Currently in Exile

New BMX bike, what do I do with it?

I just scored one of these:

I have not ridden BMX in years but I was thinking I could use it to work on some bike handling skills & noodling around in the neighborhood.

Any thoughts on BMX tricks for beginners? I have already been working on bunny hopping & learned awfully quickly that I have been using my clipless pedals to cheat on the MTB. I can't even hop a curb on this thing.

Bonus points for videos.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    VERY basic tricks would be a foot-jam endo, curb endo, manual, bunny hops, etc. From there you can do bunnyhops to footplants, fast plants, etc. Track stands and stuff are also good on BMX bikes.

You may also want to get into pump tracks and even trying riding around a skatepark just to get the feel of pumping and using momentum.

If you get pegs, you can do rear peg wheelies and feeble grinds and such. Maybe even try doing a hang-5.

BMX bikes are fun to use as a momentum tool, bunnyhopping piles of leaves, onto planter boxes and hopping off, etc. It's all about flow with these little bikes, you don't have much in terms of rolling momentum due to the small wheels. Good luck.

Ohh Gnarly!!
    Dion pretty much covered it.Skate parks and pump tracks are alot of fun if they aren't crowded.

YouTube has a ton of videos,but I was having a hard time finding decent ones.Try this for starters and maybe do some more searching later.

BMX Tricks Basic & Beginner BMX Trick Tips & How-Tos With Kevin Porter Ride BMX Magazine

Currently in Exile
    Thanks for the tips & link. I have had trouble finding good how to videos. Not sure how I feel about the foot jam endo. Sounds like it could be hard on the foot being jammed.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    This is a site I like. It covers all styles of trick riding from BMX, Mountain, Trials, and Fixie. They occasionally post how to videos.

PSBMX.com - PlusSizeBMX.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    learning how to pump is my recommendation.

controlling speed using body weight and terrain is one of the biggest beneficial skills I carried over to mtb from my many years riding bmx.

many bmx tracks can be ridden entirely without pedaling if you pump correctly. You can flow most skateparks without every pedaling or touching your brakes, stopping easily by pumping to cut speed or going faster by pumping to accelerate.

With these skills well developed, you can gain speed in mtb situations using muscles other than your already taxed pedaling muscles.

I also recommend learning how to do a bump jump. You can do this with any bike, but bmx bike are tough, so its a good place to start. First, ride at a speed bump and using only your front wheel, jump it, with your back wheel either completely missing the bump or landing on the backside; this might sound strange, but its useful, you really have to push your weight into the front wheel when you hit the bump (use care that you don't go otb). This is my preferred technique for clearing big logs on my mtb; I can get over a log that's about a foot higher than one I could fully bunny hop over and with less effort.

Currently in Exile
    Just re-learned how to pre-load the bike by pushing down to bunny hop. I'm hopping higher but still have a long way to go. I need to find some dirt jumps around here.

Suburban Redneck
    I got back into bmx a little a little last year but put the bike away after I realized the front axle was bent. Took it back out and cleaned/replaced some parts and have been tooling around with the kids. I swear to God this thing (90's Redline RL840) weighs as much as my fs rig. But yes, bunnyhopping it has translated to much more "vertical lift" on the mtb's.
    I'm not big-boned, I'm a Clyde.

Just Ride
    Find some good dirt and build up some jumps. Then get as much air as you can as often as you can till the bike falls apart!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!