mtbr member

New Thudbuster model coming out

I just mentioned this in another thread, but I'll give it its own headline. I spoke to Cane Creek about a recall post last week and they said they're coming out with a brand-new Thudbuster model in a couple of weeks. Completely rebuildable, including bushing, and infinite tilt adjustment for the saddle. I'm holding out till the new one's out cuz I can use my recall post as a trade-in and get a new one for $45. Who knows what the MSRP will be. For sure, the market on the older posts will drop, but the new model will probably be up around $150 again. That's probably the reason we've seen so many placing discounting the Thud lately.
    A man is only a man, but a good bicycle is a ride.

blame me for missed rides
    yeah, balant rip-off of moxey seatpost. a few years ago they started a law suit with moxey knowing the small guy doesn't have the resource to finish it, so moxey ended up being bought by cane creek. corporate f***heads.

mtbr member

Is it the "old" recall or a recent one?

Quote Originally Posted by bhutata
    I just mentioned this in another thread, but I'll give it its own headline. I spoke to Cane Creek about a recall post last week and they said they're coming out with a brand-new Thudbuster model in a couple of weeks. Completely rebuildable, including bushing, and infinite tilt adjustment for the saddle. I'm holding out till the new one's out cuz I can use my recall post as a trade-in and get a new one for $45. Who knows what the MSRP will be. For sure, the market on the older posts will drop, but the new model will probably be up around $150 again. That's probably the reason we've seen so many placing discounting the Thud lately.
    I purchased mine back in December and I am very happy except for some creek noises coming from the saddle clamp (may need some lub?). What's recalled?.

mtbr member

Whats the travel?

Quote Originally Posted by bhutata
    Is it still 4"? or is this the other one which will only be 1-2"?

SB...
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

mtbr member
    It's still 4" of travel according to the guy I spoke to. He said the basics are the same, but they've improved it so the bushings can be rebuilt by users and you don't have to settle for notches when adjusting seat tilt. I know at least one guy here who has an old Thud sitting in a box because the bushings wore out, and this guy only weighs 125.

I don't recall exactly what the reason was for the recall, but the exact serial numbers are posted on a number of websites, just google for thudbuster recall and you'll find the specifics. It runs from about #10xxx to 18xxx. The serial number is on a sticker inside the bottom of the seatpost.

BTW, I had a Moxey post before this and the main reason it's retired is that the bushings wore out on it, so it sounds like this new Thud is an improvement either way. From everything I heard, Moxey had killer customer service, but from what I've seen you could sure do worse than Cane Creek.
    Last edited by bhutata; 04-28-2004 at 04:07 PM.
    A man is only a man, but a good bicycle is a ride.

fsr
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

recall

It was the cradle that the seat clamp bolt passes through that was recalled. Apparently a few of them broke. Fortunately no one was hurt but the company decided to go with the recall. I had mine sent in and they also replaced the elastomers and bushings all at no charge. FSR

think name says enough...
    Jun 2008
    Creek is in the manufacturers name... of course it will creak... although, my suspension linkages drown out the seatpost, by far!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've run one, but now it's just sitting. It's a matter of weight, really. They're about 1/2 lb or more heavier than a conventional post.

My experience is they work great on holes and ditches, or anything that the bike has to drop in to. Pedaling through rain ruts is no longer a hammer fest on the kidneys and the rest of the body Not so great on bumps, or anything that protrudes. As it has a tendency to preload then release it's energy (no dampning) . If they added a dampner, that would be great.

Lastly, I did manage to modify my riding style while using one. Besides the obvious of staying seated when approaching a rut or hole, I found that while down hilling I could mimic a full suspension, and stay seated a lot more.

I'm considering selling mine, haven't decided yet though.

mtbr member
    Wow, major thread resurrection (from 2004).

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty View Post
    I purchased mine back in December and I am very happy except for some creek noises coming from the saddle clamp (may need some lub?). What's recalled?.
    "Creek" noises, huh? Do you suppose it could be the "dampening"?
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)