mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Need a frame mount or small air pump

As title said I need a frame mount small air pump. I bought one off amazon and it take FOREVER to get up to 40 psi on 29x2.0 tire.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You're not gonna get to 40psi very easily with one of those portable handheld pumps. That's a lot of work.
    Best bet is to get a good floor pump or air compressor for the house, and (my personal feeling) CO2 cartridges for the ride to accompany the hand pump. You can use the pump for volume and the CO2 for topping off the pressure.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    You're not gonna get to 40psi very easily with one of those portable handheld pumps. That's a lot of work.
    Best bet is to get a good floor pump or air compressor for the house, and (my personal feeling) CO2 cartridges for the ride to accompany the hand pump. You can use the pump for volume and the CO2 for topping off the pressure.

How do you regulate PSI with c02 ? I would want to carry one not both, just more gear and weight. Is a PSI gauge needed to be carried with you? I've looked at Lezyne and Topeak

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Go with the topeak morph, great pump. You can get close enough with pressure just by feel.

Front Range, Colorado
    The best one on the market is the Topeak Two Timer it is a pump on one end and a CO-2 on the other end. It's only 7" long and works amazing. Topeak makes top notch products. I've had mine for several years. Not many shops stock them I had to have my LBS special order it. Or you can buy it online. It fits both shrader and presta so you can't go wrong, any situation pump & CO-2.
    Two Timer - YouTube

Go here for overview of it. TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - Two Timer
    Review here. Topeak Two Timer pump | BikeRadar
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 04-12-2013 at 01:22 AM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have a little lezayne that has a hose to attach the pump to the tube , this hose is used for the co2 catridge, very handy

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    What about the lezyane Micro Floor Drive HP-Guage

It's 100 grams lighter and 2 inches shorter than the turbo Morph and mountain Morph (40 grams)
    Last edited by Djstorm100; 04-12-2013 at 05:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    How do you regulate PSI with c02 ? I would want to carry one not both, just more gear and weight. Is a PSI gauge needed to be carried with you? I've looked at Lezyne and Topeak
    I go off feel. I'm only going to be within a stones throw of knowing what the pressure is, but I will know if there is obviously too little or too much.
    If you are worried about weight, then just find the smallest portable hand pump you can. CO2 setups don't weigh much as far as I can tell, but I'm not a weight watcher, so it may be more then you want to deal with.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have the Lezyne mini pump with abs flex hose. Its very light, very easy to pump, and mounted under my waterbottle holder. Its very small and weights even less than it looks, but big enough to actually pump air. There are 2 versions; the HV (high volume, goes to 90 psi) and HP (high pressure, goes to 120 psi). Same price, same size.

The hose makes inflating a lot easier compared to ones without. I plan on getting the hose with a built in pressure gauge. The hoses that work with CO2 hoses are different just in case you thought they all did.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Performance wise what is the main difference between the HV and HP. With HP more strokes than the HV if airing up the same size tire? I can't find one with the guage, nice little feature. At the same time something else to break. If you fall or something like that.

Front Range, Colorado
    Performance wise what is the main difference between the HV and HP. With HP more strokes than the HV if airing up the same size tire? I can't find one with the guage, nice little feature. At the same time something else to break. If you fall or something like that.
    Did you check out the links I provided above. The Topeak Two Timer is the perfect solution to a stress free ride. A capable pump on one end and a CO-2 on the other. The CO-2 cartridge is stored inside the pump. It's short at 7" and light. Both ends will fit Shrader & Presta and it's made by Topeak which is top notch quality. And it comes with a plastic frame mount with Velcro straps and screws. It's small enough I carry mine in my pack.
    Just carry an extra gauge. Check out the links I provided in my post above.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Did you check out the links I provided above. The Topeak Two Timer is the perfect solution to a stress free ride. A capable pump on one end and a CO-2 on the other. The CO-2 cartridge is stored inside the pump. It's short at 7" and light. Both ends will fit Shrader & Presta and it's made by Topeak which is top notch quality. And it comes with a plastic frame mount with Velcro straps and screws. It's small enough I carry mine in my pack.
    Just carry an extra gauge. Check out the links I provided in my post above.
    I did and I honestly don't know much about using c02 or how you would stop it from busting your newly installed tube. The youtube video however did not work.

Front Range, Colorado
    I did and I honestly don't know much about using c02 or how you would stop it from busting your newly installed tube. The youtube video however did not work.
    It's simple to use and the beauty of this system is you have a pump and a CO-2 all in one. If you have a flat replace the tube or patch it. Then use the pump side to pump a few pounds in just to seat the tire in the rim. Then switch over to the CO-2 side and give it a small blip then stop. You then check your pressure with the gauge. Then use the pump side to get to the desired pressure. Way faster and way more convenient. Plus you have both options pump or CO2 depending on the situation. If your just adding a pound or two on a low tire just use the pump side.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 04-12-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Trailhead Poseur
    Yes, the HP will go to a higher pressure, but (for a given sized tire) needs more pumps to do so. It's really intended for road bike tires, which are high pressure but relatively low volume. HV moves more air per stroke, but can't pump to as high a pressure. This makes it better suited to MTB tires, which have large volume and fairly low pressures.

The ones with the gauges have the letter "G" in the product name: HVG/HPG. They have an inline pressure gauge built in to the hose.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jjaguar View Post
    Yes, the HP will go to a higher pressure, but (for a given sized tire) needs more pumps to do so. It's really intended for road bike tires, which are high pressure but relatively low volume. HV moves more air per stroke, but can't pump to as high a pressure. This makes it better suited to MTB tires, which have large volume and fairly low pressures.

The ones with the gauges have the letter "G" in the product name: HVG/HPG. They have an inline pressure gauge built in to the hose.
    Right, I knew the specs on them just curious how much different they really were. Because amazon doesn't have the HVG but has the HP-G.

mtbr member

Re: Need a frame mount or small air pump

My lezyne is amazing.

I just want to know why you want 40psi on a mt bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    They call the hose with built in pressuge gauge the "Pen Gauge". The hose is stored inside the pump when your not using it so you wont have to worry about the gauge breaking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Need a frame mount or small air pump

Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    My lezyne is amazing.

I just want to know why you want 40psi on a mt bike?
    Playing around with psi and trails. Plus I still have a tube. I know I can go down to 33 psi but I also ride greenways( pavement

mtbr member
    My 8 year old plastic Crank Bro's pump is finally starting to give me a hard time but that thing has performed well beyond it's $15 price tag and is small and light.

My next one will probably be a Lezyne though because I think the flexible hose attachment is a big improvement over the standard direct connect that every other pump has, which can easily break a valve stem if you're not careful.

mtbr member

Playing around with psi and trails. Plus I still have a tube. I know I can go down to 33 psi but I also ride greenways( pavement
    Oh. Btw the Leyzene or toppeak are still awesome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i had to find one to fit in my bag and the shortest i could find was the crankbrothers at 143 mm/5.6". These are now extinct i think as they now make a new line w/ the shortest being 171 mm. Pricepoint still has them for 18 bucks. Works well enough w/ a volume or high pressure switch.

Name:  245_crbpp7_blk_0.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  7.8 KB

mtbr member

My crank bros is the worst pump I've ever used. Sorry. Didn't know it till I tried the leyzene.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    yes it is somewhat delicate , not quite a pos, but no strap on to frame or having to wear a pack is its worth