Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    Sorry to go OT, but this guy thinks it is OK to hit cyclists who are road riders? Did I read that right? WTF!
    It is dangerous to participate in internet forums without an ability to sense sarcasm or humor. Perhaps you need to retake Internet Forums 101.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer.2 View Post
    More likely compensating for his schwarz.
    I think you mean shvance, schlong, or putz. Schwarz mean 'black'.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The replies to this thread are beyond ridiculous. The neurologist is just expressing what is commonly held in certain European countries(but not the UK), bicycle helmets are ridiculous, infective and a determent for the adoption of cycling. In the two countries with the highest modal share for cycling in the developed world, the Netherlands and Denmark, people frown on wearing helmets.

Try to read some of the topics on helmets on the A View from the Cycle Path blog. It is written by a British cycling advocate who eventually moved to the UK and saw first hand how all the stuff he used to believe to promote cycling was wrong(likely helmets fall into this category).

But I will allow the people who in all likelihood move their bicycle more on the back of a car-rack than they ride, try to wax on about this imagined funny opinion on the part of the neurologist. Then again the misplaced emphasis and even legal stipulation to wear one when cycling, is one of the reasons(the biggest reason is the lack of dedicated infrastructure for cycling) almost no one cycles in North America.

mtbr member
    This line of thinking goes along with the group that won't wear seatbelts for fear of drowning in case they run off the road, flip upside down and land in a running stream.
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Compare a bicycle helmet to a motorcycle helmet, a world of difference, although we clock somewhat similar speeds in some situations. In order to actually get bicyclists to wear them they had to be sleeker and lighter. If a person is clocking 30-40 mph and eats sh**, will a bicycle helmet protect their skull? Not always. When a "roadie" fails to use the common sense needed to ride the road, t-bones a car and goes airborne, will that helmet actually protect that hard of an impact? Not always. Will our helmets protect the occasional "lower" speed trail crashes? Seems to.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by youngstrom View Post
    I apologize if this has already made the round (I took a quick look and didn't see it pop up...). A UK neurologist claims that helmets are too flimsy to provide any real protection (think he is talking road riding) and the article even claims there is research that shows cars drive closer to helmeted riders.

Cycle helmets are useless, says brain surgeon - Telegraph
    Hey neurologist,
    I'm going to hit you on the head with this bat. You have a choice:
    1. Wear this here helmet
    2. Don't wear this here helmet.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyFokker View Post
    The replies to this thread are beyond ridiculous. The neurologist is just expressing what is commonly held in certain European countries(but not the UK), bicycle helmets are ridiculous, infective and a determent for the adoption of cycling. In the two countries with the highest modal share for cycling in the developed world, the Netherlands and Denmark, people frown on wearing helmets. Try to read some of the topics on helmets on the A View from the Cycle Path blog. It is written by a British cycling advocate who eventually moved to the UK and saw first hand how all the stuff he used to believe to promote cycling was wrong(likely helmets fall into this category). But I will allow the people who in all likelihood move their bicycle more on the back of a car-rack than they ride, try to wax on about this imagined funny opinion on the part of the neurologist. Then again the misplaced emphasis and even legal stipulation to wear one when cycling, is one of the reasons(the biggest reason is the lack of dedicated infrastructure for cycling) almost no one cycles in North America.
    Yes, you are a prime candidate for cycling without a helmet. Sometimes thinning the herd is a good thing.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Neurologist says bike helmets are useless

If i was wearing a helmet on one particular ride, i wouldn't have scars on my head.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    @tiretracks:
    Probably you are like the typical North American irrelevant so called "cyclist" who moves his bicycle more on some type of car rack to get to the trailhead, group rides, races, the bicycle store for maintenance, etc. And like the typical exemplar of this way, you think cycling is a very dangerous activity.

Reality is that drivers of motor vehicles are actually more at risk of head injury. Here is a video and blog post by someone who actually cycles more than he drives, in a country where many actually do the same, giving sound arguments against cycling helmets:
    TEDxCopenhagen - Mikael Colville-Andersen - Why We Shouldn't Bike with a Helmet(Youtube)

Copenhagenize: Driving Without Dying - Helmets for Motorists

But I guess clever North Americans of MTBR who use their cars to get almost everywhere they need to go whether to work or shopping, know better. They know people should be deterred from cycling, so they can drive easier...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I don't understand how bike racks and helmets have anything to do with each other.. Are we supposed to ride our mountain bikes 20 miles to the trailhead? That's like going on a road trip with a dirt bike.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    There was a thread like this a couple of years ago, where I was first exposed to the idea that anyone could possibly believe that helmets do not offer protection to the head in a crash.

Yes, there are people like that out there.

One argument points to the lack of data, and therefore proof, that helmets are good.
    I don't necessarily condemn people who look for proof. That is generally a good thing.

But, where data is lacking, or where it is difficult to obtain clean data, then one must rely on common sense, or other means, like scientific modeling or experimentation.

Common sense of course, is not as good a method of decision making as you might think, because as you can see, not everyone has it, and they will argue with you over the most obvious of conclusions.

But, we also have science to help us, and it would be quite simple to model forces on the head by various types of impacts, and how a helmet changes those forces. We can also do experiments to actually measure forces from impacts on an object with or without a helmet to disperse the force.

These calculations and experiments have been done, and tell us what common sense tells those who have it; that helmets will reduce the force on the head from an impact.

So for those who are waiting for data to provide proof, wear a helmet while you are waiting, based on scientific modeling, experimentation, and common sense. If that is not enough reason for you, then perhaps there is something to the theory of herd thinning.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    @tiretracks: Probably you are like the typical North American irrelevant so called "cyclist" who moves his bicycle more on some type of car rack to get to the trailhead, group rides, races, the bicycle store for maintenance, etc. And like the typical exemplar of this way, you think cycling is a very dangerous activity. Reality is that drivers of motor vehicles are actually more at risk of head injury. Here is a video and blog post by someone who actually cycles more than he drives, in a country where many actually do the same, giving sound arguments against cycling helmets: TEDxCopenhagen - Mikael Colville-Andersen - Why We Shouldn't Bike with a Helmet(Youtube) Copenhagenize: Driving Without Dying - Helmets for Motorists But I guess clever North Americans of MTBR who use their cars to get almost everywhere they need to go whether to work or shopping, know better. They know people should be deterred from cycling, so they can drive easier...
    I likely ride more in a year than you do in a lifetime, keep posting the same tired link that has nothing what so ever to do with high speed (sometimes extremely high speeds) Mountain Biking. Have fun on your commuter bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Donors

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    deleted
    People that don't wear the proper helmet

Name:  sign-up-button.png
Views: 153
Size:  31.0 KB

Please click ^^

re member
    If I rode trails where I didn't feel the 'need' to wear a helmet, I would quit mountain biking due to boredom.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Deleted, nested in the wrong place.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    @ou2mame:
    I do understand and it is very clear. The average sport and recreational rider in North America uses their motor vehicle to get to everywhere they have to, and their bicycles are just toys for fun, sport, fitness. Often they think they need to wear specialized clothing that is tight spandex even though they don't go fast enough to benefit, just to ride and instead of normal shoes, specialized cleats only suitable for cycling that making walking onerous. The extra burden of a helmet is hardly out of place for this milieu. Besides for this demographic everything that makes cycling appear more dangerous and that deters the general public is to their general interest, since they use the car to commute and shop, so if cycling was widespread it would slow them down behind the wheel when they do the actual activities they need to maintain themselves in life. After-all if we had Dutch type restrictions of speed on residential neighborhoods that make mainstream cycling possible, their commute by car would likely be more difficult.

In a Dutch or Danish forum, the opinion of this neurologist would have been welcomed, because in those countries cycling actually has a decent modal share. But in a North American forum, he is lambasted, because even those who call themselves cyclists want cycling to be perceived as dangerous.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Americans aren't making the general public believe cycling is dangerous. We don't have large metropolitan areas covering our entire country. Cycling safe speed limits are unrealistic everywhere. Nyc is 30mph max, sometimes 10. Off the highway obviously. But if you're expecting a mountain biking forum to embrace the idea that helmets are useless, you have unrealistic expectations.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Warrior's Society
    He is just trying to drum up new buisness.....get people to stop wearing helmets, they get injured, they come in to get treatment. Walla....new vacation home in Aspen.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

re member
    head injury's are for idiots and euros
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Neurologist says bike helmets are useless-nhr.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member

Reality is that drivers of motor vehicles are actually more at risk of head injury. Here is a video and blog post by someone who actually cycles more than he drives, in a country where many actually do the same, giving sound arguments against cycling helmets:
    TEDxCopenhagen - Mikael Colville-Andersen - Why We Shouldn't Bike with a Helmet(Youtube)

Copenhagenize: Driving Without Dying - Helmets for Motorists

But I guess clever North Americans of MTBR who use their cars to get almost everywhere they need to go whether to work or shopping, know better. They know people should be deterred from cycling, so they can drive easier...
    That guy's TED talk is really really bad.

"If word got out how many people die in car crashes, people would stop driving".

Yeah right. Someone should tell that guy that word did get out, and people are still driving.

The assumption that the simple promotion of bike helmets stops people from riding is unfounded, although there probably would be some initial transition period where a population would have to accept it. It's like smoking or civil rights. Societal norms can evolve, and make the old norms look archaic.

He tries to slip in some shady data about how bike helmets actually cause injuries, but the guy is obviously just a biased hack who has no interest in the truth, and is only promoting his own agenda. Being pro-bike is good, but being devious is not.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have not read the whole thread but I am a avid mountain biker who used to commute regularly, and uses a bike as transportation. I live in a Village in BC now but have done plenty of riding in big Canadian cities. My take;

1. For mountain biking I always wear a helmet on the trail. For climbing logging roads I often strap it on my pack. For riding to and from the trail it is often on my pack. I have smashed about 4 helmets mountain biking and appreciate the protection they afford. Mountain bike and you will wreck.

2. Commuting on busy roads in the big city. Almost always wore my helmet. Not sure how much good it will do if I'm hit by a monster truck in Redneckville but I felt better.

3. Running errands off the busy streets I generally don't wear my helmet. Don't care what you think. It is as safe as walking.

If I crash mountain biking it is low speed and a bike helmet works well. For transportation I think it hinders people and makes cycling seem dangerous. It saves a few lives but probably does more harm by keeping cycling seem dangerous. My wife lived in the Netherlands for 4 years and used a bike for transportation and it took some convincing that there are places where it is wise to wear one. If we had more of a cycling culture I would wear it even less. Unfortunately in North America the car is King. It is very true that most North American cyclists see their bike as recreation and fitness not transportation.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    That guy's TED talk is really really bad.

"If word got out how many people die in car crashes, people would stop driving".

Yeah right. Someone should tell that guy that word did get out, and people are still driving.
    I can't imagine you're advancing the idea that as long as people realize they do not care about endangering themselves and others, that makes it good and right?
    If that is true, it certainly makes it reality, but I have to doubt many people think of such a mentality as positive...

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    almost no one cycles in North America.
    Hmmmmm
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    @ou2mame:
    I do understand and it is very clear. The average sport and recreational rider in North America uses their motor vehicle to get to everywhere they have to, and their bicycles are just toys for fun, sport, fitness. Often they think they need to wear specialized clothing that is tight spandex even though they don't go fast enough to benefit,..
    I understand the point you are attepting to make, but you are missing a key point.
    The people here for the most part to do not ride along a 7 mph on bike path in jeans or shorts. Most here are out there to ride for sport. So we push it. When you push it you need to the right gear to get the job done.

For the most part people in USA do not use bike as basic transportation like they do in other places. People here use cars as basic transportation and there is a analogy with cars that I think will help your point.

I drive my car every day in regular clothes and regular shoes. I wear a 3pt seat belt that does not mess up my clothes and allows me to be comfortable and reach things in the car. It is easy to get in and easy to get out.

However I also race cars. When I race my car is on a track and is a very different experience. I have special shoes, special clothes (including special underwear), gloves and a special helmet with a $1000 neck support device. I also have to climb in the car around multiple bars of steel and have 6 point harness that straps me in very tight to my dedicated racing seat (which does not move forward or back without unbolting it). Once strapped in I sweat just sitting there and I can't reach the rear view mirror, but I can reach a little handle that will pull my fire system to dump retardant all over me and various places the car. Plus I need to replace the helmet and seat belts ever few years just because they get "old". This is the safest way to drive a car, but not most convenient.

Now why is there a difference? On the public roads I am not pushing hard I am always keeping in control. Sure bad things can happen, but it just not practical to use race level safety gear in road cars so people don't.

So what does that mean for cycling? If you are riding hard then use the right gear. That could be on the road or dirt, but wear it. I can see your point for casual bike path stuff sub 10 mph. My thinking is that riding at a brisk walking or run pace on very stable terrain does not require a helmet. You could fall while walking just the same and we don't wear helmets for that. However when you start mtn biking the way most of do where we are challenging ourselves on the trails or are going fast on a road bike then the risk of crashing goes up just like when our get out of a road car and start flying around a race track.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Trail Prospector

Re: Neurologist says bike helmets are useless

^ You lost me @ special underwear.

What makes them so special? Shart resistant, methane filtered, self-cleaning, our do they transport you to another solar system?

Back to the show...

(tapa)
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast