Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    ^ You lost me @ special underwear.

What makes them so special? Shart resistant, methane filtered, self-cleaning, our do they transport you to another solar system?

Back to the show...

(tapa)

OT... but fire resistant Nomex. Not the most breathable, but should a fire come up it makes a difference. I have a friend who had fire in his car. He needed pig skin graft on the back of his neck due to the fire. Everywhere else was fine since the nomex clothing did it's job. He decided to skip the nomex balaclava that session and paid the price. When I suit up the only place of exposed skin is a small are around my mouth and eyes. I have tried, but I can breath well through nomex balaclava so I pull it down below my mouth. I do increase the risk, but at least I can breath. Even in racing there is a balance of safety gear and debate about what to wear vs the risk and how roll cage design can help or hurt depending on a specific incident.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Trail Prospector
    OT2 - Appreciate the good intel to my wiseazz inquiry.

(tapa)
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    fire proof undies is definitely a great invention. We should make it available to the masses after a good Santa Fe dinner.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    I can't imagine you're advancing the idea that as long as people realize they do not care about endangering themselves and others, that makes it good and right?
    If that is true, it certainly makes it reality, but I have to doubt many people think of such a mentality as positive...
    It's not clear to me what you are trying to say here, but in the video, the guy is trying to make the point of how bad and dangerous cars are, as if he had some secret breaking news that the government is trying to hide from us. (or something..)

My post was just pointing out that it is not a secret. We all know that people die in cars. I happened to know the statistics for the U.S before he even mentioned them in the video. We all know we take a small risk by getting in a car.
    Do I think it's ok that we understand and accept the risk to ourselves and others, in exchange for the benefit of motor vehicle travel? Yes, of course. And so do you, if you drive a car.

mtbr member
    i wonder why they wear helmets in the tour de france. dont they know that they are useless and will only slow them down and make them hot?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Neurologist says bike helmets are useless

Quote Originally Posted by bigfruits View Post
    i wonder why they wear helmets in the tour de france. dont they know that they are useless and will only slow them down and make them hot?
    Do you watch it at all? They fall on their heads... a lot. A couple have even been hit by cars.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

No. Just No. Moderator
    Adoption and use of helmets by pro roadies is an interesting topic actually, and as a group they certainly didn't transition willingly. However, with some years of water under the bridge I wonder how many of them would revert back to optional helmet use, or optional only with mountain top finishes which was the final evolution of the helmetless era?

A large number of current pros now will have only known racing in helmets as the generation has rolled through, although if you see pics of pro teams out for training rides you can still often catch some of them not wearing helmets, especially in colder seasons, opting to wear toques instead.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I don't understand how bike racks and helmets have anything to do with each other.. Are we supposed to ride our mountain bikes 20 miles to the trailhead? That's like going on a road trip with a dirt bike.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Could be he's promoting the idea of getting a workout by lifting your bike on to / off of the rack everyday so 'we' can eliminate gym memberships.

The real beauty of this is we don't have to ride the bike, just take with. Lifting it is all that is needed to join the club !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
    I wonder if he thought about all the undocumented cases of people who did not have to visit him in the hospital?
    Because they died from a head injury while not wearing a helmet.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post

So for those who are waiting for data to provide proof, wear a helmet while you are waiting, based on scientific modeling, experimentation, and common sense. If that is not enough reason for you, then perhaps there is something to the theory of herd thinning.
    All good and relevant points in the post, the last part here just gets me thinking the lack of data isn't convincing them to wait, it's just allowing them a sliver of cover for the time being.

Taking on an inherently risky endeavor ought to help us realize additional risks mean more opportunity to be injured, incapacitated or killed. I don't dwell on it but for ****sake, my family knows I care enough to take some sensible precautions.
    IMO, doing otherwise is arrogant and selfish.
    There is nothing remotely intelligent about using lack of data to prove to others what you don't know intrinsically.

