BoatMike

New hydro pack - which one?

Hey Guys,
    I needed a new hydration pack because my old one grew too small for my needs. I ride alone a lot as in my thread"Alone and hurt in no-mans land" and needed to pack a few more things such as, first aid kit, more water(3 liter) because I've emptied my 2 liter before, and all my regular stuff like: 2 extra tubes, pump, tool kit, tire patch kit, flash light, 2 packs of shot blocs, 1 pack of GU, my cell phone, a knife on my shoulder strap, and a few more misc. necessity's. Well after a lot of internet research and interviews of people, it came down to one name..."CamelBak". The CamelBak "Mule" was the one I bought. I never thought I'd spend $100.00 on a pack but, with a "lifetime" warranty and the way it's constructed sold me. Here's something to think about; what if you fall backwards or wipe out and land on your back and the bladder breaks. Well first, you have no more water and second, everything in your pack is now soaked as happens with the cheaper brands. I talked to guys in the military and they said they will only use CamelBak because of that reason and the comfort and dependability that is made in every one. Newbies, since your just starting out buy 1 good pack the first time and never have to worry about any problems that could cut your ride short or leave you in a bad situation far away from water and your car. The pack will last forever if you take care of it and the bladder and the bite valve tips are replaceable.Like I said I thought I would never spend $100.00 a pack but, Now that I did....I wish I wouldn't have waited so long. Do your own comparison, and let me know if you think there is a better pack for mountain biking. Read the post at www.whereyaat.net about hydration packs and some comparisons. See ya on the trails!

Front Range, Colorado
    I know there are a lot of good quality packs on the market these day's. But just to set your mind at ease. I bought a Camelbak Mule 13 years ago and it is my primary pack. It has survived countless crashes onto it and abuse. The pack itself is in as good of integrity as the day I bought it. All zippers work flawlessly. I have never had any issues with a bladder leaking even with crashing onto it. I have only replaced bladders a couple times. And that was only due to my laziness of leaving water in a warm environment. Bacteria build up and I would toss it. My normal routine that I highly suggest is to store the bladder in freezer or refrigerator to prevent bacteria build up. Good choice in choosing a Camelbak Mule it is a top notch product with a lifetime warranty. That most likely you will never have to use.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've got several hydration packs and don't really use any of them, never really liked them.
    With the cooler weather I needed something to stash warm clothes in so started looking again. Finally found the Vaude Hyper 14+3. Best pack I've used.
    Believe it or not, my main requirement was a place to stash tissues that I could reach while riding - in cool weather my nose runs constantly. The Vaude has an elastic pouch on either side of the pack, I assume made for a water bottle. It's perfect for a wad of tissues. The other side fits a point and shoot camera and both can be reached while riding and without taking the pack off.
    I find packs make my back ache so I was looking for a spot lower on the pack to put heavy things like tools and CO2. The Vaude has a separate pouch very low just made for it.
    The main compartment has two elastic spots perfect for wallet and cell phone. It has a key snap.
    The backpanel is suspended on a mesh support for air flow. The strap to bag attachment can be adjusted to move the pack up and down your back.
    The sternum strap is adjustable up and down.
    Every one of these things separated the Vaude from every other pack I've used.

Review here. Vaude Hyper Air 14+3 Review | Mountain Bike Review

Climbs = necessary evil
    Here's my favorite pack and it's on sale for 1/2 price right now:

Geigerrig Rig 1200 Hydration Pack in Black | Overstock.com

• The 100 oz. bladder is lifetime guaranteed
    • The multiple cinch points make sure you can minimize the unused storage area or expand out to what you need.
    • The 3 separate compartments and side mesh pouches make it easy to organize your gear
    • The back pad has great airflow to keep the sweat down to a minimum.
    • The shoulder straps are very comfortable
    • You can add an in-line carbon filter to refill your bladder from a stream on those epic rides
    • And the pressurization of the water with the hand bulb pump make drinking water when you are breathing hard on long climbs a breeze.

BoatMike
    The Geigerrig does look like a good pack, very similar to the Mule in the air flow and pockets and sturdy construction as reflected in their warranty. I like the in-line water filter and the pressurized bladder features. If I didn't get the Mule, I definitely would have gotten one of these.Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Looks interesting but is only 70 Oz bladder.Site contradicts itself with bladder size, amazon agrees it is 100 Oz.

I have had a camelback blowfish for close to 10 years with original bladder.

Only put water in it, rinse out before you go ride and leave some water in it after ride.

If I use the pack within a week I will rinse with hot water and fill up, good to go. After not using for extended periods I take almost boiling water and put some in the pack. make sure not to close it pack will pressurize fast and might explode in you face

I carry a bidon with extra water just in case my bladder springs a leak. I put powdered Gatorade in there.

Happy trails

Climbs = necessary evil
    Geigerrig has both a 70 & 100 option. I thought the 1200 pack came with the 100 by default, but i could be wrong.

Sent from my Android - because Carrier Pigeons are slow!