Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need some help with XT brakes (2 issues)

940 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  mizzaboom 
#1 ·
These brakes are brand new and are my first set of hydros (completely new bike). I have used them on-trail for two rides and a half dozen very mellow 3-4 mile road rides with my dog. Anyways, this morning I was getting the bike out to ride with the dog and noticed the front pads/rotor were making a slight squeak when turned very slowly. This subsided at speed but I am wondering what I need to do in order to eliminate the rubbing before it turns into more of an issue.

Secondly, the rear lever feels a bit "clunky". When I pull to engage the brake everything works fine as far as stopping, feel, and modulation. However, when I release the lever it doesn't seem to spring back into the correct position. I have to give it a nudge from the back side to get back into normal position. When I give the nudge there is a hitch/clunk in the action. What could be causing this and how can I remedy it?

Is it worth dropping by the LBS to have the lever inspected and possibly replaced or am I over thinking a simply fixed problem?

I hope those are enough details and any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
There could be several causes for these issues on brakes with a couple hundred miles on them (contamination around the piston could cause the problem with the sticking lever, a wheel that you removed and put back on could be misaligned for the rubbing issue) . For new brakes, I'd just go back to the LBS and have them look at them.

#3 ·
Thanks, MSU. I don't think the wheel is misaligned. That was the first thing I checked but I will admit I didn't check very closely as I was in a bit of a hurry to get the ride in and get off to work.

The lever issue is way more of a concern than the squeaky rotor. I am just new to hydros and don't want to start fiddling with something that I could probably screw up in a hurry. Safest bet will probably be to stop by the LBS I suppose.

#5 ·
So, I just called the LBS to describe the problems and see if they could take a look at it tomorrow. The sales guy that I bought the bike from (2 weeks ago) said "yeah, bring it in and if we can't fix it right then we can at least give you an estimate".

An estimate? Is this a WTF moment or what? I've ridden the bike on-trail twice with no impacts/crashes. Would I be out of line to expect them to just take care of what seem to be two minor issues?

#7 ·
Did you tell the LBS that you just bought the bike? Even if you did, call back and politely explain that it is a problem with a new bike that you bought from them, and that you don't think you should have to pay for what is essentially a pre-existing issue.

If they still want to charge you, ask to speak to the manager. If you don't get a satisfactory resolution, tell them they've lost a customer.

So, I just called the LBS to describe the problems and see if they could take a look at it tomorrow. The sales guy that I bought the bike from (2 weeks ago) said "yeah, bring it in and if we can't fix it right then we can at least give you an estimate".

An estimate? Is this a WTF moment or what? I've ridden the bike on-trail twice with no impacts/crashes. Would I be out of line to expect them to just take care of what seem to be two minor issues?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

#10 ·
Brought my bike in last night. The front pads had already corrected themselves so I had a tech look at the lever. He threw it on the stand, turned a few screws/bolts and 5 mins later said brought her out and said "all set", didn't charge me anything and was really cool about it. Rode today and everything is perfect. The salesman I referenced before saw me come in, saw me standing at waiting for the bike, and saw me leave...never said a word. And I know he remembers me and the bike. I guess from now on I will just deal with the service guys at this shop because they have all been great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.