus from anything biking when I got my drivers license! Just started riding again this spring.
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? HuntingPA mostly

I just started riding again, mostly for fitness. I like to hit the singletracks and pick my way through roots and rock gardens the most. I've always loved the outdoors and spend a good portion of my free time hunting, fishing, hiking and now MTBing. I don't have the best bike(BD - Dawes Haymaker 1500), but it's working fine and it's far and away the best bike I've ever owned. I'm mechanically inclined and enjoy working on stuff so I'm learning all I can about bikes and doing most of my own work too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by R3demption View Post
    I bet living around Lake Havasu was fun? Heard that place is the American version of Cancun on a lake.
    Something like that. Very quiet during the week (everything closes at 9 pm), and crazy on the weekends during the summer. Winter is busy with "winter visitors". Was always more athlete than party animal though. Freaking hot in the summer (regularly 110+), usually windy, and the whole town is on a hill. Didn't bother me much as a kid, but don't know if I could go back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Bd

Has anyone else had difficulty dealing with Bikes Direct? I have e-mailed them for the 3rd and last time and can't believe how unprofessional they were. I inquired about the Motobecane 29er pro which they are out of. All I wanted to know is when they anticipated getting a new shipment of sizes I'm looking for a 19". This company could care less about getting back to me whether it be by phone or e-mail. I'm glad I did not do business with them what if I had problems they won't communicate with you. Since I can't afford the bike I would like at my lbs does anyone have suggestions of a reputable online site to do business with?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

New rider kinda.

My Name Is Mark
    1.) Where you are from? Manchester NH
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Used to ride alot. But had to sell my trek.
    3.) How many bikes you own? I own a free old giant yukon. Saving for a SS 29er
    4.) How long have you been riding? I have been riding road, Mountain biking on and off for ten years
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? Just this one at the moment.

I will post a Picture of my new bike in a month or so.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Hello mtbr.com

Hello...

1.) I am from Calgary, AB Canada
    2.) I love AM riding but also ride road, XC, and DH
    3.) I currently own six bikes (yikes!)
    4.) I have been riding almost as long as I have been walking
    5.) Other than here I also frequent bikeforums.net

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Hello

1) Stillwater, OK
    2) Complete N00b/WW
    3) Just one
    4) Used to ride some as a teenager, haven't ridden a bike in quite some time
    5) Just this forum really

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

checking in

Breckenridge, CO
    Been riding off and on since the 70s; getting back into it with my son and son-in-law.
    I've got a Klein Attitude and a Felt cruiser, and I just bought a Motobecane FS 29er.
    I'm new to the forums, so I'll be looking around.

mtbr member
    Jase
    From Tucson Az.
    Ride mainly sky island mountain/desert trail/commuting, or wherever there's a trail.
    Been riding for over 20 yrs.
    Just picked up a Rocky Mountain Vertex 29er.
    Still trying to get used to the 29 "feel", and the new technologies around every corner! Lighter-Stronger-Faster.
    Looking forward to learning more and making contacts!

mtbr member
    Rochester NH
    Ride XC, a little road and tight trails
    Been riding off and on since 1996.
    Unfortunately I ride a Schwinn Impact bought in 1996
    Only bike forum I belong to.

I just broke my second brake cable this week - that was a scary ride down! I really need a new bike so I think I may jump into something new tomorrow.

Dirt Lurker
    May 2011
    Charlie from Lewisville , N.C , not sure what kind of rider.1 epic comp.38 years riding,this forum is the only one. Kwrides looks like they got it Goin On.

aan
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    sorry for the double post -

hi all-

1.) Midwest - IL/MO
    2.) Beginner
    3.) Just one, an older Trek 1900 right now
    4.) Officially since I was about 5, but I'm just now looking at getting serious about riding after doing some biking in Colorado (Vail, Breckenridge, Beaver Creek, Frisco, etc). It was a blast and I'm looking to get more into it.
    5.) I'm new to mtbr, and this is also the only site I've really been stalking for awhile now.

aan
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Also, can anybody recommend a website that breaks down bike component quality? It's been about 7 years since I looked for a new bike, and all the components are drastically different, I have no clue what is now considered a great shifter set or front fork vs. crap quality. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hey folks, checkin in from East Texas....Tyler to be exact.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Oh sorry,

