mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Cool-blue Rhythm New here and to mountain biking! Hi!

Hello all!

Been reading the forums and it has been so helpful. I just got into mountain biking 3 weeks ago.

I still have some questions though:

What kind of shoes do I need to wear? Do I really have to go and get a biking shoe?

How much better is riding with gloves? Any recommendations on what kind of gloves? Probably the fingerless kind as I live in Texas and it's so hot here!

Thanks for all the help and sorry in advance if this has already been talked about.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sammysanchez View Post
    Hello all!

Been reading the forums and it has been so helpful. I just got into mountain biking 3 weeks ago.

I still have some questions though:

What kind of shoes do I need to wear? Do I really have to go and get a biking shoe?

How much better is riding with gloves? Any recommendations on what kind of gloves? Probably the fingerless kind as I live in Texas and it's so hot here!

Thanks for all the help and sorry in advance if this has already been talked about.
    Welcome!

As to your questions:

1. The shoes you choose depend on the type of pedals you have. I imagine that you have platform pedals if you're just starting out (there is nothing that clips you onto the bike), so you don't necessarily need special shoes. They might help though.

A lot of people use skate shoes with grippy bottoms for riding and you can find these cheap. I personally use approach shoes (low top hiking shoes with a grippy bottom meant for scrambling on rocks). If you find your feet slipping off the pedals a lot, you might want to try different pedals/shoes (though obviously good technique is the key variable).

2. Most mountain bikers prefer full finger over half gloves. I know mine have saved my finger tips from getting chewed up in falls a number of times. I'd just look for some with mesh backs if I were you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This vid outlines the 'low heels' technique for sticking to platforms. With some practice you will stick to a lot of pedals with trailrunners or other common running shoes with waffle or lighly lugged soles. Stubby pinned pedals work without tearing up your soles. Wellgo B143s or Origin8 ULT off ebay are options.
    Straight Lines with Fabien Barel - YouTube