Thread: New here

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

New here

Hello, I just joined the site. I'm 40 years old and overweight. Mainly riding to get in shape, but I love bicycles and like to tinker with them. I love my old Jamis Dakota, but at the behest of my wife I bought a new Mongoose Seek'r. I know it just a Chinese walmart special, but it's all we could afford for now. The bike looks to have a solid foundation to me, but leaves some to be desired in the components department. It does have Shimano hardware for the drive, but they are most certainly bottom-line. It also has disc brakes and front suspension, but again, both leave a bit to be desired. This is my first ever suspended bike...until a few months ago my 80's model Jamis seemed high-end! My main riding right now is around town and commuting, but there are many trails in my area and I'd love to take advantage of them. My point is please go easy on me...I'm old, fat, out of shape, and too poor to afford a nice bike. I'm just here for tips, info, and inspiration. Thanks for having me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    sorry...I reposted this to the sticky thread for newbs. Tried to delete this one but couldn't see where to do so.

Readin & Postin since '02
    Jul 2006
    Welcome! ...and what's wrong with the Jamis?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Welcome! ...and what's wrong with the Jamis?
    Thanks chuckha62. In my opinion nothing is wrong with the Jamis. It's been a great bike for the last 10-odd years I've owned it. Never wiped out hard on it or had it give me any grief, but for some reason my wife complains every time we go for a ride that she wants me to get a new one. The Dakota is old and crappy looking, it creaks here and there when I ride it, but its still a quality bike.
    I do like my new Mongoose, but it's a cheapy. I'd love a new Specialized or Giant, but we just cant afford it right now.
    I have weird thoughts a lot, and I've already considered adapting some of the hardware from the Jamis to the Mongoose. I think the 'goose frame is a quality piece. It is aluminum, and all the welds and fab look pretty good to my eye. It is heavy IMO, and the components aren't great. It might not be top of the line, but I wont be railin with Sorge and Berrecloth anytime soon anyway.
    I think I'll leave the Jamis as-is though, and maybe save for a nicer set of wheels in the next year or 2. Until then I'll ride the 'goose.