mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! New here. Can you help me choose new wheels?

Hello. I'm Justin.I'm trying to ride my bike more to lose weight. I have a decent size park near my house that has lots to offer a mountain bike rider.

I have a 1999 Gary Fisher Tassajara which I understand is essentially a Trek. That's what the guy at the bike shop told me. He also said Gary Fisher was a maniac. I've upgraded several components of this bike. Now, the wheels. However I am on a TIGHT budget. It's was recommended to me to look up Vuelta Zerolite Pro wheels that are on Amazon for $129. Those look fine however I am concerned about only 24 spokes and my 220lbs with no gear weight.

Will they hold up? Are there better options?I prefer non-boring looking wheels. Not afraid of some color.thanks for the help. I look forward to contributing here in the future.

Edit: i apologize for any typos. Hashed that out quickly on my iphone.
    Last edited by Justin428; 04-16-2013 at 09:30 PM.

mtbr member
    lol Was it something I said?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin428 View Post
    lol Was it something I said?
    pretty sure it was this: "He also said Gary Fisher was a maniac."

I know it made me literally laugh out loud and delayed my response. Here is the MTBR review page for those wheels: Vuelta ZeroLite Pro Mountain Wheelset Reviews

A direct quote from the first review: "As it is said: you have price, weight and strength; pick two. Well, these wheels are cost effective and strong but a bit heavy. I'm 220lbs so this is not exactly a concern"

I don't know much about those wheels but that review would make me feel a bit more confident in the purchase if I were you.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzaboom View Post
    pretty sure it was this: "He also said Gary Fisher was a maniac."

I know it made me literally laugh out loud and delayed my response. Here is the MTBR review page for those wheels: Vuelta ZeroLite Pro Mountain Wheelset Reviews

A direct quote from the first review: "As it is said: you have price, weight and strength; pick two. Well, these wheels are cost effective and strong but a bit heavy. I'm 220lbs so this is not exactly a concern"

I don't know much about those wheels but that review would make me feel a bit more confident in the purchase if I were you.
    Thanks for that. I was just hoping for something to compare them to. They must have a competitor!

Also, was/is Gary a nut? lol

mtbr member

New here. Can you help me choose new wheels?

Make sure the rims you get are appropriate for the type of brakes you have. Also is there a reason you want to upgrade your current rims. It might be possible if the one you have in your bike are good this might not be that much of an upgrade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrogs View Post
    Make sure the rims you get are appropriate for the type of brakes you have. Also is there a reason you want to upgrade your current rims. It might be possible if the one you have in your bike are good this might not be that much of an upgrade.
    Thanks.

The stock wheels are warped a little. Not terribly but I have a tough time modulating braking because of the warp. Bike shop guy told me they are Weinman brand and not too great to begin with. So I thought a wheel upgrade would be nice.

oh and yeah I have the regular rim squeeze brakes.