mtbr member

Need sizing advice !

I currently ride a 29 er HT with a 21 inch frame and want to purchase a FS 29 er and not sure what size to go with. No bike shops have both in stock for me to ride. I test rode a 19 inch and the two fellows in the bike shop said I looked a little too upright.

The next size up is a 21 inch and the stand over is very tight ( 3/4 of an inch more than my HT) but the cockpit length is about the same.

So, do I go with a 19 inch for the more comfortable stand over & extend the stem

OR

go for the 21 inch and have the really tight stand over ?

(one shop was going to call Trek tech adviser with the dimensions)

Thanks!

local trails rider
    Are there other bike models that you could try?

I'd always go for good cockpit length. A bit of standover is nice to have but it is not essential, unless you are doing big jumps, stunts, and tricks.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    Are there other bike models that you could try?

I'd always go for good cockpit length. A bit of standover is nice to have but it is not essential, unless you are doing big jumps, stunts, and tricks.
    I cannot find the bike I would like to buy in any of the bike shops I called and I did call all within an hour of my house.
    The size with the tight stand over had the same cockpit length as my current HT, which is comfortable.

I agree with your comment and will go with the same CP dimension. Thanks!

Plays with tools
    Nobody can fit you over the internet.