mtbr member
    Dec 2011

New pedals don't spin as freely as the old ones, grease or oil them?

Hi I receive my new pedals and after install I notice they don't rotate as free as the old ones. Don't know if is lack of grease or over torque from the factory.
    They are smaller lighter so the bearing is smaller. Don't know if that may have something to do with the spin quality.
    Is there pedal specific torque?
    I have park tool poly grease and 3 in 1 oil what to use?
    Thanks.

Huckin' trails

Sealed cartridge bearing pedals often also use a bushing on the other end of the axle too, and while they should spin smoothly, they will often not spin freely.

Unless they are making noise, vibration, rattling, clicking or other suspicious noises, I wouldn't grease them up if they spin smoothly.

But if these are loose ball bearing pedals, then you should fill them up with grease (not oil) as much as possible and adjust the bearings to be as smooth as possible but without play. I found put that it's easier to adjust them a bit on the smooth freeish side instead of too tight, ride them a few times and you'll notice them loosening up a little. Then re-adjust them properly to no play and add more bearing grease to it, make sure the plastic cap at the end is not going anywhere and you're in business.

Sealed cartridge bearing pedals are a no adjustment deal. You tighten the nut all the way and it is what it is. Good news though is if the bearings starts to deteriorate, you can still ride them until they really get crappy without damaging the pedal or axle, you simply swap the cartridge for a new one. A bit more expensive, but less messing around and wasting time.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    what pedals? many bearings (bottom brackets, hubs, etc) all usually dont spin as nice when new compared to putting a little break-in time on them...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    They don't make any noise or have any play by just spinning, pulling or pushing on them by hand.
    The description say sealed bearing.
    I got the wellgo WR-1
    They replaced some super heavy wellgo pedals, but like I said I was just wondering since the old ones spin easier like no so much resistance when you spin them by hand the old one axle is bigger that mean bigger bearing compared to the new ones.
    I will go and ride then.
    I was just worried if that was normal or not.
    They spin smoothly but with some resistance. If you try to see how many revolution they can do it would be 0 pretty much as soon as you let go they stop. But like I said no noise play or anything just that resistance.

Huckin' trails

Often it's the contact seal that will prevent them from spinning freely. It's normal and honestly sometimes better as you dont want your pedals to turn into a power spinning meat grinder on your shin. It's just static friction.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Often it's the contact seal that will prevent them from spinning freely. It's normal and honestly sometimes better as you dont want your pedals to turn into a power spinning meat grinder on your shin. It's just static friction.
    ^^^This is a good thing. It means your pedals are well-sealed against dirt, dust, and water.

Also, some bearings don't free-spin all that well, but they can bear heavy loads and still spin smoothly. Don't worry about them until you feel them clicking under your feet.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thank you all for the help.
    Being new I just don't know if that was normal.
    Just did a 8 mile loop and they perform really good no noise no play.
    I will ride them until they start making weird noises then I will open them up.