Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

New MTB based on trail (video)

Hi everyone,
    I have made a short video for you to see (and enjoy! ) the trails I ride:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFCSQ_Ivspk

In a few months I want to purchase a new full suspension mountain bike, I know from experience how vastly more comfortable it is and more control it provides.

Now the question- based on the trails you see in the video, would you recommend a 27.5" or a 29" bike? As there are many flat sections but also several windy ones. I am 6' 3".
    Thank you in advance for advice!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hi Olivier,

Based on those trails, I would personally ride a 29er. That being said, it's more about HOW you ride, than where. If you like fast, stable, carve-able, ride over anything type bikes, get a 29er. If you like you hop around/over obstacles, get a 27.5".

Also, I would recommend trying wider bars with your new bike.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Your terrain could be handled easily with a hardtail 29 with engineered rear compliance for comfort. And some 720mm low rise bars with a shorter stem. If you can demo some bikes, including these you should find what you need.
    Canyon | Mountain Bike | Grand Canyon CF SL 29 6.9
    ALMA M50 ? Orbea
    Superfly 9.6 - Trek
    30mm inside rim wheels would add even more comfort from more volume.
    I can recommend the Trek with wide rim wheels for trails with terrain rockier than what you've shown on videos.
    Lighter, cheaper with less maintenance than a full suspension.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'd get a full suspension bike. The increase in traction and flexibility for taking the bike to more rugged terrain makes it worth it.

I'd suggest checking out the Specialized Camber. I've been testing out 100-120mm travel 29ers lately, and the Camber was a bike you don't hear much about, but seriously impressed me. Light, fast, fun, and can handle a lot. I'm planning to build up a Camber Evo (120mm) in the next month.

Oh, but ~30mm carbon rims are AMAZING. Totally worth it.

bike wisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Your terrain could be handled easily with a hardtail 29 with engineered rear compliance for comfort. And some 720mm low rise bars with a shorter stem. If you can demo some bikes, including these you should find what you need.
    Canyon | Mountain Bike | Grand Canyon CF SL 29 6.9
    ALMA M50 ? Orbea
    Superfly 9.6 - Trek
    30mm inside rim wheels would add even more comfort from more volume.
    I can recommend the Trek with wide rim wheels for trails with terrain rockier than what you've shown on videos.
    Lighter, cheaper with less maintenance than a full suspension.
    +1 on all this.

29 inch wheels and a tall rider are a perfect match.

You don't need any suspension for your trails.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

Front Range, Colorado
    Welcome aboard Olivier.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thank you everyone for your responses!

@eb1888, what do you mean with engineered rear compliance? I can't seem to find a concrete description anywhere.

After reading the responses, it is clear a 29er is a must - I will do a test ride soon. And I suspected a FS would be 'overkill' for this terrain!

mtbr member
    I really like your trails. Good flow and no death hills. Where are you and who runs these trails?

I'd think about a fatboy, especially if you have a real winter. You should see it ride mud and sand.
    Last edited by telemike; 1 Week Ago at 08:01 PM. Reason: add

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    This is in the Netherlands near a city called Ede - to the southeast and east of it is where I ride. On google maps you can see the forest and open area well.
    Many of the trails are in a nature area as determined by the local government, so if they are maintained, I would think it is by these people but I don't know for sure!
    They are mainly trails I happened to stumble upon while riding

MTB B'dos
    Welcome, as others have said, definitely looks like 29er HT territory to me, something steel or Ti to help with compliance in the rear, bigger/fatter tyres in the 2.4" range or even some of the new 29"+ 3" wide tyres. Doesn't look like a lot or much really steep stuff, so something along the "XC" lines would prob work with a Head Angle in the 70 degree range and a 48-51mm offset fork. Love my Surly Karate Monkey frame, it's steel and very versatile, with a 100mm fork on it would have just about those angles, but there's LOADS of steel HTs out there to chose from, so do some searching and looking and find the one that suits you.

Also agree on the bar width, I was cringing the entire time watching that video with that narrow bar, sketchy, worst thing I ever did thinking I needed it when I started riding on narrow trails, definitely move up to at least a 720mm wide bar, your trails look very open. I personally run a 750mm> on all my bikes and will never go narrower.

Your setup, guessing about 23-24"/580-600mm

New MTB based on trail (video)-too-narrow-bar.jpg

My setup - 785mm w/ 65mm stem

New MTB based on trail (video)-gopr0406.jpg
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Great information, looked up all of it and understand a lot more about bike geometry now
    And yes, they are 580mm handlebars. I will definitely have wider bars on my next bike.
    Last edited by olivierhacking; 1 Week Ago at 04:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have however found a great deal on a 29er fully:

ROSE DR. Z. 2 29" 2014 voordelig kopen in de online shop www.rose.nl

I can't imagine it being that much slower than a HT on these trails?
    The other option I am considering is building a HT myself, I can post the specs here soon so you guys can see it

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Another vote for a HT, and for the love of god some wider bars. The ones you have make me feel claustrophobic.

I'd probably go with 29er as well. I have yet to find any downside to AM geometry, which makes everything more fun.

A short-travel FS would be good too - more comfortable on longer rides, better capability on the chunky stuff if you ever go someplace with, you know, "rocks".
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Kona Taro
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1

mtbr member
    Nicely made video of some of the flattest terrain I've ever seen cycled on! ;0) Is it all like that? I have friends who'd ride that on a cross-bike.

Kinda begs the question, if you need full suspension for that what on earth are hard-tails for? Sounds like suspension envy to me ;0)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It is pure envy indeed which I have for suspension... it is hard to let go.
    But I must... for there is another path I can choose: that of the hardtail!

Anyway, after I have saved for a few months, I want to build it. These are all the components I think of using. I hope I can receive some feedback about it all! Have fun looking through this 'goodie bag' of bike parts

Frame (21 XL):RCZ 2014 Frame Race 29 XL Disc Matte Black / White Size 21 RCZ Bike Shop

Crankset (68BB for frame): RACEFACE Crankarms RESPOND 2014 170mm Black + BB 68/73mm (CK12RSDA170BLK) RCZ Bike Shop

Chainring (38T -for the trails I run): Race Face Narrow Wide Single Chainring | Chain Reaction Cycles

Cassette (11-36):Shimano XT M771 10 Speed MTB Cassette | Chain Reaction Cycles

Chain (114 or 116): Shimano XT HG95 SIL-TEC 10 Speed Chain | Chain Reaction Cycles

Derailleur: Bike24 - Shimano ZEE RD-M640-SSW Shadow Pus Rear Derailleur 10-speed - black

Shifter: Bike24 - Shimano ZEE SL-M640 Rapidfire Plus Shifting Lever right - black

Rims (depends on fork/ advice): CRANKBROTHERS 2013 Wheelset Cobalt 3 29" Disc 6 holes Axle (9x100mm / 10x135mm) Black/red (13404) RCZ Bike Shop
    or
    Fulcrum Red Power 29 HP Wheelset 2015 | Chain Reaction Cycles
    or
    Bike24 - DT Swiss X 1600 SPLINE 29 Wheelset FW 15x100mm Steckachse / RW QR Disc Centerlock 2013

Tyres (chose 2.25 due to rolling resistance): Bike24 - Schwalbe Nobby Nic Performance MTB Folding Tire 29" 57-622 2014

Tubes: Bike24 - Continental MTB 28/29" Tube

Fork (depends on rims/ advice): ? Fox 32 Float 29 CTD 29er QR15 Tapared 100mm Voorvork Wit 100 - Fietsonderdelen - Marktplaats.nl
    or
    Bike24 - Rock Shox Reba RL Solo Air 29er Maxle Lite Fork 100mm Tapered black 2014
    or
    Bike24 - RockShox Reba RL Solo Air 29" Fork 100mm Tapered 9QR 2015 - black
    or
    DT SWISS 2014 Fork XMM 100 29'' Twin Shot Torsion Box Axle 15mm Tapered White (FXMMCBDABDAW49345S) RCZ Bike Shop

Headset: Aest Anodised Semi Integrated Tapered Bike Headset 1-1/8 inch - 1.5 inch | eBay

Handlebar (710mm, I really think more is too much): Funn Flame On Flat Bar | Chain Reaction Cycles

Stem: Race Face Ride XC Stem | Chain Reaction Cycles

Brakes: Bike24 - Shimano SLX BR-M675 + BL-M675 Disc Brake rear with G01S Brake Pads - black
    and
    Bike24 - Shimano SLX BR-M675 + BL-M675 Disc Brake front with G01S Brake Pads - black

Rotors (160x2): ASHIMA Disc ARO 08 2014 6 bolts 160mm SILVER (ARO-08160) RCZ Bike Shop

Seatpost: On-One Twelfty MTB Seatpost | On - One

Saddle: Selle Italia Q-Bik Flow Saddle | Chain Reaction Cycles

Chain stay protector: Lizard Skins Chain Stay Protector | Chain Reaction Cycles

Own grips
    Own pedals
    Last edited by olivierhacking; 6 Days Ago at 03:16 PM.

