mtbr member
    Jun 2007

New seatpost rack from Arkel - any thoughts?

I'm still trying to figure out a way to carry a small load (around 10 pounds) on singletrack and off my back.

This is a unique seatpost rack. Looks like it will stay put. Other than the weight being slightly higher than a traditional rack, I don't see any downsides (I don't use panniers, just a trunk bag):

http://www.arkel.ca/ca_e/all-categor...neur-rack.html

I build my own.
    Hmm... looks interesting. I haven't tried it.

I use an Axiom Phoenix with just a post mount. At 10 lbs. I get no sway. Over 20 lbs. and I might depending on the trail.

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/ge...x-le-seatpost/

1/3 the price of the Arkel and it looks beefier.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That looks pretty good too.....do you get no away on singletrack or on the road? I ask because almost all reviews of these things are by commuters on the road....

I build my own.
    Not at 10 lbs. on tight tech singletrack . I can move the rack with my hands but it takes way more than 10 lbs. of force. If I load it down and hit a tree, I'm sure it would move.

It probably wouldn't be hard to rig up "sway bars" for it. I haven't needed them yet.

I use it for multi-day rides on alpine singletrack.

I just noticed the capacity of the Arkel is only 13 lbs. The Axiom is rated for 33lbs.

I chose a seatpost rack because the choices are limited for 29" wheels.

mtbr member
    That looks like a really nice rig. The Tailrider bag looks really nice too. Both are expensive tho. I used a Delta rack last winter for extra clothing and gear - maybe 8-10 lbs including the bag. Never had a problem., Mind you it was the bolt on version, not the clamp-on.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

viva la v-brakes!
    484 pounds comes to about 1.1 pounds. What do seat post mounted racks usually weigh?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

I build my own.
    I never weighed the Axiom. I'd guess 2lbs. It didn't matter to me since the weight I was going to put on it could vary by 20lbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well I ordered it along with the seat bag. See how it goes.

Dinner for wolves
    BUMP!

canuckjgc, any thoughts on the rack 2+ years later? I am gearing up to ride a portion of the Colorado Trail and I already have the excellent Arkel trunk bag. I am torn between a Viscacha style bag and the Arkel Randonneur rack + trunk set up.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Seems like the down side is how much you are limited from being able to get even a bit behind the seat on steep descents or very fast stops.

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    Seems like the down side is how much you are limited from being able to get even a bit behind the seat on steep descents or very fast stops.
    An excellent point, but I do not see how a Viscacha style seat bag would be any different. Those bags also attach at the seat rails + seatpost.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    BUMP!

canuckjgc, any thoughts on the rack 2+ years later? I am gearing up to ride a portion of the Colorado Trail and I already have the excellent Arkel trunk bag. I am torn between a Viscacha style bag and the Arkel Randonneur rack + trunk set up.
    I have the Randonneur rack and the TaiRider bag. Been using them mostly on rail trail century rides for about 3 years now.

I like the Arkel stuff and the rack works good for me. I had one of the racks that just clamps on the seat post before and I didn't like it at all. It would swing around pretty easy. Couldn't get it tight enough to stay put. By buddy had a different brand of the same style and it would slid around pretty easy too. The Arkel rack attaches to the seat rails as well as the post, so it doesn't have that problem, but you get into some really rough stuff it can turn your whole seatpost.

The bag is nice and comes with a rain cover. The top expands kind of like an accordion so it can be loaded a little more than it looks like it would hold. Has zipper pockets on the side which is nice for stuff like ChapStick, sunscreen, a power bar or other small stuff that you want to get without opening the pack.

How rough of a section are you going to be riding? The point about not being able to get off the back of the seat on steep stuff is valid, and as I already noted with some weight it can turn the seatpost on you. I am sure you could crank the clamp down and hold it though.

Again, I am happy with the set up, but I really don't use it on any aggressive trail riding.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things