1.) Tyler, Texas
    2.) Trails
    3.) Been riding on/off last 15 years, mostly off. LOL
    4.) no bike at the moment, gona build up a rigid 26er
    5.) no other forums, been stalking here on/off for years

mtbr member
    1.) Michigan
    2.) Beginner - XC
    3.) 1 Bike - 2010 Jamis Dakar XC (purchased 2 days ago of CL!)
    4.) Just starting - did years of mild bmx before i could drive
    5.) Pretty much just here and silverfishlongboarding.com - previously my only major hobby.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    1.) Eastern PA
    2.) Beginner
    3.) Looking for my first
    4.) A few years
    5.) Cmputer/Powerlifting forums

My first post, I'm trying to get 5 posts so I can post a new thread in the beginner section, but all the forums are bike oriented. Since I know nothing about them yet, I can't really post anything without hijacking current threads

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

WHAT TO BUY ? kona or commencal ?

Hi guys,

Having spent a few years out of the biking circuit I've decided to make my return.

Just been looking at a few second hand bikes.

I have the choice of a commencal absoult 2 ( the purple one 2008 ) for 370 Euros.

Or

Kona Bass 2009, which seems to have a cassette on the back wheel but is set up for a single ride so would need to buy gears etc... 450 Euros

Looking to ride something todo abit of all sorts on, few jumps / drops and even the odd bit of easy freeride

Thanks for the help.

I'm going to see the bike tomorrow,

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

hello

test

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Origionaly from Santa Cruz I used to spend most of my weekends and evenings riding all mountain trails then moved to Switzerland and stopped riding. I've been renting bikes over the summer trying XC, AM and DH bikes and so many things have changed a lot since then! In my area there are the alps with so many possibilities of trails to choose from but now I can confidently say I'm more of a AM rider and when feeling a bit crazy try some of the DH tracks. I came to this forum to catch up on everything thats new!

1.) Santa Cruz, CA but living in Switzerland for the last 12 years
    2.) Starting to AM rider in Europe.
    3.) 1996 Specialized Stuntjumper and 1998 Specialized Fatboy
    4.) 3-4 years and now starting to ride again
    5.) thepub.ch, honda-tech.com, now this one

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Yo

1. From Des Moines, Iowa, living in Norfolk, Virginia for 5 years now.
    2. I mostly ride XC and enjoy messing around FR
    3. I have 2 mountain bikes, looking to get another roadster.
    4. I started riding road in 2002, got into mountain biking in 2007. Triathlons in 2009.
    5. I collect hobbies so Iím just all over.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hi there!
    1) Shane from Belton, Mo
    2) Good all around rider but looking forward to hitting the trails more often.
    3) 2 bikes, an older giant and a 2010 spec hardrock sport disc 29er.
    4) Riding for fun off and on as long as I can remember.
    5)Mtbr (Spec and 29er) , I check it everyday but this is my first post. My main hobby is Competition BBQ and I frequent the bbq-brethren forum.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    1.) Houston, TX. It's freaking hot right now.
    2.) A weekend warrior, trail-rider, semi-n00b.
    3.) Just one. A Fezzari Solitude XT
    4.) I've been riding a few years now.
    5.) entensity.net and here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-265779_10100132451428446_37511700_44414818_6672146_o.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-download.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
    test
    Do not use this thread for testing. There is an entire "test" forum located at the bottom of the forum list. Test there.

And any further such "tests" will be considered post count padding and will be removed and you will receive an infraction.
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

Mtbr YouTube Channel

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Introduction

1.) Where you are from?
    Denver, CO
    Mtn/trail rider initially, but latley my nobby tires have only seen paved trails.
    I have 2 Trek Singletrack's, an 820, and a 930
    Seriously 1995-2001 and starting again this year (Feb 2011) I do miss my old Mongoose Alta, its too bad they sold out to make Wal-Mart style bikes.
    5.) What forums do you frequent most?
    I haven't done the forum thing in a while but i use to be a fan of mtgsalvation.com and brikwars.com

Sad I was going to upload pictures but there to big.
    Even worse I can't post links or images anyway until I have a post count of ten. You guys realize this policy encourages trolling, right?

~Erick
    Last edited by EULA; 08-04-2011 at 03:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EULA View Post
    ...Sad I was going to upload pictures but there to big.
    Even worse I can't post links or images anyway until I have a post count of ten. You guys realize this policy encourages trolling, right?

~Erick
    Let me just take a moment to reiterate that the single, biggest reason we are enforcing the post count limit for new users is to battle spammers. And it is a proven deterrent, hands down.

Second, replying to others threads is a good way to "get your feet wet" and really, not that hard to do it legitimately. Do some "troll" and post count pad? Sure, if they are in a hurry and/or lazy. But these practices will be deleted on sight by moderators. Many other users have no problems following these guidelines.

Not meant to single you out, Erick, just want to set the record straight as to why we incorporate these settings in our forums here.

-g
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

Mtbr YouTube Channel

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Chicagoan saying hello!

Please respond with:

1.) Chicago now, Ohio/W.Virginia area growing up tearing up BMX bikes.
    2.) Weekend Warrior
    3.) 2 and growing
    4.) Before I was able to walk
    5.) Team Estrogen Forums

I also love hiking challenging terrains.

I'll post a pic of my new bike that I'm buying myself tomorrow for my birthday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Chicagoan saying hello!

1.) Chicago now, Ohio/W.Virginia area growing up tearing up BMX bikes.
    2.) Weekend Warrior
    3.) 2 and growing - I have a city bike - Trek 7300 & a Mtn Trek 4500 currently. I may be getting a Rockhopper or a Trek 6000 tomorrow.
    4.) Before I was able to walk
    5.) Team Estrogen Forums

I also love hiking challenging terrains.

I'll post a pic of my new bike that I'm buying myself tomorrow for my birthday.
    Last edited by Chicago Ryder; 08-04-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: addition to amount of bikes

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am from Huntington Beach, CA
    Been riding for 4 years.
    Got my first SS 29er in April, and I love it.
    Also have an '08 SW Stumpy FSR. Have not ridden it since April.
    I like the SS and the Specialized forums here.
    Lots of good info.

Eroding into the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by cartterb View Post
    Have been using MTBR for ages but have never posted and just walked into my garage and found out that my two beloved bikes (a year old Ellsworth Epiphany and 3 year old Specialized tarmac) were stolen. Would love any suggestions on trying to recover them. We have a great community of riders in norcal and I am a faithful rider of tamarancho and tahoe but I need 5 posts to be able to post this there. The Ellsworth is unique because of the red anodized parts and I have included a picture below. I am going to check Craigslist constantly but would love any feedback or ideas that you might have!

Sucks that your bikes were stolen.
    Register your bike here (w/pics)
    http://www.stolenbicycleregistry.com/register.php
    Post in other cities/snoop around craigslist in other cities also.

Hope you are lucky in getting your bikes back.

mtbr member
    Hello everyone, I'm new to this wonderful site with to much info to absorb. I'm from SoCal you guys have noted. Been out of the game for over 20 years, looking to get back in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Nab from Sweden

1. Erik from Karlstad, Sweden.

2. Trail

3. 4: 1990ish Miata (think the frame is all that is stock) "slightly used...", 2004 KHS Dirty Buster, 2010 Trek 4500, 2011 Specialized Camber comp.

4. Rode the cr@p out of the Miata between ~90-98, had a break due to outgrowing the bike. The urge hit me again to buy a bike in 2004... ended up with a KHS bmx, rode that for ~2 years, wasnt really for me, spent most time with my face planted on the sidewalk riding that. 2011 new urge... Bought a Trek 4500 on a sale at the LBS, rode that for little over a month then decided to buy the Specialized Camber.

Love my new camber even tho the "problems" im having with it, the fork just about fit the Conti RQ 2.4, having ~3-5mm clerance. But when i stand up and mash the pedals the fork flexes so much that the tire rubs the fork on the left(brake) side... I just need to grind away ~1-2mm on the left side of the "U" section of the fork... can't weaken it that much right...

5. This forum is all that i need for my bike addiction...

Excuse my poor attempt on the english language...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Hi

1.) Where you are from?

Massachusetts

Mostly trail/AMish

Only 1, currently

Since I was a kid with my first BMX

NEMBA and some other fishing forums occasionally

Bike Attack Mechanic
    Jul 2011
    Hello All!

1.Panorama City, CA/ Santa Monica, Ca
    2.Weekend Warrior
    3.2 Fully custom Cannondale F7 and a Fly bikes Diablo BMX bike.
    4.I been riding bmx since 2003, just recently got into MTB.
    5. clubroadster.net

My name is Marcos and I am a bicycle technician at Bike Attack Santa Monica. I am in charged of the service department since June. I just recently got into MTB and I haven't been able to turn away. Look forward to meeting some new people to ride with, so if your in the area come by the shop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrende View Post
    Hello All!

1.Panorama City, CA/ Santa Monica, Ca
    2.Weekend Warrior
    3.2 Fully custom Cannondale F7 and a Fly bikes Diablo BMX bike.
    4.I been riding bmx since 2003, just recently got into MTB.
    5. clubroadster.net

My name is Marcos and I am a bicycle technician at Bike Attack Santa Monica. I am in charged of the service department since June. I just recently got into MTB and I haven't been able to turn away. Look forward to meeting some new people to ride with, so if your in the area come by the shop.
    Hey Marcos what do you mean by weekend warrior. National Guard
    Last edited by Hkp2000; 08-05-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Bike Attack Mechanic
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hkp2000 View Post
    Hey Marcos what do you mean by weekend warrior. National Guard
    Trying to Start in a few small local races in the near future. But mainly just trail riding with friends/co-workers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    1.) Where you are from?
    I live in Little Rock, AR and from what I've seen/experienced, it's very bicycle friendly lol.
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...)
    I'm a beginner who's really interested in trail riding, climbing, and some downhill. I ride the average trails around Little Rock.
    I just bought my first bike today, so you'll see me posting in a bunch of threads asking for tips/advice. Before today I was riding my mom's small, old, all-rigid woman's bike. It's SO much different from my 2012 Hard Tail 29er Cobia. Obviously I'm very pleased with my purchase haha.
    I've been riding for around 2 months. I'm a straight newbie. I ride with my friend who got me into biking, so I know a few of the important basics, such as not pulling the brakes (hydraulic disc) when the front wheel is off, lubing the chain, safety, basic tips like that. Speaking of which, once I get my 5 forum posts, I will be asking in a new thread about removing the front wheel and how to adjust it so it doesn't rub.
    This one so far, I am completely overwhelmed/anxious..

Just Ride
    Hello all!

I'm a beginner at mountain biking. But I grew up on bikes. Messed around a lot with BMX when I was younger 8 - 16 or so. Then I had a mtb for transportation mostly. Still jumped occasionally. Till I was about 19, at which point I just stopped riding bicycles all together. I'm now 31 soon to be 32 and just 2 weeks ago bought a bike again for the first time in over a decade. It's true, you never forget how to ride. Though the first day or so was sketchy.

My fiance and I decided to get into mountain biking after talking with her brother in law at a wedding. She...not so coordinated, but it's been like 20 years since she's ridden. So we ride the paved trails at a local state park. Till she gets comfortable on the bike. I've ridden some mtb trails at another park close by with my soon to be brother in law, who's been doing it for a few years now. The fiance just doesn't feel in control of her bike well enough to ride the mtb trails. It is an exercise in patients to be sure. I don't care for the paved stuff. I find it rather boring. But my god the mtb trails are a blast!

We just picked up a couple wal-mart cheepies for the time being. Both full suspension, power robbing pieces of ****! As our budget is very limited due to saving for the wedding. We plan to upgrade after the wedding. Tax time 2013. But I have plans to purchase a cheap 29er ($300ish) to try it out. Come February of next year or so. I know, I know, don't waste your money. For one thing, I'm pretty sure my $100 full suspension bike will be a pile of scrap metal before then, and besides I don't want to spend thousands just to find out I don't like 29ers.

Dunno if I'll post much, as I don't know much about this activity/sport. I do know that I'm pretty well addicted already and I don't even have my own helmet yet! Still borrowing one...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

New from Murrieta CA

Hi all! I am new and am I guess whay is called a super Clydsdale! :P pretty funny as sometimes I feel like a horse clip clopping around. Just got back into riding with my wife and kids. Bought a Diamonback Wildwood Citi Classic... I'm taking it back tomorrow as I am already seeing some wear in the rear hub. Anyway, hope to lean lots and maybe figure out what is a good affordable entry ride for me.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Kicking it in the Northeast

What up sukkas?

Name's Anthony and I live in Massachusetts. I hit the trails wit a Jamis XAM, hit the mountain on a Sinister R9, hit the XC races on a Specialized Epic, hit the dirt jumps/parks on a Sinister DNA, and mack the rail trails on a fleet of old skool Proflex's.

I ride with the Slaphead Mofo Leisure Team and rep Sinister Bikes, Sunday River Bike Park, and Wachusett Brewery.

Been a lurker on MTBR for years and figga'd I better post up and introduce my a$$.

Stand-up philosopher
    hi... will that annoying message go away now that says i've never posted?

I live near nashville and have been mountain biking for around 6 months.

8)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    1.) Where you are from? (as specific as you care to share)
    Buffalo, NY

2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...)
    Trail rider

0 - looking for advice on a cheap first bike

Since 2008 - I've always borrowed friends' bikes

airsoftforum.com

mtbr member
    Terve! (means Hi! -pretty obvious)
    I'm 32 years old old man from Tampere, Finland.

I've been reading this forum for about a week or so. It's awesome! It's nice to read about things in U.S or Canada or Australia etc. I'm allways looking forward to travel new countries and regions. Haven't been in America yet, but I spent 6 months in Australia about 6 years ago -love it, can't wait to go back there. But I guess Canada is my next destination outside Europe.

That's about off topic material
    I've been riding bicycle for about 30 years. Never too seriously. First single speed bike, then coupple of 6-7 speed bikes. Then I moved to city and kind of forgot cycling for about 7 years -didn't even own a bike. Just riding sometimes with my girlfriends bike.
    Then, about 4years ago, I had my son. I realized, I need to take care about my condition (kids are demanding, but the best thing in my life). I started to cycle to work. I bought a Felt hybrid/cross bike. It was pretty good but after coupple of years I wanted something better. I put my money to cyclocross bike, Focus Mares to be exact. I really love it - it's fast, it's fun, it's perfect for my daily commuting. Exept for winter when it's snowing so hard that they can't keep the roads plowed.

So I purchased a single speed 29er, after reading so much good reviews about that kind of bike as a winter/snow bike. I haven't got it yet, I ordered it two days ago and have to wait it about two weeks. But I guess Karate Monkey is worth to wait

I really am going to do some mountainbiking as well when I have enough time. Now the kids, two of them, are going to take my freetime -and ice hockey of course. Then I propably find the last piece of my life.

Thanks for reading, sorry about the spelling mistakes - I'm lazy to use translator I guess my text is understandable.

Cheers, Possu (piggy)
    Last edited by Possu; 08-06-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    1.) I am from southwest Kentucky, but I'm currently stationed at Kunsan AB, South Korea
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Use to race Cross country but now I'm looking for All mountain or Free ride.
    3.) How many bikes you own? As of now none, I joined the forums to ask for advice on a few bikes or where to find a AM/Free ride bike for round 2 grand
    4.) How long have you been riding? Mostly before I joined the Air Force, bout 6 years.
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? This place is poppin my cherry!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    im a noob. Wenatchee Washington.

Going to become a 29er trail/mountain . Looking for a bike under 1k though. Any suggestions? Im considering a Cannondale Trail SL 29er 4 (green) Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Eric W
    Dallas NC
    just got a Motobecane Fantom Pro after not riding for more than 10 years
    it's my only bike right now
    rode BMX way back when I was young
    TarheelTrailBlazers.com MTBR.com RCCrawler.com

This is my first post here

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Hi ... New here

I'm Mike in Raleigh, NC. I consider myself a Novice though I have had mountain bikes for last 10 years, but never lived in a place with trails. I'm in Raleigh NC and there are an abundance of trails and I'm a couple of hours closer to the NC mountains than I was before. I'm looking forward to getting more involved in the local mtb scene. I'm also interested in giving adventure racing a try

mtbr member
    Hello. My name is Randall, and I'm a santa monica moutain range lifer, currently off mulholland right in between backbone, Malibu canyon/ bulldog and the chesboro/suicide trailheads. Love em all, but backbone is my favorite by far. I'm on my girlfriends iPad so no photos, I'll upload some later from my laptop. Here are my suggested addages .
    1.) Agoura/thousand oaks CA area
    2.) All mountain/XC, anything that caters to a moto style ride
    3.) I got a 2008 enduro sl and a P3
    4.) iv been riding for years, starting with bmx as a kid , did hard tail MTb in the early 2000s, started getting serious on my specialized pitch in 2009. (still working on getting serious)
    5.) I mostly find myself in the tech type forums for suspension and setup info

I love to make action videos and I'm looking for some local all mountain/ XC guys who want to make the local trails look good. I mostly ride with a couple buddies of mine, my 51 year old dad and my 21 year old little brother who is an absolute beast on the trail.
    Is it thread jacking to post a link to one of my vies here? Hope it's cool. Oh I guess not

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Howdy.
    1) Scot from FL.
    2) Re-beginner. I mostly use bikes for commuting and recreational riding.
    3) Mid-80's Schwinn Traveler set up for everyday use, mid-90's Schwinn Frontier, and I'm scouring CL for a decent hardtail.
    4) I never stopped riding, but did stop riding trails in high school (<10 years ago) and want to get back into it.
    5) I first found this place by checking reviews. Good stuff you have going on here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hey all
    -Steve from D.C. area
    -Mostly Mountain and when i get a new bike i will use it to commute also
    -Giant Warp DS 3, researching and shopping around for something new
    -Haven't been riding in quite some time. Just a few days here and there. hoping to change that
    -When you search for bike reviews on google, this is the site that pops up and it looks like a keeper

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hey tonyhuynh28, How do you like that Fezzari? I am looking into purchasing new bikes and i cant keep my eye off of the ninety9ninety. You happy with the solitude and fezzari as company?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    1.) Where you are from?

I live in the Bossier City/Shreveport area in northwest Louisiana.

Definitely beginner... mostly road to XC... primarily trying to shrink and strengthen before I worry too much about "real" off-road stuff.

Just one bike right now... It's a Diamondback Response Sport frame circa. 2000 stripped and built back up with decent components... XT, XTR, Raceface, Selle Italia, Easton, Thomson, Salsa, pieces and parts... Changing wheelset/tires right now.

Started seriously in 2000. Rode for a couple of years, but things get in the way. Started riding again July 2011, mostly to lose weight, but I've caught the bug again... When I get back down to a non-dangerous weight/heart rate et al., I plan to start riding local trails in LA and AR.

This is my main reference and forums site... I registered back in 2000, but my record and post count seem to have been dumped...

Bike looks almost identical to the following image from July 2000:

Oops... says I have to have 10 posts to include images... oh well... you can see my bike if you really want to at www{.}montac.net/old/mtb

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    1.) NJ
    2.) Old Pro
    3.) 12
    4.) Since 1992
    5.) BMX

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Just wanted to introduce myself..

My Name is Aaron go by AJ13 on here and softballfans forum.

From Northeastern IN

Just getting back into riding (on a regular basis) and trying to decide which bike to get. I plan on riding trails, with my kids and maybe with the wife on occasion.

Looking at Specialized Sport 29er Disc and Cannondale SL4 29er..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    1.) Where you are from? (as specific as you care to share)
    Northern California
    Newbie DH/FR
    1.Kona Coiler
    Just started seriously riding last month. Casually for years.
    DH/FR

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Im Brian new to the site. I have been having a lot of issues with my gears figured on come on here in search of some advise.

1.) Im from Westchester County New York
    2.) Im a intermediate beginner my second season riding
    3.) Only have one Specialized Hardrock

don't utter a single word
    Aug 2011
    1.) Where you are from? (as specific as you care to share) <b>So Cal</b>
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...) <b>beginner mtn/trail</b>
    3.) How many bikes you own? <b>one, Trek 4300</b>
    4.) How long have you been riding? <b>Just started</b>
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites) <b>this one is the only mtn biking forum I go on</b>

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Hello

My name is Joe
    I've been riding, seriously, for 3 years.
    I own 1 bike (Rockhopper Comp Disk).

I'm hoping to gain some knowledge from these forums.

Page 5 of 89 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast