mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Need Pedal Suggestion

I recently tried a pair of SPD pedals on my mountain bike and the twist of the ankle (swinging the heel outward) required to unclip is very painful due to a previous ankle injury.
    I have toe clips on my road bike and thinking of putting some on my mountain bike but I am aware of the dangers of those.
    Do I have any other options for clips-less that doesn't require a "twist" to unclip?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Flats,the multi release Shimano's might be a option.

mtbr member
    Adjust for less release effort?

Maybe these SHIMANO CLICK'R - TECHNOLOGIES - CYCLING FOOTWEAR AND PEDALS - LIFESTYLE GEAR - SHIMANO with less spring tension and less release angle. Or a pedal easier to get in and out of like Crank Bros. Another thing to consider, idk if it will help with your issue, but a big grippy clipless platform pedal like Crank Bros Mallets, paired with a soft grippy mtb, good for hiking shoe will be totally different as far as ease of float and easy out, compared to less platform pedal like eggbeater paired with a hard/less traction road type shoe.

Maybe some type of strap Power Grips Pedal Kit - Modern Bike

If you've never tried a good set of pinned platforms coupled with a pair of flat bottomed shoes like 5.10, skate or basketball, you will be wow'd
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    Flats,the multi release Shimano's might be a option.
    i switched to multi release and they have saved a few times from painful falls with the ez quick release. Still have to twist out but not as much as regular spd

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Shimano multi release cleats and back off the tension on the pedals. They should release very easy. If not just go with flat pedals and Fiveten shoes. Clips and straps are a PINA on a mountainbike. I know as I used them back in the old days.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Adjust for less release effort?

Maybe these SHIMANO CLICK'R - TECHNOLOGIES - CYCLING FOOTWEAR AND PEDALS - LIFESTYLE GEAR - SHIMANO with less spring tension and less release angle. Or a pedal easier to get in and out of like Crank Bros. Another thing to consider, idk if it will help with your issue, but a big grippy clipless platform pedal like Crank Bros Mallets, paired with a soft grippy mtb, good for hiking shoe will be totally different as far as ease of float and easy out, compared to less platform pedal like eggbeater paired with a hard/less traction road type shoe.

Maybe some type of strap Power Grips Pedal Kit - Modern Bike

If you've never tried a good set of pinned platforms coupled with a pair of flat bottomed shoes like 5.10, skate or basketball, you will be wow'd

I used Power Grips for years then switched to Crank Bros but after a few nasty falls because I couldn't unclip I just switched to flats and Five Ten shoes, I haven't ridden them enough to determine if they are right for me but so far so good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Need Pedal Suggestion

Dmr vaults with 5-tens shoes, sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Flat pedals are where it's at man.

**** wearing goofy shoes every time you want to take a ride.