New crankset questions.

Printable View

• 01-14-2013
    shawnt2012
    New crankset questions.
    Hey guys.

Always love asking questions in here rather than anywhere else ( including LBS ), quick response and always from dedicated, knowledgeable people! :thumbsup:

So here's my question ( more of an education Q and A )

I have a stock SR Suntour crankset shown here
    suntour scw oo2 triple mtb crank set 48 38 28 170mmnew with chain guard | eBay
    It has squared taper axle and CH-52 BB cartridge

I want to swap it out with this:

SRAM X7 180mm 22-32-44 3x9 GXP Crank/BB Set Gray | eBay

I believe this should work, but I am not to familiar with BB's ( english and euro? )

Ebay links are for reference! ( Unless that X7 Crankset is a good deal, then I might get it lol )

Edit: Forgot to add a cassette ( compatible of course )
  • 01-14-2013
    Learux
    Notice that the cranks are 180mm on the x7, that is a big difference from with what you have.
  • 01-14-2013
    Slash5
    Yes, that crank and BB should work.
    Jenson has a good deal on the SLX crank at the moment - $90 although BB is not included.
  • 01-14-2013
    jearl
    It should work perfect. I just swapped mine out as well to a SRAM x7 w/gxp and so far I could not be happier.

I noticed your link to eBay has it priced at $183 + shipping of $30.
    Amazon has the same crank for $148 + free shipping.

Amazon.com: SRAM 2012 X7 3x9 Mountain Bicycle Crankset: Sports & Outdoors
  • 01-14-2013
    shawnt2012
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    Notice that the cranks are 180mm on the x7, that is a big difference from with what you have.

SRAM X7 170mm 22-32-44 3x9 GXP Crank/BB Set Gray | eBay

problem solved :D

I am going to buy from an online retailer rather than Ebay this time. I just got the BB7's from Ebay and was very happy with them, but this is a bit more money. I'll check out jensen
  • 01-14-2013
    grizzlyplumber
    That's the crank I put on my 29er hardtail, I like the longer cranks and you will be surprisedthat it drops about a pound of total weight between the crank and BB. It should be a universal fit to just about any bike. As long as you have a bb tool to remove the existing one and if you need help you can find all kinds of how to fix and swap videos on YouTube. Good luck and I think you will be pleased.
  • 01-14-2013
    dirtdan
    How tall are you? 180 mm is a big crank.
  • 01-14-2013
    mnigro
    I'm not familiar with SRAM cranks but if the non drive side crank arm interface is anything like the Truvativ's that I have had, I much prefer shimano. Ymmv
  • 01-14-2013
    SunDevilAZ
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    I'm not familiar with SRAM cranks but if the non drive side crank arm interface is anything like the Truvativ's that I have had, I much prefer shimano. Ymmv

SRAM = Truvativ. Just a different line. Most of the OEM bike manufacturers get the SRAM parts (S-1000, S-800...etc) while aftermarket ones are sold under the Truvativ brand.

-S
  • 01-15-2013
    shawnt2012
    I'm 6'1, I did find the length in 170mm as well.

Im stoked!, putting the order in tomorrow!
  • 01-15-2013
    dirtdan
    You might be happier on a 175mm crank. I know I would be and I'm 5'11"
  • 01-15-2013
    grizzlyplumber
    Don't be scurred of the 180, especially at 6'1. I would be more leery of 170.
  • 01-15-2013
    shawnt2012
    Quote:

Originally Posted by grizzlyplumber View Post
    Don't be scurred of the 180, especially at 6'1. I would be more leery of 170.

I had a good laugh at that ( Cleveland's voice went through my head lol )

But, you guys have me thinking now.

My bike is away now for the winter, but as much as I can remember from this season is... I just got some clipless pedals, and felt a huge difference in the "down pedal", almost like I wasn't getting enough stretch ( had my seat set right ). Maybe I will go for the 180s.