Bike helmets have become better and will continue to do so. Anyone who has perused info on motorcycle helmets will see the advances there as well. Expanded polystyrene (EPS) is used in both and although you can't say the two helmets are a 1:1 protection ratio, Impact absorption performance (for EPS) is very well tested and proven.

To say that helmets create danger or do nothing to protect or reduce injury is irresponsible at best and borders on grave liability.

It won't hurt to review intrinsic knowledge and by the way ....

It's A BIKE STORY !!

An example for intrinsic knowledge can be represented by a kid that is learning how to ride a bicycle. His or her parents can teach the child the technique of riding a bicycle but no one can teach how to maintain the balance because that is something that the persons just knows. Maintaining balance while riding a bicycle cannot be taught by someone because every person has a different technique to perform the act. It is an experience and a perception that the person has after having hours or even days of practice. After a while the child will be riding the bike without any difficulty because that is the kind of knowledge the kid has but doesn’t know he or she has inside. This portrays intrinsic knowledge that is what the person knows without even realizing that he or she knows it.
    Last edited by bachman1961; 06-02-2014 at 04:46 PM.

Dont Rep me
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    I think you mean shvance, schlong, or putz. Schwarz mean 'black'.
    You never watched Spaceballs?
    Name:  schwartz.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  27.6 KB

Co Springs

Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Do you watch it at all? They fall on their heads... a lot. A couple have even been hit by cars.

I think bf was just being funny.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Actually he's not He's just taking care he will have enough patients Business only

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post

I think bf was just being funny.
    Actually the only reason they wear helmets is, it is in the rules. Most of those guys only wear a helmet during events, but do not wear them on training rides. Most would not wear one in a race if it was not in the rules.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer.2 View Post
    You never watched Spaceballs?
    Name:  schwartz.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  27.6 KB
    Yeah, long time ago, but I forgot about "May the Schwartz be with you". The missing 't' in your quote threw me off a bit - "schwarz" does mean black. Wikipedia had this for Schwartz.

Schwartz
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Look up Schwarz or schwarz in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

Schwartz may refer to:

Schwartz (surname), a surname (and list of people with the name)
    Schwartz (brand), a spice brand
    The Schwartz, a fictional force in Spaceballs
    Schwartz's, a delicatessen

I do remember Rick Moranis gasping for air under his helmet.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    It's not clear to me what you are trying to say here, but in the video, the guy is trying to make the point of how bad and dangerous cars are, as if he had some secret breaking news that the government is trying to hide from us. (or something..)

My post was just pointing out that it is not a secret. We all know that people die in cars. I happened to know the statistics for the U.S before he even mentioned them in the video. We all know we take a small risk by getting in a car.
    Do I think it's ok that we understand and accept the risk to ourselves and others, in exchange for the benefit of motor vehicle travel? Yes, of course. And so do you, if you drive a car.
    I would agree it's no secret, but wasn't this pretty much the attitude on smoking in rather recent US history? Was anyone really that surprised when they started publishing data on how much they spent on propaganda? And in a similar vein, whether or not you choose to smoke or drive a car, you are endangered being around those who do. But then again, there are a zillion things you could be exposed to that you really have no control over.

I guess the real point I was getting at is that it's sad how many people LIVE in their vehicles who do not actually need to and/or drive impaired on a regular basis, and from the looks of statistics, seem to be responsible for the vast majority of accidents. I suppose that's really what I was getting at. Just another tool that can be used responsibly, or irresponsibly...

I do agree with you 100% as far as the on-topic discussion goes.

mtbr member
    ...helmet never useless. I have bounced off the ground and bounced off trees and cars and hit my helmet wearing noggin and for sure 110% without a helmet at the very least I would have open scalp wounds and one time I would have cracked my skull.

the writer of the study is a complete and utter idiot

mtbr member
    Are people really arguing about the utility of a helmet? Wow. These must be individuals that are young, philosophy-student types. It's a bunch of mental masturbation.
    Life will pound away where the light don't shine, son...

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    Actually the only reason they wear helmets is, it is in the rules. Most of those guys only wear a helmet during events, but do not wear them on training rides. Most would not wear one in a race if it was not in the rules.

You are probably correct if left to their own choice but since it's in the rules, there must be something to it.

- Not sayin' big organizations are immune to making silly decisions or having senseless rules, but I think they got this one right.

No. Just No. Moderator
    You are probably correct if left to their own choice but since it's in the rules, there must be something to it.

- Not sayin' big organizations are immune to making silly decisions or having senseless rules, but I think they got this one right.
    Keep in mind that the UCI and related financial structures around the pro road teams may have had some commercial incentive to get behind the helmet initiative, as helmet companies were probably more willing to invest in sponsorship arrangements when their products were actually being used and worn as something purported to viewers as being very important, not optional, for safety.

The catalyst for pushing through mandatory helmets on the pro road scene was the death of Andrei Kivilev, a former 4th place finisher in the Tour de France whose accident if I recall correctly was while riding uphill at relatively slow speeds (for pro roadies) and simply pitching forward quite awkwardly onto the front portion of his head.

Here's a wiki link that gives a bit more detail concerning the changing of the guard with respect to helmets;

Andrey Kivilev - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Awesome. I think you should stop wearing one.
    ++1

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Thread's been solved a long time but I have a related observation. When I lived near Stanford University and would cut through campus, do the jumps etc. 90% of those kids paying $250k+ for their educations didnt wear helmets ...

$25 helmet , 1 in 10,000 chance of needing it pays even money on the cost of your education alone. Lesson: book smarts isnt real world smarts, it might even push the real world stuff out for text's sakes

DFMBA.org
    Don't show this to the weight weenies.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Keep in mind that the UCI and related financial structures around the pro road teams may have had some commercial incentive to get behind the helmet initiative, as helmet companies were probably more willing to invest in sponsorship arrangements when their products were actually being used and worn as something purported to viewers as being very important, not optional, for safety.

The catalyst for pushing through mandatory helmets on the pro road scene was the death of Andrei Kivilev, a former 4th place finisher in the Tour de France whose accident if I recall correctly was while riding uphill at relatively slow speeds (for pro roadies) and simply pitching forward quite awkwardly onto the front portion of his head.

Here's a wiki link that gives a bit more detail concerning the changing of the guard with respect to helmets;

Andrey Kivilev - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thanks for some background and thoughts on another facet of influence involved.

About 10 years ago, I began looking into motorcycle safety, stats, gear helmets etc... when realizing all my experiences and confidence in years of riding was in the dirt and on trails. I happened upon a nice deal for street bike and there it sat as I realized I needed to up my game and get educated.

There is a certain level of control over mitigating dangers that one has (or feels they have) in the absence of traffic, busy streets and other distractions. On the trail, I ride at my comfortable speed and pace and don't worry about an errant vehicle hitting me or catapulting me into the next zip code.
    *I always wore a m/c helmet on trails but the safety research I did on other factors brought a new respect for the quality of helmets and studies.

I guess the same holds true in my mind for bicycles. I wear the helmet but now I'm thinking it will be equally enlightening if I can find more information on them and/or stats. I may find myself more and more interacting with traffic on the bicycle riding more often and farther etc.... so I'm kind of in the same boat as before.

If indeed, there is little meaningful research or data to support helmet use as a +1 safety advantage, my time will be short spent and boring.

Hopefully I can find some good news though and cite sources so others can make informed decisions if they wish to leave it to the number cruncher's.

mtbr member

Personally I believe wearing a helmet will reduce head injury and I always wear one except when riding along the beach on my cruiser. I have cracked 2 helmets and both times if I was not wearing one I would have sustained definite injuries.

I was just pointing out that some of our top cyclists do not care. In fact last month Chris Horner was hit by a car on a training ride and was not wearing a lid.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast