Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    1 neurologist?
    His brother is the 1 dentist out of 5 that doesn't recommend Orbit gum.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I hit my head on a tree today. My head is fine. So is my helmet for that matter

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Co Springs
    A helmet or safety thread is a worthwhile use of space here IMO.

The motorcycle forums are full of pretty legit stats both national and sorted by individual States, yet the debate about To Wear or Not to Wear rages to surprising levels.
    That it involves bikes up to 200 hp potentially taking anyone from zero to dead in 3.3 seconds make this discussion seem respectably civil and friendly.

Before getting back to motorcycling, I decided to investigate the world of travel on pavement and thankfully had a hint of knowledge or call it suspicion that my many, many years of riding dirt and trail bikes meant zero as a contrast to modern traffic systems, bigger cities and well, just Traffic in general.
    There's more trucks, bigger trucks and more road rage than ever not to mention the electronic tethers everyone has or 7" video screen dash boards that demand attn at all times and replace the 4 knobs or buttons we used to have.

My motorcycle sat in the garage for almost two years before I schooled myself on things and started looking for riding opportunities with some verve. Prior to that, it was just a short errand to run or a short work commute with limited exposure.

When I consider the helmets I have for the m/c versus the foam hairpiece many bicyclists wear including myself, I just figure it's what is accepted and may reduce injury if or when it's called to duty.
    I'm okay with that and in fact, will likely ride my mtn bike at a leisurely pace more so that I did 8 or 10 years ago. I know there is more protective equip and padded outfits, full face helmets etc... so when I see riders utilizing it and riding more aggressive and faster, I consider them smart people who knowingly enter a world of risk and mitigate it in and responsible way. Things happen, other riders, drivers make mistakes, tires lose air ,,, whatever.

I've had two occasions to bounce back. The first was in 1981 and it would have been a good night to wear football shoulder pads a helmet and.... oh yeah, a seatbelt. Got ejected out of my Jeep by a car that ran a red light in August around 11:30 pm.

In 1995 (April 30 at 1:30 pm) it was a DUI uninsured driver that nailed my car at the driver door, estimated 55- 60 mph and I did have the seatbelt on.

As long as you know the day or time of day you'll need that helmet or other protective gear,, it's all good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    These helmet threads are long on opinion and short on data.
    I know everyone has been taught, "wear a helmet, it is safer".
    It may be true, it may not.
    I would like to see the data rather than conjecture and guesses.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

I like bikes.
    If there is a possibility that wearing a helmet doesn't help but can't hurt....Then why not wear one anyway?

I wear one to protect against low hanging branches more so than a fall. I've ducked on a couple and they bounce right off the helmet. I've bled from doing this without. Lots of low branches around my neck of the woods.
    Also, a helmet will protect the back of your head more so than not which is most crucial and harder to defend yourself against.
    Karakoram...ZS44, X-Fusion, Freq i23, Tioga's, Shadow & XT,Shim Hydro 180/160, MG-1 pedals & more.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Neurologist says bike helmets are useless

It defies logic that this is debatable.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: Neurologist says bike helmets are useless

Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Validate me!
    Yes. There is no difference between you, an a/c repair person, and Einstein, Sagan, Hawking, NDT, etc...except a bit of training.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Not a helmet, a Yamakelmet. I dunno, my kid came off his bike last mother's day doing 25, hit pavement and tore the crap out of his elbows and legs. His helmet was abraded clear through the outter shell and there were several cracks. His head (other than being distorted from his "my everything hurts" face) was fine. +1 vote on the wear a helmet side.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Co Springs
    Yeah, we need a massive cost government study to tell us what to do about saving our own a$$.

I think some of us can figure out what stats might lean toward if it's a question of wearing some protective gear as it relates to safety, reduced injury or reduced medical needs / costs. A helmet can be had for $40 but co-pays, cosmetic fixes or X-Rays might end up being the wake up call that substitutes for logic, experience or common sense.

Reminds me of the seat-belt debate where a car fire or a drowning took lives supposedly due to not getting out because of the seat-belt versus hundred of lives saved every day.

The angst involved in the debate is logical. Common sense, logic and experience tell us what happens if we don't wear sunscreen, safety glasses when wood-working, gloves when handling wood that slivers etc.... I can't imagine being on the wrong side of that debate.
    I don't ask others why or why not because it's their decision but they'd do a lot better IMO if asked or compelled to comment just to Man Up and say; "it won't happen to me"or "I choose not to mess up my hair and get sweaty" or "I don't mind taking a bit extra risk b/c I don't want to wear that ---- thing."

Data and stats probably won't show that Yes, skiers and snowboarders still whack trees at crazy speed and the helmet didn't help their thorax or save their life.

One of the safety strategies I see used every day is the bright colored helmeted motorcyclist. Just by getting a lighter color or a bright day-glo shade, they are more easily spotted on the roads and in traffic. Visual conspicuity is a goal for many riders as a side benefit of wearing a helmet. Their riding position puts that helmet up high where many can see it a few cars ahead and might otherwise just blend in.

If nothing else, maybe we can agree to not blend in !

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Neuro Surgeon. I work with surgeons. If there's another group of people who are as arrogant and think they know more, I hope I never meet them.

He's a neuro surgeon. He's not a physicist. He's not a safety engineer. The only thing he know about head injury is how to fix the damage after it happens.

Personally I have whacked my head pretty good on tree branches and was glad I was wearing my helmet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    It defies logic that this is debatable.

I know, to crush your skull or not to crush? Hmmmm, let me think that over........ It is true that helmets have limited abilities as far as preventing concussions but tests have shown that slowing the brains deceleration rate even milliseconds can make a significant difference in their severity.

Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post

Here's some data, I've thumped my head pretty hard both with and without a helmet and although in both cases it pretty much sucked I can say wholeheartedly that I preferred the helmeted version.

I'm in the market for a new lid and the MIPS (Multi-directional impact protection system) technology looks interesting.

Retro on Steroids
    Most of us who wear helmets have been glad on occasion that we did. Myself included.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    So if that neurosurgeon suggests that not wearing a helmet is just as safe as wearing one, he then if fact is a un-informed and a complete idiot. When riding down mountain passes at seemly warp speeds as we do a lot in my neck of the woods, you do question the safety of your riding gear, team kit and a Giro Atmos helmet, hitting the pavement at 50+, probably not going to do much but I'll take that risk anyway and will always use a helmet.
    One of my worst injuries was a day that " I don't need my helmet, I'm just going to cruise along the beach path", were I took this double jump, a jump that I've done 100 times before, all went wrong right after I launched and landing on my left side of my head, causing severe damage, which I was lucky was not permanent, but did require plastic surgery to my ear, nose and eye. From that day forward ( December 28, 1988) I always wear a helmet and suggest everyone else does too, but it's comes down to everyone's own choice.
    Last edited by Hurricane Jeff; 05-31-2014 at 10:31 PM.

High Desert MTBer
    Hard data aside, I think there is sufficient anecdotal evidence that wearing a helmet is desirable if you want to mitigate the severity of certain injuries. Personally, after riding motorbikes at speed on the roads for over 40 years, NOT wearing a helmet is just plain idiotic. I have good reason(s) to believe this.
    I do not have a road bicycle, and go out of my way to not have to ride on the road, so wearing a helmet on the road is not an issue for me. If I am riding a trail that has few rocks and is pretty flat, I will often not wear my helmet, and consider that an acceptable risk. In over 50 years of riding bicycles, that has worked for me just fine. However, as soon as I get into any chunk, and things start to get more gravitational, I always put it on. I carry it strapped to my pack. Personally, I find bicycle helmets uncomfortable, and before anyone says I don't have the right one, I have tried many over the years.
    I find it annoying when busybodies decide they need to educate me as to my stupidity if they meet me when I am not wearing my helmet out there. Acceptable risk... for me.
    It's all Here. Now.

Co Springs
    During the Middle Ages, probably one of the biggest mistakes was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

jack handy

FKA Malibu412
    I've crashed hard enough to crack helmets. Threw them away and bought a new ones. Try doing that with your skull. All the anecdotal I need.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    I've crashed hard enough to crack helmets. Threw them away and bought a new ones. Try doing that with your skull. All the anecdotal I need.
    Yeah, I've smacked my head a few times, no doubt the helmet helped me out.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    So all those dings and dents on my helmets means they're "useless?" I think not. I'll keep wearing my brain bucket.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I can't say that a helmet has ever prevented brain damage or a concussion for myself, but it sure as **** let me keep the skin on my head and face quite a few times. I wouldn't call that useles.

official eMpTyBRain
    I assume that if you hit hard enough, your brain will bounce off the inside of your skull and damage itself. However, there is STRONG evidence proving that wearing a helmet SAVES LIVES and minimizes head trauma.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    ALLWAYS get a 2nd or 3rd or 4th opinion with neurologist's, you can trust me on this

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    ALLWAYS get a 2nd or 3rd or 4th opinion with neurologist's, you can trust me on this
    I don't know if I can with that inappropriate use of an apostrophe.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    +1

The article is all "he said, she said". It would be more interesting if the journalist had actually taken the time to support what was said rather than throw some anecdotes into the mix.

I think most of us wear helmets because we think they help protect us, but I'll admit I've never really seen any data that supports helmets do much, if anything, when needed. (Because I haven't looked, not for any other reason.) It is clearly an interesting observation that drivers think that helmeted riders are more "sensible, predictable and experienced" and drive closer when passing.

I can see how helmets perhaps give a false sense of security and if a truck bashes into you at 20mph, the helmet could be a considered "too flimsy".

I'm going to keep wearing my helmet because it makes me feel better (and I look cool too!) but I'm certainly not going to be dogmatic about it and yell "YOU SHOULD WEAR A HELMET YOU IDIOT!!" when I brush cyclist back to the side of the road zooming by in my car anymore.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Semitone View Post
    I'm going to keep wearing my helmet because it makes me feel better (and I look cool too!) but I'm certainly not going to be dogmatic about it and yell "YOU SHOULD WEAR A HELMET YOU IDIOT!!" when I brush cyclist back to the side of the road zooming by in my car anymore.
    So are you admitting that you purposefully fail to give cyclists enough room when driving?
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've done 2 backward rolls in past few years and was very thankful for my helmet as it rolled across the jagged rocks. Camel back was excellent padding as well on that last wreck.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast