Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Never worn baggie shorts... couple questions

I'm a pure XC guy. I don't ride down what I didn't first ride up. I put in more miles on my road bike than my mountain bike. And... I've never worn baggie shorts - ever. I'm so used to spandex that I can't imagine all that material gettin in the way. But this can't be the case - way way too many guys killin downhill trails (way faster than my XC self) for them to be all bad.

So, help me out - what do I look for in baggies? My seat is high - in that optimal XC position... Do I need to worry about getting caught behind the seat on the crotch fabric?

Thanks!
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

~Disc~Golf~
    I don't think baggies really have any advantage other than aesthetics, some pockets and maybe some crash protection because of the tougher fabric.
    If that sounds like something you're missing, get a pair.
    Otherwise, I'd just stick to what you like.
    I ride with baggies and don't have any problems getting getting hung up on the seat. FWIW.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    The main reason is aesthetics and practicality - for neighborhood rides with the kids, etc. Walking around in the spandex at the elementary school... well, you know. But may use them for training rides... the ones that end at the pub.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar
    The main reason is aesthetics and practicality - for neighborhood rides with the kids, etc. Walking around in the spandex at the elementary school... well, you know. But may use them for training rides... the ones that end at the pub.
    Stick with the chamois and just pick up some shorts to go over - I have found north face and columbia to make some shorts that are snug in the right places; much better than any padded baggies that I have tried.

Something like this: http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/w...ariationId=Z74

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar
    Sounds like a great reason to pick up a couple pairs then

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    (every minute your away from your bike) x ( every foot you're away from your bike) x( the number of non cycling enthusiasts in the area)= ghey factor of wearing spandex

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Don't be afraid to wear regular shorts over your lycra. Crotch fabric can be more of an issue depending on the shorts, but for just riding around it's fine. Just my cost effective 2 cents.

Apr 2007
    If you're just going to be riding around the neighborhood in baggies, do you really need to worry about getting caught behind the seat?

I agree with ncfisher and cycleaddict -- just wear some bball shorts over your spandex.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^^^You forgot the training rides that end at the pub.!!^^^

[Hi, my name's] David B. [and all my training rides end at the pub.]

is buachail foighneach me
    If your seat is set to a nice high xc racing position, then yes, many baggies out there will make it more likely to get caught behind the seat. If I were doing training rides that ended at the pub, and didn't want to be hanging out in the pub in spandex, then I would be more likely to shove a pair of lightweight baggy shorts into a plastic bag and then into my jersey pocket or hydration pack, whichever the case may be.

Why are you walking around in spandex at the elementary school? If you're cruising over so that you can cruise home with your kids, then you're probably not going to be in a situation where it's that necessary to get behind the saddle, so just wear whatever,

since 4/10/2009
    You may have to look a bit, but baggies do exist that don't snag on the saddle.

I am not looking for the most high performance clothes out there for the bike. All I care about is wicking capability, breathability, durability, and that it doesn't impede riding.

So my #1 criteria is that something be a synthetic fabric. That one's easy. I have some jerseys, but I also have some more t-shirt style shirts I'll wear.

For breathability, a proper jersey works best for me when it's at its hottest. I tend to wear the less breathable t-shirts in spring and fall. I find that full lycra shorts are less breathable than the baggies I use (Pearl Izumi Titan shorts). I like the mesh inner short with the chamois much better than the thicker lycra. The baggy outer short lets air blow up my shorts when I'm moving.

Where I live and ride, trailside vegetation frequently tries to grab you. I like not worrying about that with a more durable nylon baggy short as compared to lycra.

As for not impeding riding, you've gotta be picky with baggies. Some will snag on the saddle. I have an older pair of baggies that do. That's why I don't really wear them except when my others are really rank and need a wash.

And yeah, when cruising around, I usually don't worry about what I'm wearing on the bike. I only care about what I'm wearing afterwards when post-ride includes a stop somewhere without a good opportunity to change.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    mosquitoes can bite through spandex, but can't bite through spandex and baggies... same reason i also wear loose jerseys. and bug spray.

i always wear baggies offroad, and never had them snag on the saddle.

d00bie
    I havent had a problem yet at all up or downhill with my Fox shorts. I love them, super comfortable, and a chamois that comes apart so i can wear them seperate, lounge in the shorts themselves, or wear them both while i ride which i always do!

mtbr member
    the only baggies i can tolerate are the gore brand ones. not too hot and not like wearing a diaper. a lot of people like the hoss shorts but i think they are complete crap. spandex is all good. or just wear a liner under some board shorts.

