mtbr member
    Jan 2013

new beginner bike trek 6700 or specialized hardrock??

hi,
    i am very new to the mountain bike and looking for the hardtail.
    i went to the local bike shop today to find out what frame size i should get and basic info about mtb.

so it turns out that i need XL frame 21" or something.

i was recommended on this specialized hardrock dics brake for 499.
    and i was another bike trek 3500, which he mentioned that trek has heavier frame.
    and this expensive thing trek 6700 2011 came up. was on sale for $800..? im not sure if it was 700 or 800. anyways, worst case, it will be 850 after tax. i think.
    regular was ~$1300.

so here's my question which one should i get.
    i mean... both bikes well exceed my budget, which is $300.
    i was actually looking for used bike but there isnt so many XL frame on craigslist in my place.

also, the shop i went to seems like only have specialized and trek.

i know there are many good brands like k2, cannondale, norco, and raleigh.

should i go shop around more for clearance bikes or wait for right used bike??
    OR!
    any recommendation?

i used to have trek 4 series i bought as used back in college, i didnt even know the existence of frame size... lol
    but that got stolen...

my plan is to ride on regular basis maybe twice a week at local park wit trails and stuff.
    i know i sound really noob,,, but please help. thank you.

Fat-tired Roadie
    How long have you been watching Craig's List? When I wanted a track bike, I did it that way. I bought it to race, so I was looking for one with "real" track geometry and in my size. Having more constraints made it take longer - I think it took me a few weeks.

Also look for bikes advertised as 21" or 22".

And, make some phone calls. Find out what other shops have. Used sporting goods stores and pawn shops can be another way to stretch a buck.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    if you scope out craigs list for a few weks then you can find really good deals. i just got a bike worth around $1000 for only $375. if you wait a litle and check on craigs list regularly then you will find a good deal

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    hardrock

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    6700. Much better component spec and will last much longer.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My 6700 was a great bike...that's my vote.

mtbr member
    Bikesdirect.com always has great deals if you want new, but I would agree that Craigslist is your best bet, when I'm looking for something on CL I look literally every hour or two as the good deals get scooped up quick.
    Personally I would look for something with a mediocre frame and decent components as opposed to an expensive frame with junk components on it. Good luck in your search

Fat-tired Roadie
    I set up a saved search that only sent me relevant bikes. Good time-saver.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    What about rockhoppers? That was my first and it was plenty of fun and helped me with basic technique and bike maintenance. Also, like said above, they are frequently available on craigslist if you wait long enough.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've tried an older rockhopper that belongs to a family member which is better than the hardrock. The problem is that its too far out of the OP's price range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i just sold mine for 450 and it was a 2011 rockhopper comp. I say if you're gonna get a bike save the extra 100 or so just to open up your options a bit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    thank you all for replying. i am on craigslist about 14hrs a day. lol
    but nothing came up yet. i even search for all the craigslists, like out of state ones just to compare the prices and if they are willing to ship it to me.
    so far, none came up, and now im in more deepcrap. "26 vs. 29er"..... i decided that all these concerns are just not going to get me a bike. so whatever comes up, i'm gonna take it.

however, after reading few articles about bike, im leaning towards to 29er for my purpose.
    im planning on to go to local bike shop to test both 26 and 29 just to get an idea how 29er feels like.
    i dont think it will be so bad.

oh well, now my wishlist are changed to trek mamba, more affordable marlin, specialized rockhoppers, maybe hardrock, gt avalanche 2.0, or gt karakoram 2.0.

i think these 3 companies are all im looking for as of now.
    if i extend my lists more i will prolly never be able to get me a bike.

ps. budget increased to ~$550. whatever, i will fast for awhile.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Have you made offers on anything? People usually list high on Craig's List. I don't think you necessarily need to increase your budget. You can fit a nice old Fisher, Specialized or Cannondale in that figure. Or a newer, initially less nice bike.