Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Neurologist says bike helmets are useless

I apologize if this has already made the round (I took a quick look and didn't see it pop up...). A UK neurologist claims that helmets are too flimsy to provide any real protection (think he is talking road riding) and the article even claims there is research that shows cars drive closer to helmeted riders.

Cycle helmets are useless, says brain surgeon - Telegraph

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I stopped using one on the road. I just mine on the trails or for bike demos(where they demand you have one).

I didn't do it
    Hmmm, I'll have to see the data.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Same newspaper: 9 out of 10 dentists recommend hockey.
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Awesome. I think you should stop wearing one.

mtbr member
    I just logged on to post this article but you beat me to it. I'm not sure about the scientific data but it won't change my wearing a helmet.

74 & 29 pilot
    What an IDIOT!
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I want that three inch gap back. I am ditching my helmet.......

Love the photo where the brain surgeon is putting on the helmet in an incorrect position.

I hope the kids are not listening to what this guy is saying.......

mtbr member
    That article proves that even a neurosurgeon can be a total idiot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I've smacked my head on the ground and cracked my helmet. I ended up with some facial scrapes and a minor headache. I think I'll keep wearing my helmet.

mtbr member
    This neurosurgeon obviously has not pushed the envelope when it comes to cycling.

Type A
    Our entire sport is a calculated risk. God forbid you're not wearing a helmet and every mountain biker you come across has to comment upon it. Keep your opinions to yourself. If you won't go up to another total stranger and give them life tips then don't do it to other mountain bikers either. Most rational people think that riding a mountain bike is really dangerous and stupid, yet you continue to do it. Someone who isn't wearing a helmet is doing the same thing as you, it's just that their acceptable risk level is higher than yours. Feel free to think it's stupid, which it is, but keep it to yourself.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhillthruthewoods View Post
    Our entire sport is a calculated risk. God forbid you're not wearing a helmet and every mountain biker you come across has to comment upon it. Keep your opinions to yourself. If you won't go up to another total stranger and give them life tips then don't do it to other mountain bikers either. Most rational people think that riding a mountain bike is really dangerous and stupid, yet you continue to do it. Someone who isn't wearing a helmet is doing the same thing as you, it's just that their acceptable risk level is higher than yours. Feel free to think it's stupid, which it is, but keep it to yourself.
    Yeah right.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by youngstrom View Post
    I apologize if this has already made the round (I took a quick look and didn't see it pop up...). A UK neurologist claims that helmets are too flimsy to provide any real protection (think he is talking road riding) and the article even claims there is research that shows cars drive closer to helmeted riders.

Cycle helmets are useless, says brain surgeon - Telegraph
    Do you wear a helmet?

If you do, will that article change your views on wearing a helmet?

This research into how close a car drives to a cyclist has too many variables.

Width of the road, cyclists position on the road, traffic coming the other way, who is riding the bike, who is driving the car, etc.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Hmmm, I'll have to see the data.
    Well you'll have a hard time finding it because the doctor mentioned didn't do any research of his own. He was speaking at an arts festival and mentioned his opinion that his patients' helmets are too flimsy. He then cited a study that investigated correlation between passing distance and whether the cyclist being passed has a helmet, and backed that up with his own personal story of riding to work every day. This story was so poorly written that it would have been better not written at all.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    No brain, no pain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've needed my helmet only a few times...that I can remember.

mtbr member
    Well, if you wear it like the dill-hole on the page -

Neurologist says bike helmets are useless-helmet_2927069b.jpg

Then yes, the helmet is worthless.

This headline and article show me again, that degrees, and education do NOT ALWAYS MEAN SOMEONE IS SMART.

A degree is training. That is it. OUTSIDE of that training, you are pretty much dumb. People think just because someone is a lawyer, doctor, neurosurgeon, or whatever - that they suddenly are to be admired and believed in EVERYTHING they say.

I do heating and air conditioning. I LOVE the lawyers and doctors who flat out say "I have no idea how these things work" and don't even attempt to impress me with their wiki-degree on a thermodynamic system. They have their specialized training, and are (hopefully) good at it. Outside of that, their degree means nothing to me. That point is proven by this article.

If he wanted to actually be intelligent - he would try to find out if "all of those injuries from someone wearing a helmet" had a helmet on properly.
    That's like putting a seat belt on, but removing the shoulder strap, and disengaging the locking mechanism. "Seat belts don't do anything!" NO kidding. It is not being used properly. Again, if the idiot pictured on the web page is any indication of how people are wearing helmets, I have no doubt that wearing the helmet (as shown) does absolutely nothing!!

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Well, if you wear it like the dill-hole on the page -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	helmet_2927069b.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	897510

Then yes, the helmet is worthless.

This headline and article show me again, that degrees, and education do NOT ALWAYS MEAN SOMEONE IS SMART.

A degree is training. That is it. OUTSIDE of that training, you are pretty much dumb. People think just because someone is a lawyer, doctor, neurosurgeon, or whatever - that they suddenly are to be admired and believed in EVERYTHING they say.

I do heating and air conditioning. I LOVE the lawyers and doctors who flat out say "I have no idea how these things work" and don't even attempt to impress me with their wiki-degree on a thermodynamic system. They have their specialized training, and are (hopefully) good at it. Outside of that, their degree means nothing to me. That point is proven by this article.

If he wanted to actually be intelligent - he would try to find out if "all of those injuries from someone wearing a helmet" had a helmet on properly.
    That's like putting a seat belt on, but removing the shoulder strap, and disengaging the locking mechanism. "Seat belts don't do anything!" NO kidding. It is not being used properly. Again, if the idiot pictured on the web page is any indication of how people are wearing helmets, I have no doubt that wearing the helmet (as shown) does absolutely nothing!!
    WTF, that looks like a kids helmet that guy is putting on. No sh!t that helmet doesn't work. Anyway, the doc is a douche for even implying that helmets are not beneficial.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    Well you'll have a hard time finding it because the doctor mentioned didn't do any research of his own. He was speaking at an arts festival and mentioned his opinion that his patients' helmets are too flimsy. He then cited a study that investigated correlation between passing distance and whether the cyclist being passed has a helmet, and backed that up with his own personal story of riding to work every day. This story was so poorly written that it would have been better not written at all.
    I noticed that, just very limited anecdotal evidence.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Elitest thrill junkie
    1 neurologist?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Doc needs a new car
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

pin it
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	helmet_2927069b.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	897510
    That's a solid haircut... looks amazing in that helmet.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    That's a solid haircut... looks amazing in that helmet.
    I can't believe it's not butteh.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

It's about showing up.
    When I grow up I want to be a neurologizer, too!
    I don't rattle.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast