mtbr member
    Jun 2009

New Grips - Different Accents

So i replaced the stock grips with ODI Rogue lock-ons. I went for black instead of the stock white and it turned out better than i thought. Then i got to wondering (as any sound minded rational mtber would) how it would look if i replaced the white seat with a black one to match. Before i went out to buy a good, proper seat, i used an old pos seat just to get an idea of the look...so far, me likes

Then i thought i'd reach out to other sound minded rational mtbers and get their opinions, so whaddya think of the conversion to black grips & potentially a black (proper) seat?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Grips - Different Accents-img_1618_web-size.jpg  

New Grips - Different Accents-img_1648_web-size.jpg  

New Grips - Different Accents-img_1658_web-size.jpg  

Heck, I wouldn't even consider a white saddle or grips or much of anything else for that matter. Never did understand the whole fascination thing with white bikes the last few years...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

I Have Cookies
    +1 lol on white stuff...... Never understood that ether
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

too cold to ride
    People like dirt and sweat stains?

Anyway, black all the way.
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the replies The black is growing on me more and more. I like that it's toning down the flashiness. I love the feel of the grips lol!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    sorry to jack your thread, but how do you like your bike overall? I'm thinking about the same one.

mtbr member
    White parts are cool- I think so at least. But not for grips- they just end up nasty looking.

Nice ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwgfan91
    sorry to jack your thread, but how do you like your bike overall? I'm thinking about the same one.
    I love it, it's a great bike. From the FSR design, to its strong handling, standover ability, relative light weight (29.75lbs), Shmano & Avid comps, 120 mm travel, and overall design, I feel extrememly confident on this bike. It rides rides all trails well and is perfect for my needs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDIN'MO
    White parts are cool- I think so at least. But not for grips- they just end up nasty looking.

Nice ride!
    Thanks dude.

Yeah, even after washng white grips a few times, they start to look nastyish when they're clean. Otherwise white looks good.

I'm SUCH a square....
    The only white you ever need on a bike is paint (if it comes that way), and/or white carbon bits (look silvery at the right angle, pretty sweet).

ride more
    Mar 2007
    It looks less gaudy with the black...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thx for the replies

I've decided that i'm definitely going for a black seat. Plus, i'll have the option to go back to white when i get bored lol. I'm thinking of getting a whole separate seat post with the saddle...then it's a simple swap.

Any recommendations for a decent mtb saddle? Lightweight but still foamy...not looking for a piece of leather riveted to a hard-ass plastic mold (like the old school Italian race saddles - did anyone ever find those comfortable...my ass is hurting just thinking about it)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Whatever fits your rear end.
    I've had pretty good luck with WTB.
    Couple of my riding buds like Fizik.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by archer
    Whatever fits your rear end.
    I've had pretty good luck with WTB.
    Couple of my riding buds like Fizik.
    I see and hear alot about WTB. They must be leaders in the industry?
    Are Fizik saddles for road as well as mountain? I thought they're primarily road but i could be wrong.

too cold to ride
    Eh, tons of companies make (or license their names to companies that make) saddles. I have a Bontrager Race Lite and it's nice (pretty firm though). I'm not sure I'd say one brand is much better than another, it's all personal preference.
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The Titec Ithys (for some reason I had thought it was Bontrager label, guess not) that came on my 03 Big Sur was nice for short rides but at an hour plus it started to be annoying.

I swapped it out with a WTB Speed V I found on sale at the LBS. Heavier but more comfie.
    My Kona came stock with a WTB Laser V Race. Either it is pretty comfortable or the suspension soaks up enough crap that it seems that way. Seems they are often stock on Giant, Kona and a few other companies. Probably as much cost driven as anything.

The last Fizik catalog I saw had a couple mountain options plus maybe one labeled mtb female. One of the guys I know who likes them is running one on his single speed.

Saddles, pedals and grips are probably the most common things changed out on bikes. Easy custom changes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks again everyone. I've been looking at WTBs online. Just need to get out to my LBS and feel one in my hands...or preferably on my ass

Quote Originally Posted by 2_WD
    I see and hear alot about WTB. They must be leaders in the industry?
    Are Fizik saddles for road as well as mountain? I thought they're primarily road but i could be wrong.
    What's the difference between a road saddle and a mountain saddle? Other than marketing, that is. If you go looking for WTB saddles see if any of the shops have the WTB saddle test program where you can try the various saddles for free (but they just give you the saddle, not a seatpost with it to make it easy ).
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    What's the difference between a road saddle and a mountain saddle? Other than marketing, that is. If you go looking for WTB saddles see if any of the shops have the WTB saddle test program where you can try the various saddles for free (but they just give you the saddle, not a seatpost with it to make it easy ).
    From what i've seen and heard, mountain saddles tend to have more cushion/foam and are generally shorter in length. This is improtant as you don't want to catch ur nutsack on the back of the seat when you're leaning off the back of your bike before taking that 27' drop.

Do you get to take it home and test it or in the store only? A LBS by my work (Cyclepath) has a bunch of seatposts setup and you can test a seat there...looks kinda funny.

don't try this at home
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Heck, I wouldn't even consider a white saddle or grips or much of anything else for that matter. Never did understand the whole fascination thing with white bikes the last few years...
    man, you're gonna hate my bike when it's done.

back to the OP. i think they should match really. personal preference.
    will you rep me?

Quote Originally Posted by 2_WD
    From what i've seen and heard, mountain saddles tend to have more cushion/foam and are generally shorter in length. This is improtant as you don't want to catch ur nutsack on the back of the seat when you're leaning off the back of your bike before taking that 27' drop.

Do you get to take it home and test it or in the store only? A LBS by my work (Cyclepath) has a bunch of seatposts setup and you can test a seat there...looks kinda funny.
    Good observation on the foam thing, hadn't thought about that much as I usually ignore the thicker foam saddles altogether; the more time spent in a saddle the less comfortable the extra padding is, and that really doesn't matter road or mountain. Don't think the length is much different between most road and mountain models, at least not the ones I've purchased (probably the longest one I had was a "mountain" saddle, though). Overall there's really little reason to distinguish the saddle as to whether it was sold as a road or mountain saddle...

The shop determines the length of time you can have the saddle on the WTB program, but a week has been what I've run into in a few places. Does Cyclepath just mount those posts on a bench or something or do you get the option of putting the post into your frame (if it's the right size)?
    suum quique

Quote Originally Posted by BigSharks
    I'm not sure I'd say one brand is much better than another, it's all personal preference.
    Indeed !!! Don't think it gets more personal than the interface betwixt yer arse/taint and the seat I've found the Bontrager saddle on my old Fuel 90 to be the best saddle I've ever ridden, for me myself and I. FS2000, something like that ??? It ain't boutique, but it fits me well and is comfortable without being padded/bulky