Thread: neck brace?

mtbr member

neck brace?

I've been recently riding some rougher, tougher trails and have been thinking about neck braces. TBH it's not really something I want to get. (mostly because of money but also because it just looks like a pain) I would like to know if you think it's necessary.
    Also I don't have a full face helmet so If you think it's necessary can you show me some not to expensive neck braces and helmets that will work with each other.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    They really aren't a pain and definitely worth whatever slight annoyance they may be. I know I have felt mine stop my head from tweaking a couple times. Now whether or not I would have a broken neck or not without it, I will never know, but I do know there is a sense of security there. They really aren't all that expensive when you think about the cost of your fork or wheels or shock or drive-train, much less the entire bike price.

Whether or not it is necessary is up to you. You need to judge the risk of the trails you ride, how much risk YOU take, how much risk you want to take in the future (they don't work if you buy the brace AFTER the injury haha), and your overall desire to start FR/DH riding. I know when I got mine I got a small boost of pseudo-confidence so you have to make sure not to let that get a hold of you and get you into a situation where you could really mess yourself up with or without the brace.

Well as far as I know, there are no neck braces that work with typical helmets, they must be full face. I would head to your LBS or a moto cycles shop and try on helmets there since the fits vary a good amount from helmet to helmet. As far as the moto vs. bike helmet debate is concerned, you will hear varied answers. I ride a moto helmet when I DH and it feels very safe, more so that the Remedy I used to use. That being said, fit is ore important than type. There are a lot of braces on the market too not with Leatt still leading, I think. Look around though and do some more research before you jump into it. Good luck.

mtbr member
    will the 661 comp shifted helmet work with a neck brace?
    Last edited by jamface54; 02-22-2013 at 04:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i think most ff helmets work with most braces, so you should be good. Personally, I feel a good suit of armor will protect you better in most crashes, rather than a neckbrace that will save you in a really rare gnarly situation. The ultimate would be ff + brace + armor, but if you are starting out id recommend an armor suit and ff over the brace

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    also, from experience, protect you joints (elbows, knees). These will be banged up a ton more in day to day then your neck getting tweaked

mtbr member
    Yeah i already wear knee/shin, elbow and forearm guards.
    Does anyone have first hand experiences with the 661 comp shifted helmet and if it's compatible with neck braces. It's just it's considerably cheaper than many other top end full face helmets.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    my friend wears his with his leatt, it works

mtbr member
    Thank you. Do you know which leatt he has?

mtbr member
    what about the EVS R4 NECK BRACE ?
    Are they any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brace-Collar...1630454&sr=8-1
    Last edited by jamface54; 02-23-2013 at 11:23 AM.

mtbr member
    bump?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jamface54 View Post
    Thank you. Do you know which leatt he has?
    dont know, i think one in the middle of the range