MTB B'dos
    Looks pretty nice to me, can't say there's anything I'd change, sadly no experience with any of those wheels so can't comment on them. As to the bar, while 710mm might seem narrow to me, for you it'll be a huge change, so I think it's good plan to not go wider if you've been accustomed to 580mm bar - FYI, I have that FUNN bar on one of my loaner/rental bikes and it's fantastic. What colour are you going to get? Hope not boring old black

Quote Originally Posted by olivierhacking View Post
    It is pure envy indeed which I have for suspension... it is hard to let go.
    But I must... for there is another path I can choose: that of the hardtail!

Anyway, after I have saved for a few months, I want to build it. These are all the components I think of using. I hope I can receive some feedback about it all! Have fun looking through this 'goodie bag' of bike parts
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Looks pretty nice to me, can't say there's anything I'd change, sadly no experience with any of those wheels so can't comment on them. As to the bar, while 710mm might seem narrow to me, for you it'll be a huge change, so I think it's good plan to not go wider if you've been accustomed to 580mm bar - FYI, I have that FUNN bar on one of my loaner/rental bikes and it's fantastic. What colour are you going to get? Hope not boring old black
    And no riser because the stem has a 6° rise. I am definitely not getting it in black, I think blue or red (I have red accent lock grips), and those Cobalt 3 rims would look very sexy. Add a red / blue chainring to the mix and you have some great accents

Super Dad
    start with a wide bar and cut down as needed. bar width also depends on your body frame size. im 5'9" and athletic build, i found 730mm width works good for my size and my riding style. if you start with say a wide 800mm bar, you can put your grips on the slide them in or out until you find a spot you like and that cut to desired length
    2006 Monocog Flight 26
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5
    2014 Trek Crossrip

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I might actually get a CF frame instead, weighs a lot less, looks better but is 200 euros more expensive! (250USD). Is this worth the extra cash, and would there be a big difference in ride quality?
    POISON 2014 Frame GRAPHENE 29" Carbon Disc Black Size XL RCZ Bike Shop

MTB B'dos
    Yup, sounds like a fun bike you'll have and colour match it how you like it. Love how my Phantom looks now with a variety of different ano parts - red chainring, bar, seatpost clamp, BB, Blue front hub, cables, knobs on fork and shock and Kashima on the fork. Wanted a matching blue rear hub, but wasn't willing to pay that much for the matching Hope, so just got a silver Nukeproof instead and it actually looks pretty nice, kind of goes with the raw frame.

And no riser because the stem has a 6° rise. I am definitely not getting it in black, I think blue or red (I have red accent lock grips), and those Cobalt 3 rims would look very sexy. Add a red / blue chainring to the mix and you have some great accents
    New MTB based on trail (video)-dscn0470.jpg
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Is there anyone with experience with one or more of these wheels or forks? It is a very hard decision!

MTB B'dos
    Sorry Dude, missed the multiple fork options stuff. For me, since they're everywhere and easy as pie to use, make sure you get a 15mm TA fork, no matter what - it's just as easy to remove as an old 5mm QR.

As to which actual fork? Well honestly not a fan of the new RS SOLO stuff, just don't like it, but if you want RS stuff, then that's what you have to take. That's being said, RS forks easy to work on and RS tech manuals are superb and easy to follow. Fox also basically uses a "solo air" design on their forks.

The REBA guarantees you a good fork, RS doesn't have different levels of Reba, but with Fox they only offer one "make" i.e. F32, but they have 3 different levels of that fork, Evolution, Performance and Factory and they vary GREATLY in their quality - for me definitely not the Evolution range, so wither the Performance or Factory and you pay for the factory.

Hope some of that helps.

Is there anyone with experience with one or more of these wheels or forks? It is a very hard decision!
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    The only fork there I can comment on is the Reba, I have one of those but it's the older dual-air. I am totally happy with it. Once you get the pressure right, for me that meant the lowest you could run without bottoming out, and dial the rebound, fairly slow works best for me, the fork just behaves.

I use it on everything from road to small jumps, drops and berms with lots of rough tracks like yours in between. The best thing I can say about the fork is that you never feel like it is drawing attention to itself or doing something it shouldn't. From climbing over rocks to soaking up full-travel landings it feels totally composed. For what you're doing it is certainly good enough.

How that relates to the other forks I have no idea. I wouldn't worry about dual-air, single-air if I were you though, nor the size of the stanchions or the type of axle. Try to get the best damper you can as that'll make the biggest difference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ok, thanks for the info.

If I do go for that CF frame, I need to get a 92mm bottom bracket... which I cannot find anywhere together with a crankset, only loose (https://www.futurumshop.nl/shimano-x...t-84-5mm.phtml)
    Is there a way to make the 68/73mm BB fit in a 92BB shell? (The crankset I wanted to use for the AL frame)

In dog years, I'm dead.
    I don't think you need a suspension fork for that terrain. Go fully rigid. If you want a little squish, go with a fully rigid fat bike.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast