mtbr member
    Aug 2013

A New Bike UnBrand

I’ve started this thread to solicit feedback for an idea to create a “new” bicycle brand.

Problem:
    -You want a high quality bike but can’t/won’t throw down $7k at your LBS for the latest (trek, specialized, etc.)
    -You’ve heard great things about the Chinese carbon frames widely available on eBay but don’t like the risk that comes with that purchase and would prefer to deal with a US company that offers a liberal warranty and great customer service.
    -You don’t mind throwing $350 at eBay for one of these frames, but don’t have the time/expertise/desire to build the bike yourself.
    -You’re aware of direct sales brands like Rossetti, but think their branding is cheesy and you’d rather be unbranded and stealthed out.

Idea:
    Create a US based company for direct sales of custom built, unbranded, Chinese carbon bikes.

Approach:
    -Direct sales via a website.
    -Customer service via phone and email.
    -The company would offer a lifetime warranty on the frame including a liberal crash replacement program.
    -All bikes will be built in and shipped from Colorado.
    -A service to custom build a frame sent in by the customer would also be offered.
    -The frames would remain unbranded, or minimally branded with only our logo on the headtube and maybe a web address on a chainstay. Finish would be a matte carbon.
    -Prices would be well below competitors like Rossetti and Stradalli for essentially the same frame, build kit, service and warranty.

Please flame away…..

enjoy the effects of that liberal warranty on cheap chinese junk on your new company.

on your end, you will want to have some quality control assurances from the manufacturer before you decide on your warranty.

B.Ike
    You are describing fezzari's business model, w/out decals.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Just file for bankruptcy now and save a few steps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    Just file for bankruptcy now and save a few steps.
    no, not yet...it would really be cool to be able to track the ETA for the big crash
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

I like bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    enjoy the effects of that liberal warranty on cheap chinese junk on your new company.

on your end, you will want to have some quality control assurances from the manufacturer before you decide on your warranty.
    Kinesis Industry makes frames for Trek, Kona, Felt, Diamondback, Motobecane. It is Taiwan based and has a plant in China. So, your Trek or Felt can have a Made in China sticker on it yet everyone is fine with those brands. People also want to flame Motobecane because it's BikesDirect own brand made by that same company. Those company's have no problems slapping a warranty on their China made frame. Even my GT made in China has a Lifetime frame warranty.
    Karakoram...ZS44, X-Fusion, Freq i23, Tioga's, Shadow & XT,Shim Hydro 180/160, MG-1 pedals & more.

Not all product made in china is the same.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Someone in my area tried that a few years back. Got the $325 light bicycle or similar carbon frame and put stickers on them, then put them up for sale at $1200. Had a web site up and linked it to our local forum. People on the local forum gave the person hell about it and I have not seen or heard about it since.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Not all product made in china is the same.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Not all product made in china is the junk.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Bonus: decals for you already designed.

A New Bike UnBrand-generic-brands.jpg
    A New Bike UnBrand-generic2.jpg
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges