mtbr member
    Jun 2018

New to the forum,back on a bike after YEARS.

Former BMX racer, street and dirt thrasher from WAY back. Now getting back into riding after having hardly even sat in a bike in almost 30 years. Take it easy on me......

starting to scratch the itch with a mountain bike and going to restore my 1987 Robinson Pro Team model for old time sake.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Walleyed99 View Post
    Former BMX racer, street and dirt thrasher from WAY back. Now getting back into riding after having hardly even sat in a bike in almost 30 years. Take it easy on me......

starting to scratch the itch with a mountain bike and going to restore my 1987 Robinson Pro Team model for old time sake.
    Welcome to the site and welcome back to bikes. A lot of us end up taking a long break at some point in our lives… but 30 years?! You've got some riding to do!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Welcome to the site and welcome back to bikes. A lot of us end up taking a long break at some point in our lives… but 30 years?! You've got some riding to do!
    The Robinson Pro Team model was my last new bike, got it going into grade 9. When I bought my first house there was a decent Mielle left in the garage that I put maybe 200km in 10 years. Now I'm making a point to buy a new bike and ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Now I'm making a point to buy a new bike and ride!
    Very cool. What's on your shortlist?
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    Very cool. What's on your shortlist?
    This is what I ended up with, did most of my research through a buddy who used to race MB, and now just rides once in awhile for fun. Looked at Trek, Kona, Specialzed, Orbea and Giant, as well. The GT seemed to offer more in the line of drivetrain, forks, brakes for the money than the others were offering in the same dollar category.And when I rode them, it felt comfortable and seemed to fit. And hey, if I love riding like I used to, I can always upgrade or buy another

https://www.gtbicycles.com/int_en/avalanche-elite-1440

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    This is what I ended up with... it felt comfortable and seemed to fit. And hey, if I love riding like I used to, I can always upgrade or buy another

https://www.gtbicycles.com/int_en/avalanche-elite-1440
    Well said. Great first (mountain) bike! As they say, N+1.

Good luck with the BMX resto. Still amazes me how much the vintage BMX stuff goes for.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I'm in the same boat as you and just made my first post. One of my best friends raced on a Robinson Pro. I rode GT's and a Lightspeed.

Snow Dog
    welcome back...I was in the same boat about 5 years ago. Grew up riing BMX in the 70's/80's, then got into a rock band. toured around and got distracted from biking. 25 years later, my step son wanted to get into BMX, so I pulled out the old 1988 Mongoose Californian Pro, got him an SE Wildman, and we hit it. I took him on some trails one day, and the next thing we knew we were both getting new MTB's! He got a Fuji Nevada (with his own money...12 at the time) that I helped him "research" and pick out. I got a Surly Krampus.

It has been the best mid life crisis I could have asked for. Has totally reinvigorated me in every way. Planning on getting into bike packing more to scratch both itches of camping, being in the wilderness, and biking.

Still ride the Mongoose, but am looking to get a current BMX that will fit me better. The Mongoose is now my "cruiser" . Keep us in the loop, and don't forget to post pics in these 2 forums:

did you ride today?

Post a PIC of your latest purchase [bike related only]
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!