mtbr member

Nevegal vs. Hans Dampf

I'm riding the stock Nevegal 2.1's that came with my new ride. They feel great on climbs and at slower speeds when cornering but the front tire feels pretty loose when cornering at speed. I haven't completely washed out the front end yet but I think that is more a function of feeling it start to go that route and slowing down before it happens. I don't think this is a confidence or technique problem as I have never encountered the issue in the past. I was running a WildGrppr 2.4 on my old ride and those felt amazing in corners at speed. The problem with that tire is that it is pretty bulky and heavy.

I've heard a lot of great things about the Hans Dampf...wondering if anyone runs an HD 2.35 up front and a Nevegal 2.1 in the rear and how that works for them. Or maybe some of you run the Nevegal up front with better grip results than I am experiencing and maybe it is a function of rider error lol ?

EDIT: A little more info --I ride a decent variety of terrain, from XC/trail to lift served on the same bike/setup.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    I have been using the HD trailstar 2.35 on the front for a year now - loving it for the variable conditions that I ride (wet/dry roots, wet/dry loam, wet/dry rocks). It has similar rolling resistance to the nevegals (ie fairly slow) which is why I only run it up front. It does not wash out at speed the way nevegals do.

For the rear I am really happy w a Nobby Nic - again, way more confidence inspiring at speed then the nevegals.

mtbr member
    Interesting. Thanks 006! Sounds like this is a common complaint about the Nevegals. I ride similar conditions to you, minus the loam, so I think I will check out the HD on the front and see how it feels with the Nevegal in the rear. Might have to check out a NN for the rear at some point too but I think I'll wait on that until the Nevegal is dunzo because it does feel pretty good in the rear.
    2011 Trance x1

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Try running full size tires, at least on 26" wheels. I run 2.5 nevegals & blue grooves, very few corning issues. I don't even run little 2.1's even on the rear, ha.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    HD's are a great front tire for all purpose. I still love Maxxis Minions for when it gets really loose. The kevlar bead Maxxis is pretty light for a 2.5"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap View Post
    Try running full size tires, at least on 26" wheels. I run 2.5 nevegals & blue grooves, very few corning issues. I don't even run little 2.1's even on the rear, ha.
    They came stock on the bike...figured I'd give 'em a whirl before I purchased new rubber. My old set up was 2.4F and 2.35R, Michelin WildGrppr's. Good grip, but too heavy.
    2011 Trance x1

mtbr member
    Before you spend any money and since you're about ready to trash the Nevs. Search for the Steve Peat mod on the Nevegal, completely changes how the tire feels at speed.

Basically you just cut out the intermediate knobs that are connected at the base to the center knobs. Cut out all the knobs on both sides that have the horizontal sipe running through them. Gives the tire a nice hook to lean on when cornering at speed. Helps a lot with tactile feedback as well.

Not saying the HDs wont be an improvement but the Nevegal mod is free.

mtbr member
    Just searched that mod GTscoob. I might try it out, thanks.
    2011 Trance x1

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just like user "006_007" I ride Hans Dampf in the front and Nobby Nic's in the rear. Makes for a great combo.

If I know I'm going to be doing mostly gnarly down hill stuff I'll put both Hans Dampfs on. However, when I'm doing more XC/Trail style riding I'll add the Nobby nic on the rear. Better for going faster and it reduces the weight.

HD's are pretty darn heavy tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidSpin View Post
    Just like user "006_007" I ride Hans Dampf in the front and Nobby Nic's in the rear. Makes for a great combo.

If I know I'm going to be doing mostly gnarly down hill stuff I'll put both Hans Dampfs on. However, when I'm doing more XC/Trail style riding I'll add the Nobby nic on the rear. Better for going faster and it reduces the weight.

HD's are pretty darn heavy tires.
    Well, the 2.35 "performance line" HDs are 760g, whereas my old WildGrip'r 2.4's were like 1200g. I figure that is a pretty noticeable drop in weight and if I can get similar cornering traction out of the HDs then I will be pretty dang happy.
    2011 Trance x1

Ninja Master Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzaboom View Post
    Well, the 2.35 "performance line" HDs are 760g, whereas my old WildGrip'r 2.4's were like 1200g. I figure that is a pretty noticeable drop in weight and if I can get similar cornering traction out of the HDs then I will be pretty dang happy.
    I run HD's Trail star compound front and rear on my Nomad and love them.

I recently bought some HD Performance compound for my sons Nomad. Totally different tire. They basically suck. They slide out, the knobs tear off the rear slips a lot on loose climbs etc.

In contrast I'm at maybe 850-900 miles on the trail stars with no problems.
    The rear slips occasionally if I'm really mashing on a steep loose climb but nothing like the performance compound.

The performance compound tires have two rides on them and they are coming off to be replaced with trail star compound.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap View Post
    Try running full size tires, at least on 26" wheels. I run 2.5 nevegals & blue grooves, very few corning issues.
    That's blasphemy. Everyone knows those only work in a straight line!
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    That's blasphemy. Everyone knows those only work in a straight line!
    As everyone knows, turning a bike takes extra energy & is tough on the outside tread on tires. Other than dropping off an unscheduled cliff or 2, & a few encounters with trees, straight lines are the best for me!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I too ride Hans Dampf in front and Nobby Nic in the rear. Now that the dry season is here I have swapped to Nobby Nic front with Rocket Ron rear.

The Hans is an outstanding front tire, a little slow in the rear but the grip is mad.