I have a couple pairs of Oakley baggies that I got for a really good price. I like the protection factor as well the fact that I'm stick thin and look like a complete tool in tight spandex. I also like the idea of having my legs covered when riding tight singletrack through heavy vegetation. I've actually had a 5 foot long section of pricker vine tear into my shorts and detach from the tree. That would have been quite painful with bare skin.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The Pearl Izumi impact shorts are nice and have lots of stretch.The're also light and I've only snagged once.

mtbr member
    There was a thread recently "Not so baggy Baggies" where the OP wanted something that wouldn't snag on the saddle. If I was better at searches I'd find it for you, but I'm limited to following all the photos submitted by dogonfr.

Personally, I never get caught up on the saddle so I think this is more of a concern for people that have never worn them.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodyknee
    There was a thread recently "Not so baggy Baggies" where the OP wanted something that wouldn't snag on the saddle. If I was better at searches I'd find it for you, but I'm limited to following all the photos submitted by dogonfr.

Personally, I never get caught up on the saddle so I think this is more of a concern for people that have never worn them.

Or not, since I've worn plenty of baggies in my life and still find them to catch behind the saddle...

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    I find they catch the saddle, also here in the UK it tends to be pretty wet and therefor very muddy, the mud gets up your baggies leg and acts as a grinding paste between your thighs and the short's material. VERY uncomfortable.

Baggies for pooteling on the seafront, Lycra for proper riding

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I usually wear baggies because they offer more protection than lycra and have pockets. I can usually care less about how aerodynamic I am and I don't have any problems with my shorts catching on my seat. I have a pair of not very fancy Specialized shorts that aren't too baggy and a pair of too fancy and too baggy Hoss shorts. I like them both.

Lycra is good for when its hot and I'm not too worried about crashing though.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I wouldn't be caught dead in "Faggie Baggies"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Statistically,at least 4% of Mtbr readers are homosexual. I personally am happily married to a chick.Why relate to those people in such a negative way?? It must suck for them to be related to in a negative way in so many posts.These people are on our team.They ride bikes.Give them a break.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by frikka
    Statistically,at least 4% of Mtbr readers are homosexual. I personally am happily married to a chick.Why relate to those people in such a negative way?? It must suck for them to be related to in a negative way in so many posts.These people are on our team.They ride bikes.Give them a break.
    Yeah, plus pink lycra is waaay faggier than any baggies.

Maybe he thinks baggie shorts look like a bundle of twigs, or a cigarette butt, or a subservient English school boy(in a non-homosexual way). Why should those 4% of MTBR readers get to steal a word? 'sides, I would be willing to bet that at least 70% of MTBR readers fit the bill.

SBT
    mtbr member
    Under Armour and Nike golf shorts. Light, cool, and stretchy.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...rt/1207968-261

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...rt/1201015-002

Not a fan of Nike's offerings this summer, though.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Faggy baggies is a great term. Few things piss of my homophobic friends who refuse to put on spandex then that term.

Take a deep breath before you scold me for my term, I am not making fun of who you think I am. (Of course these things don't come across the same on the internet).

~Disc~Golf~
    Statistically,at least 4% of Mtbr readers are homosexual..
    no, they're all on RBR

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    Faggy baggies is a great term. Few things piss of my homophobic friends who refuse to put on spandex then that term.
    I love it when douchebags like you use the logical fallacy that one must be "homophobic" if they feel wearing spandex only riding shorts is effeminate. Not every guy wears banana hammocks or speedo type bathing suits. They must be homophobic according to you.
    How about the guy that doesn't like wearing skirts or dresses. How about makeup? Is he homophobic too?
    I like to have sex with women and not men...Does that make me homophobic?
    Some guys just inherently know some things are not masculine and spandex is not masculine in a lot of guys opinion. But I guess it is easier for you to convince yourself that you do not look feminine in spandex by calling others who think you look odd, Homophobic!
    I suppose if you posted up pictures of you and another guy making out and some of us replied that you were gay, you would say we were homophobic huh? I mean if your lame logic works for you I guess I can get on board with it...

Ride Instigator
    I wear gym shorts over lycra sometimes if I want to go with the non-bike geek look, or any other shorts for that matter. Just a note, cotton jean shorts over lycra on a hot humid day is NOT comfortable. My favorite MTB baggies with built in chamois are Hoss Ponderosa, reasonably priced too

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Chill out man. I am just joking around.

That being said spandex is the correct tool for the job. I ride 300 to 500km a week if I wore baggies my arse would bleed. (As I discover when I as younger and too worried about looking "gay" to wear spandex).

If you are willing to sacrifice comfort for fashion, so be it. Just don't have hairy conniption fit when I tease you about.

Quote Originally Posted by EATmySHORTZ
    I love it when douchebags like you use the logical fallacy that one must be "homophobic" if they feel wearing spandex only riding shorts is effeminate. Not every guy wears banana hammocks or speedo type bathing suits. They must be homophobic according to you.
    How about the guy that doesn't like wearing skirts or dresses. How about makeup? Is he homophobic too?
    Some guys just inherently know some things are not masculine and spandex is not masculine in a lot of guys opinion. But I guess it is easier for you to convince yourself that you do not look feminine in spandex by calling others who think you look odd, Homophobic!
    I suppose if you posted up pictures of you and another guy making out and some of us replied that you were gay, you would say we were homophobic huh? I mean if your lame logic works for you I guess I can get on board with it...

I've yet to meet someone who thought riding in spandex was 'not masculine' enough for them, but didn't also LOVE watching 200-300lb muscular dudes tackling each other while wearing spandex knickers and chasing an oblong ball down a field. Bonus points for them slapping each other's asses.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    I've yet to meet someone who thought riding in spandex was 'not masculine' enough for them, but didn't also LOVE watching 200-300lb muscular dudes tackling each other while wearing spandex knickers and chasing an oblong ball down a field. Bonus points for them slapping each other's asses.
    Well I guess you need to get out more. Sorry but I don't "LOVE" football so I guess your wrong. Nor do I like baseball and nor do I like competitive sports in general... But I do love how you are working that "homosexual" reference in to the argument. Very typical and I can play along...
    I would wear spandex if I was getting paid 100 of thousands of dollars a year but on my everyday rides I choose regular surf trunks with padded liners. I never get my shorts hung on the seat ever. You are more than welcome to wear spandex or a pink tutu or a set of crotchless panties if you desire. But some people think it's queer to do so all the while not being afraid of homosexual spandex bike riders...

Well congrats then, because you're the first. Refusing to do something that is far and away more efficient for the activity at hand simply because you think it will make you look 'less masculine' or 'queer' isn't necessarily homophobia, but it's close. Getting verbally abusive and feeling the need to make sure everyone knows that you have sex with women, not men, when someone refers to something you do as faggy definitely makes it 'look' like you're trying to hide something.

Just back in from a ride in my effeminate spandex. I do own several pairs of faggy baggies though, and do occasionally wear them.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Some guys just inherently know some things are not masculine and spandex is not masculine in a lot of guys opinion.
    I could argue that sacrificing comfort for style is as far from masculine as you can get. Wearing baggies is like wearing high heal shoes.

Not that there is anything wrong with wearing high heel shoes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I could argue that sacrificing comfort for style is as far from masculine as you can get. Wearing baggies is like wearing high heal shoes.

Not that there is anything wrong with wearing high heel shoes.
    You could argue all you want such a stupid stateent but you assume incorrectly that it is proven that lycra is better than baggies!
    So where is this mythical study that shows that wearing baggies with liners is less comfortable than wearing lycra alone. Talk about a huge farce and now your reaching.
    Personally I wear high heel shoes all the time in the privacy of my own home but I would never wear lycra out in public cause that's just ghey!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Well congrats then, because you're the first. Refusing to do something that is far and away more efficient for the activity at hand ...

Far and away more efficient? Prove it. Show me one scientific study proving such.
    I await your failure to prove it and your subsequent insinuation that I am either homophobic or homosexual!

Refusing to do something that is far and away more efficient for the activity at hand simply because you think it will make you look 'less masculine' or 'queer' isn't necessarily homophobia, but it's close.
    Did you really just say that???
    You compare personal preference to actual homophobia??!!! You need some help!

And once again since your arguments are so weak you imply homophobia or homosexualtiy. Fukin' laughable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    To the OP:
    A cheaper option is to use surf baggies with some sore of padded liner. Pearl Izumi and Sugoi are 2 companies that make specific liners to be worn under shorts. They are very breathable and supportive.
    I have found that snagage comes more from the seat shape and not the shorts. Or poor technique.

I also use the Hoss Stallion shorts which are good and have never snagged. Not the highest quality but still decent. Lots of excellent options out there.
    As far as heat regulation, well I ride with armor most of the time even in Moab and Fruita and Grand Junction as well and the last thing I ever think about is how hot I get with a thin nylon layer over my liners.

I guess you need to decide why you want baggies. I have not experienced any loss of performance with lined baggies and I do it all from high intensity DH to all day XC.
    And remember, just because you choose baggies doesn't mean you hate gay people...

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You could argue all you want such a stupid stateent but you assume incorrectly that it is proven that lycra is better than baggies!
    So where is this mythical study that shows that wearing baggies with liners is less comfortable than wearing lycra alone. Talk about a huge farce and now your reaching.
    Personally I wear high heel shoes all the time in the privacy of my own home but I would never wear lycra out in public cause that's just ghey!
    Come and spend two weeks riding with me and then tell me as blood and puss is pouring from your taint how comfortable your baggies are.

I don't where spandex because I want everyone to see how big my junk is. I wear it because I like to ride my bike a lot and an extra layer with a seam between my taint and the seat is going to cause pain.

Maybe if instead of prancing around your house in high heels you rode your bike a bit more you would understand.

...So where is this mythical study that shows that wearing baggies with liners is less comfortable than wearing lycra alone. Talk about a huge farce and now your reaching.....

Noone said they were more comfortable. Sweatpants are more comfortable than either. Baggies restrict movement more, are generally heavier, more likely to snag on branches(and saddles at xc racing height) and they collect more mud. They are less efficient for xc mountain biking. If you need a mythical study to tell you that, you must be bi.

Far and away more efficient? Prove it. Show me one scientific study proving such. ......

You want a scientific study from me, but a mythical study from the Canadian? Why do you hate the Canadian scientific community?

And despite what LMN says, I definitely wear lycra so that everyone can see how big my junk is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Noone said they were more comfortable. Sweatpants are more comfortable than either. Baggies restrict movement more, are generally heavier, more likely to snag on branches(and saddles at xc racing height) and they collect more mud. They are less efficient for xc mountain biking. If you need a mythical study to tell you that, you must be bi.
    OK show me the study that proves that baggies with lycra liners are at a performance loss.
    Show me! Quit stalling and show me proof not conjecture and sexual preference inuendo's!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You want a scientific study from me, but a mythical study from the Canadian? Why do you hate the Canadian scientific community?

And despite what LMN says, I definitely wear lycra so that everyone can see how big my junk is.
    Cause all Canadians are homophobic homosexuals!

Show me any study mythical, scientific or otherwise! Show me! Quit stalling!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Come and spend two weeks riding with me and then tell me as blood and puss is pouring from your taint how comfortable your baggies are.
    Hey man, I would prefer you keep you sick fantasies about what you want to do to me to yourself!

Well if I had known you were Canadian I wouldn't have even bothered responding.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Do you wear pink spandex? Because nothing displays your junk like pink spandex. But you know the rule with pink, you can only wear it if you are Italian and great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Do you wear pink spandex? Because nothing displays your junk like pink spandex. But you know the rule with pink, you can only wear it if you are Italian and great.
    You guys should go on a "ride" together!

Oh and where is that conclusive proof!

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Show me any study mythical, scientific or otherwise! Show me! Quit stalling!

100 profesional cyclist with a Vo2 max of 75 plus or minus 5, an average weight of 67kg, with CLT of 130+ were given the following survey.

You choose spandex over baggies because:
    a) At your first ride you were mocked for wearing "faggy baggies"
    b) Prominently displaying your junk helps with picking up chicks.
    c) You wore baggies once on a 10hr ride and got a second whole in your arse.

So far the studies seem to indicate that you are right.

96% of responds chose option a, 2% chose option b, and 1% chose option c.

Although there is a strong statical evidence that being bullied has led to the wearing of spandex a larger sample group made up of both professional and recreational "spandex wearing cyclist" is warranted.

On special occasions I wear my lavender spandex bibs with white stars all over them. Yes, I'm being serious.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    On special occasions I wear my lavender spandex bibs with white stars all over them. Yes, I'm being serious.
    Nice!!!

I have all white long sleeve skin suit I bust out from time to time for skin suit Saturdays.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    100 profesional cyclist with a Vo2 max of 75 plus or minus 5, an average weight of 67kg, with CLT of 130+ were given the following survey.

You choose spandex over baggies because:
    a) At your first ride you were mocked for wearing "faggy baggies"
    b) Prominently displaying your junk helps with picking up chicks.
    c) You wore baggies once on a 10hr ride and got a second whole in your arse.

So far the studies seem to indicate that you are right.

96% of responds chose option a, 2% chose option b, and 1% chose option c.

Although there is a strong statical evidence that being bullied has led to the wearing of spandex a larger sample group made up of both professional and recreational "spandex wearing cyclist" is warranted.

So in other words you got nothing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast