Transplant

Need Schwinn Homegrown Pro 2001 specs

Hey everyone, just got an orange NOS Schwinn Homegrown Pro frame from 2001and need to figure out the sizes for everything. I have not received the frame yet but I want to start building it up. I guess the sizes I specifically need are:

-Headtube
    -Seatube (for front derailleur)
    -BB shell
    -Seat Post diameter

If anyone can help me out that would be awesome. Didn't see a Schwinn specific forum (probably because no one wants to answer questions about wal-mart bikes) so if the thread moves, not a big deal. Thanks!

-Keith

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    I've got a homegrown pro in matte black that I converted to SS. Bike accelerates like a rocket, which is nice since the fork, brakes, and wheels came off a Schwinn Rocket 88 Disc.

The seatpost is 26.8. BB is standard. Headtube is 1 1/8 but uses the integrated headset. Don't know the diameter for the front derailleur.

These bikes are definitely not wally world schwinns. It's sad that schwinn has gone this route with their once great bikes.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

contains quinine
    That's a great bike, I always wanted one, and in that very color! Instead I have a year older's bass boat blue, which isn't bad either!

Schwinn is linked to GT and Mongoose in the manufacturer forums. You might try over there. You could also contact this current Schwinn dealer, as he's got a lot of info floating around his head about that model Homegrown.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Transplant
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    That's a great bike, I always wanted one, and in that very color! Instead I have a year older's bass boat blue, which isn't bad either!

Schwinn is linked to GT and Mongoose in the manufacturer forums. You might try over there. You could also contact this current Schwinn dealer, as he's got a lot of info floating around his head about that model Homegrown.
    Yeah its always been my dream bike but man Bass Boat Blue was the color I wanted :-) With the shiny specks in front that was a beauty of a bike. I think I can make do with the Orange though. Thanks Homer for all that info. I had no idea the headset was integrated, that may make my search for parts a little bit harder. Sounds like everything else is pretty close to normal though. Thanks Debaser for the link, I will see if I can rack their brain to bring the specs to light.

-Keith

Don't touch me!
    Quote Originally Posted by ekoostick
    Hey everyone, just got an orange NOS Schwinn Homegrown Pro frame from 2001and need to figure out the sizes for everything. I have not received the frame yet but I want to start building it up. I guess the sizes I specifically need are:

-Headtube
    -Seatube (for front derailleur)
    -BB shell
    -Seat Post diameter

If anyone can help me out that would be awesome. Didn't see a Schwinn specific forum (probably because no one wants to answer questions about wal-mart bikes) so if the thread moves, not a big deal. Thanks!

-Keith
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but the 2001 Homegrown Pro was blue. I believe you have a 2000, still the same great frame, just no rear I.S. disc mount.

I built mine up with a 68mm bb shell, works fine.
    26.8 seatpost
    1 1/8 steerer
    [SIZE=3]No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

[/SIZE][SIZE=1]MCM# eleventy billion

[SIZE=2]No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

Transplant
    Quote Originally Posted by beeristasty
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but the 2001 Homegrown Pro was blue. I believe you have a 2000, still the same great frame, just no rear I.S. disc mount.

I built mine up with a 68mm bb shell, works fine.
    26.8 seatpost
    1 1/8 steerer
    No bubble bursted, I was just happy to find a NOS Homegrown frame. Here is the pic and this was my point of reference for calling it a 2001:

This is not the bike I got buts its an identical frame. The only problem though is that it came today and the headset doesn't work. It is a Race Face Deus XC and I was going to press it in but it slides right into the frame without any resistence. Does this indicate the integrated headet or is it 1-1/4"? Thanks for all the help so far guys. BTW this one has some sort of disc brake mount. Its flat though, I am not sure what thats called. Using XTR V's anyway so really doesn't matter.

-Keith

Don't touch me!
    Yep, its an integrated headset (not to be confused with internal or zero stack). The headtube is machined to accept sealed cartridge bearings sans headset cups. I know Cane Creek has produced bearings that will fit, the fork crown race looks to be standard, but finding the upper bearing cap/cover/piece might entail a good amount of searching.

There are 6 pieces to the headset, from bottom up: the fork crown race, a rubber seal, sealed cartridge bearings, sealed cartridge bearings, lockring, bearing cap/cover/peice. Once you get everything you need, be sure to use some sort of lower headset cover, such as a lizard skins headset seal (I use a homemade thingy made of an old peice of innertube and velcro), because the lower bearings will get water in them and they will rust.

The disc mount is a 22mm direct mount, not very popular today, especially on XC bikes.
    [SIZE=3]No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

[SIZE=2]No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

Transplant
    Darn it. OK so would the new Chris King headset work?

Or either of this Cane Creek ones?

Man I have never even dealt with an integrated headset. Do I need a special type of press or will my Park one do the trick? Looks like its going to be harder to line up and press. Thanks

-Keith

Don't touch me!
    No pressing is needed. The cups are (machined into) the headtube. You need an ICBM headset, which is basically a couple of cartridge bearings, a seal, a compression ring, a fork crown race, and an upper bearing cover. I'd contact Cane Creek to see if they can get you an ICBM headset, or if they could point you in the right direction.

Just found this on their site, they have the instructions for the ICBM here:
    http://canecreek/207.html

Hopefully they can hook you up.

[/SIZE]

Transplant
    Thanks beer! Man this doesn't sound like its going to be fun. I work at a shop but it doesn't look like quality or downeast sell such a product anymore. Will need to venture out and find one on the web I guess. Thanks again

-Keith

mtbr member

Contact Cane Creek

They will have one for ya!! I had a extra laying around, if I can find it I will PM ya. I loved my Moab, pretty much the same geometry, just different aluminum. Have fun, and post pics after you build it up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ekoostick
    Thanks beer! Man this doesn't sound like its going to be fun. I work at a shop but it doesn't look like quality or downeast sell such a product anymore. Will need to venture out and find one on the web I guess. Thanks again

-Keith

Transplant
    Thank you everyone very much. Just got off the phone with Cane Creek and they have a VERY limited supply left so I picked up 2. They were $38 + $4 shipping. I think by very limited it was in the ballpark of around 20 or so. So if you need one you should probably look into getting it soon. Thanks for all the help again and I am sure I will have a couple more questions when I go to install it.

-Keith