Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Never worn baggie shorts... couple questions

I'm a pure XC guy. I don't ride down what I didn't first ride up. I put in more miles on my road bike than my mountain bike. And... I've never worn baggie shorts - ever. I'm so used to spandex that I can't imagine all that material gettin in the way. But this can't be the case - way way too many guys killin downhill trails (way faster than my XC self) for them to be all bad.

So, help me out - what do I look for in baggies? My seat is high - in that optimal XC position... Do I need to worry about getting caught behind the seat on the crotch fabric?

Thanks!
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

~Disc~Golf~
    I don't think baggies really have any advantage other than aesthetics, some pockets and maybe some crash protection because of the tougher fabric.
    If that sounds like something you're missing, get a pair.
    Otherwise, I'd just stick to what you like.
    I ride with baggies and don't have any problems getting getting hung up on the seat. FWIW.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    The main reason is aesthetics and practicality - for neighborhood rides with the kids, etc. Walking around in the spandex at the elementary school... well, you know. But may use them for training rides... the ones that end at the pub.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar
    The main reason is aesthetics and practicality - for neighborhood rides with the kids, etc. Walking around in the spandex at the elementary school... well, you know. But may use them for training rides... the ones that end at the pub.
    Stick with the chamois and just pick up some shorts to go over - I have found north face and columbia to make some shorts that are snug in the right places; much better than any padded baggies that I have tried.

Something like this: http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/w...ariationId=Z74

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar
    Sounds like a great reason to pick up a couple pairs then
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    (every minute your away from your bike) x ( every foot you're away from your bike) x( the number of non cycling enthusiasts in the area)= ghey factor of wearing spandex

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Don't be afraid to wear regular shorts over your lycra. Crotch fabric can be more of an issue depending on the shorts, but for just riding around it's fine. Just my cost effective 2 cents.

Apr 2007
    If you're just going to be riding around the neighborhood in baggies, do you really need to worry about getting caught behind the seat?

I agree with ncfisher and cycleaddict -- just wear some bball shorts over your spandex.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^^^You forgot the training rides that end at the pub.!!^^^

[Hi, my name's] David B. [and all my training rides end at the pub.]

is buachail foighneach me
    If your seat is set to a nice high xc racing position, then yes, many baggies out there will make it more likely to get caught behind the seat. If I were doing training rides that ended at the pub, and didn't want to be hanging out in the pub in spandex, then I would be more likely to shove a pair of lightweight baggy shorts into a plastic bag and then into my jersey pocket or hydration pack, whichever the case may be.

Why are you walking around in spandex at the elementary school? If you're cruising over so that you can cruise home with your kids, then you're probably not going to be in a situation where it's that necessary to get behind the saddle, so just wear whatever,

You may have to look a bit, but baggies do exist that don't snag on the saddle.

I am not looking for the most high performance clothes out there for the bike. All I care about is wicking capability, breathability, durability, and that it doesn't impede riding.

So my #1 criteria is that something be a synthetic fabric. That one's easy. I have some jerseys, but I also have some more t-shirt style shirts I'll wear.

For breathability, a proper jersey works best for me when it's at its hottest. I tend to wear the less breathable t-shirts in spring and fall. I find that full lycra shorts are less breathable than the baggies I use (Pearl Izumi Titan shorts). I like the mesh inner short with the chamois much better than the thicker lycra. The baggy outer short lets air blow up my shorts when I'm moving.

Where I live and ride, trailside vegetation frequently tries to grab you. I like not worrying about that with a more durable nylon baggy short as compared to lycra.

As for not impeding riding, you've gotta be picky with baggies. Some will snag on the saddle. I have an older pair of baggies that do. That's why I don't really wear them except when my others are really rank and need a wash.

And yeah, when cruising around, I usually don't worry about what I'm wearing on the bike. I only care about what I'm wearing afterwards when post-ride includes a stop somewhere without a good opportunity to change.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    mosquitoes can bite through spandex, but can't bite through spandex and baggies... same reason i also wear loose jerseys. and bug spray.

i always wear baggies offroad, and never had them snag on the saddle.

d00bie
    I havent had a problem yet at all up or downhill with my Fox shorts. I love them, super comfortable, and a chamois that comes apart so i can wear them seperate, lounge in the shorts themselves, or wear them both while i ride which i always do!

mtbr member
    the only baggies i can tolerate are the gore brand ones. not too hot and not like wearing a diaper. a lot of people like the hoss shorts but i think they are complete crap. spandex is all good. or just wear a liner under some board shorts.

I have a couple pairs of Oakley baggies that I got for a really good price. I like the protection factor as well the fact that I'm stick thin and look like a complete tool in tight spandex. I also like the idea of having my legs covered when riding tight singletrack through heavy vegetation. I've actually had a 5 foot long section of pricker vine tear into my shorts and detach from the tree. That would have been quite painful with bare skin.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The Pearl Izumi impact shorts are nice and have lots of stretch.The're also light and I've only snagged once.

mtbr member
    There was a thread recently "Not so baggy Baggies" where the OP wanted something that wouldn't snag on the saddle. If I was better at searches I'd find it for you, but I'm limited to following all the photos submitted by dogonfr.

Personally, I never get caught up on the saddle so I think this is more of a concern for people that have never worn them.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodyknee
    There was a thread recently "Not so baggy Baggies" where the OP wanted something that wouldn't snag on the saddle. If I was better at searches I'd find it for you, but I'm limited to following all the photos submitted by dogonfr.

Personally, I never get caught up on the saddle so I think this is more of a concern for people that have never worn them.

Or not, since I've worn plenty of baggies in my life and still find them to catch behind the saddle...

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    I find they catch the saddle, also here in the UK it tends to be pretty wet and therefor very muddy, the mud gets up your baggies leg and acts as a grinding paste between your thighs and the short's material. VERY uncomfortable.

Baggies for pooteling on the seafront, Lycra for proper riding

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I usually wear baggies because they offer more protection than lycra and have pockets. I can usually care less about how aerodynamic I am and I don't have any problems with my shorts catching on my seat. I have a pair of not very fancy Specialized shorts that aren't too baggy and a pair of too fancy and too baggy Hoss shorts. I like them both.

Lycra is good for when its hot and I'm not too worried about crashing though.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I wouldn't be caught dead in "Faggie Baggies"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Statistically,at least 4% of Mtbr readers are homosexual. I personally am happily married to a chick.Why relate to those people in such a negative way?? It must suck for them to be related to in a negative way in so many posts.These people are on our team.They ride bikes.Give them a break.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by frikka
    Statistically,at least 4% of Mtbr readers are homosexual. I personally am happily married to a chick.Why relate to those people in such a negative way?? It must suck for them to be related to in a negative way in so many posts.These people are on our team.They ride bikes.Give them a break.
    Yeah, plus pink lycra is waaay faggier than any baggies.

Quote Originally Posted by frikka

Maybe he thinks baggie shorts look like a bundle of twigs, or a cigarette butt, or a subservient English school boy(in a non-homosexual way). Why should those 4% of MTBR readers get to steal a word? 'sides, I would be willing to bet that at least 70% of MTBR readers fit the bill.

SBT
    mtbr member
    Under Armour and Nike golf shorts. Light, cool, and stretchy.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...rt/1207968-261

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...rt/1201015-002

Not a fan of Nike's offerings this summer, though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast